Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Have I been prescribed wrong HRT?  (Read 2753 times)

pebbles

Have I been prescribed wrong HRT?
« on: August 09, 2018, 07:58:21 PM »

I am 55 and my last period was a few weeks ago. Last one before that was Dec 17.
My GP prescribed Evorel conti patches however i have just looked at the information leaflet and it says that to use it you should not have had a period for 18 months ?
Does anyone know is this ok to use ?
Many thanks

grumpyjane

Re: Have I been prescribed wrong HRT?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 11:22:16 PM »

Hi pebbles
I noticed this on your other post. I think - and hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong - that you should be on Evorel sequi as you are still having natural periods. Albeit not regular. You need to be a full year past your last period to take a conti HRT.
Phone your GP.
J xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 08:38:49 AM »

Hi pebbles - you are right to question this - you need a sequential hrt.
Also the patches are medium dose and I always think it is better to start on a low dose - so don't give the body too big a hit of hormones straight off. Why not ask for Femoston 1/10 sequi ?
If you really want a transdermal hrt then you could ask for separate oestrogen(as gel or patch )and progesterone pills (Utrogestan or Provera) that you take for 12 days each month but this regime can be a bit of a hassle. Femoston 1/10 May be a good first option as it's easier to pop one pill a day. DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 04:18:46 PM »

It's also good to start with a cyclical HRT anyway so that you can see how you get on with the progestogen phase of the cycle - and then switch to continuous combined in your case after about a year - if you prefer to try the no-bleed type.

I started on medium dose patch - Evorel sequi when I first started HRT in late peri-menopause (previous period 5 months earlier but one before that several months earlier) at age almost 54 - and was fine with that - and have mostly only ever been on (approx) this dose of oestrogen (50 mcg patch) for the past 11 + years on HRT.

As the others say you should be on the sequi version, and perhaps as Dancinggirl suggests you could start on a lower dose - so half a patch for the first few weeks and see how you get on - although you may well be fine with it as you may be late peri by now - depending what your periods were doing before December?

Hurdity x

pebbles

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 06:54:29 PM »

thanks for your replies. this is just what I don't need as it is so difficult to actually see a doctor. It is not possible to get an appointment for a day that suits, you have to phone at 08.30 tell receptionist what is wrong and then doctor phones you back. this plays havoc if i am at work as you don't know when they are going to phone. they will then offer you an appointment but i might be at work by then which is 40 minutes away. I am just so disappointed that she has got it wrong.
In 2017 i had four periods and this year so far I have had one.
should I just use half a patch ? do you just cut it in half? Dr has prescribed two patches per week.
what are the risks of continuing with it as it is?
agh !

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 08:12:00 PM »

pebbles - I really wouldn't use the patches you have been given - you may end up with erratic bleeding and, as Hurdity has pointed out, starting with a conti HRt is not the best idea anyway.   So sorry to hear your have a surgery that has such a complicated appointment system.  Could you simply write a letter and hand it in? DG x

pebbles

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 09:00:58 PM »

ok I will take it off. Thanks for your advice, i so dont want eratic bleeding.
I am so disappointed as it took me so long to decide to go for it.
thanks again

grumpyjane

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 09:53:18 PM »

I think I would phone and ask to speak to the practice manager. Explain that the GP has given you incorrect medication, and that you need it corrected immediately. Hopefully that should get them moving.  :)
I had to speak to the PM at my surgery after a GP had told me I didn't need progesterone with  oestrogel as it was "only transdermal" I knew better than that.
Not easy to do this sort of thing when you feel crap, but take a deep breath, be strong and do it! Don't give up, because once you have the right hrt I'm sure things will improve. Good luck.
Jane x

pebbles

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 08:18:36 AM »

Thank you for replies , I wonder if anyone could have a look at this site.
It is the nhs nice guidelines for hrt.
www.gah.nhs.uk
Am I right in understanding that as long as you are 54 you can have Evorel Conti ?
This contradicts instruction leaflet grr ???

Dotty

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 08:29:09 AM »

Hi the guidelines do state that you can have continuous hrt after 54 or 12 months after your last period. I think the age guidance is for ladies who have been taking hrt and so don't know if they are post menopause or not. They work on the idea that most ladies are post meno at 54 but that is not always the case.

You can try the Evorel Conti patches. They won't hurt you but you may find that you get breakthrough bleeding if your body is not ready for a continuous hrt. You may find that this bleeding will settle down . Breakthrough bleeding can happen in first 6 mo this of any new hrt.

Give them a try and see how you feel.

pebbles

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 09:57:02 AM »

Thank you so much for your post .

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 09:39:58 PM »

Pebbles, the same thing happened to me. I rang the surgery and said I had been prescribed the wrong thing. The GP rang me back very apologetic and issued a new prescription for sequi I picked up from the surgery the same day. You shouldn't have to wait for an appointment. I tend to believe the info issued by the drug company as they should know. I was 57 & in peri.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 01:24:19 PM »

I personally think it is better to start on a sequential hrt if you are Peri meno at any age. Erratic or problematic bleeding can be such a nuisance and this is more likely to happen if you are still producing some oestegn yourself. DG x

pebbles

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 07:35:51 PM »

Hi everyone , thanks for your messages . I know it is early days but I am feeling a bit better. There is a small shift in my mood. So far I have not had any side effects - no bleeding although do feel a bit bloated and like I have put Weight  on . However I just want to continue with Everol conti , will it do me any harm do you know ? Thanks again everyone

Dotty

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 06:35:04 AM »

Hi Pebbles ..... Evorel Conti won't harm you. Am I right that you were 11 months without a period when you started it? You might get some breakthrough bleeding in the first 6 months and then hopefully it will settle. If your body isn't ready for a continuous hrt then the bleeding may continue past 6 months and then you may have to decide to try a different one or try Sequi hrt.

There are lots of women happily using Evorel Conti x
Pages: [1] 2