Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: All Ms Ladies- feeling unwell between meals  (Read 2031 times)

Smokey1234

All Ms Ladies- feeling unwell between meals
« on: August 06, 2018, 07:24:57 PM »

Hi everyone I wondered if anyone has the same/simular feelings.
If I go too long between meals well I have breakfast at about 8.30 then dinner at 12pm but if I forget to have snack in between I feel awful and it takes a while after eating to feel normal again.

My worst symptom at the moment is fatigue the exhausting type, and find if I do to much and carry on doing stuff I feel like I'm shutting down its really scarey.  Does anyone else with ms feel like this.?

This heat at the moment doesn't help either be glad when it cools down a bit, and than says something as I'm normally a sun worshipper.

I don't know anyone else with ms so any opinion will be greatly received.

Thanks

Ann xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: All Ms Ladies- feeling unwell between meals
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 10:34:42 PM »

Yep.  If I don't eat B4 my body is hungry then I suffer. Badly.  Nausea, anxiety, shakes, panic attacks.  I have safe foods some of which may help you?

bananas
dried fruits and nuts
Dextrose tablets - recommended by the Ramblers Society
dried crackers
small sandwiches - with an easy to eat filling
pea nuts
Energy bars - bought from cycling shops that sell to pro and other sports men/women that do regular 70+ mile trips
Energy drinks - as above
Rest too.  Keep hydrated. 

Don't forget - if you go across the landing and back in the night, have a small bite of a biscuit ;-).

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 10:41:56 PM »

Nope.  But I do feel unwell between meals if I don't keep my body topped up.  Himself often mutters "If you took your own advice"  ;D or "Eat Woman Eat" ...........

wombat62

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 08:34:38 AM »

Hi there

I don't have MS but since having my gallbladder out if I go too long without eating I get sapped of energy. Sometimes I don't even feel hungry with it, just start to feel drained then as soon as eat I bounce back.

Guess if you know you can be like this is to just make sure you have a regular snack, I always carry an emergency muesli bar around with me to be on the safe side.

Sometimes it can be dehydration as well, so keep fluids topped up!

Smokey1234

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 02:32:46 PM »

Thanks everyone for your replys

So I guess I need to eat in between snacks🍰🍰 no matter the cause Ms. Menopause or Gallbladder removal as had the lot!!,

Wombat that's interesting that Gallblader causes you that. Can you eat a normal diet now?
I was on low fat diet to start with and was also taking Ranitidine twice daily and one 30mg Lanspranol but stopped the Ranitidine lst month and was surprised to find I'm ok eating most things now.  I had my Gallblader out last December my Surgeon said I could return to normal diet after a few weeks but it took a lot longer, my Doctor said once You have Gallblader out you had to stay on low fat diet for good,  conflicting advise.

Ann xx

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 10:53:06 PM »

I think like most issues, it can be Trial and Error  ::)

Try eating little and often but cutting out fats too.  Get yourself feeling 'better' and less nauseous then add 1 thing that might be fatty?

Keep a diary perhaps 'cos it's easy to forget ........ meno-brain and all that  :D

wombat62

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 08:11:05 AM »

Hi Ann

I have friends who ate normally after Gb removal on the hand others have taken a couple of years to settle down.

I've continued my lower fat diet (not as strict as pre-op) partly because I lost a heap of weight through the low fat diet and felt and looked so much better. Also I think because I was on the diet for a few months during tests and waiting for the op I just got used to it so carried it on. It was two years ago and I would say that now if I eat something oily or greasy (not by choice!) then I'm not as affected as I was even last year. Creamy things still make me feel a bit sick so I avoid those.

However, my brain still squeals when it looks at a high fat meal, even something healthy like avocado, the amount they serve up! A few times I've forgotten to ask for butter to be removed in a sandwich and I just look at it and can't eat it (have to scrap it off), it's really bizarre how it's changed my brain! Although I have relaxed a bit especially on the sweet side and I have put a few pounds back on so that needs sorting out!!!

I wasn't on any supplements after the op, in fact no one gave any advice but my doc says if it suits me and keeping my weight in check then carry on! I don't think people realize how much fat is in food until you get Gb problems...such as 2 nuts are 4 grams and I was only allowed 5 grams per meal!

So, yes, unless you are unlucky you should be able to eat normally but you just have to see how much your body can cope with but I think keeping an eye on fats is best. If you eat a double cheese burger with fries your body doesn't have the extra potent bile to break the fats down so in theory you'll end up with a bad tummy. If I eat too much fat I get very bloated, a one off meal is okay but if it's a few things over a few days then it's almost like an allergy and I blow up!

It's a case of trial and error and just see what suits you!

Take care....

Tempest

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 07:53:47 PM »

Hi, Ann!

I'm an RR MS lady - and was diagnosed last year with non diabetic reactive hypoglycemia, which sounds very similar to what you're experiencing.

I have to eat every 3 - 4 hours, and combine compkex carbs with protein. I've also eliminated all sugar and simple carbs. Mine was formally diagnosed by my Endocrinologist, so I suggest it might be an idea to chat to your GP before you do any drastic dietary switches to check this theory!

The heat IS THE PITS. This summer has been brutal for us, hasn't it? Spasms non stop and a couple of really nasty falls. Thank goodbess it's a wee bit cooler up north where I am at the moment. xxxx

Smokey1234

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 09:10:30 PM »

Thanks everyone for your replys.

That's very interesting Tempest, I'm going to discuss with my ms nurse tomorrow as I'm due to phone for another blood form to be sent. And then have to consult my Doctor if no joy with her.

Wombat thanks for the detailed reply I'm trying different foods with fat in but only one at a time. I had fish and chips last Friday and was ok but didn't eat all the batter on the fish only about half. I'm ok with blubbery muffins too.
So I can have some treats😀

Tempest

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 10:07:46 PM »

Please excuse me - but I can't help it! Is a "blubbery muffin' another menopause symptom? Because if so, I definitely have one!!! (You've gotta love predictive text)!!!😂😂😂 xxxx

Smokey1234

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 08:56:46 AM »

That will teach me to re read what I've written but must admit that's funny a blubbery muffin🤭. We really need as many laughs as possible at this stage of life especially with other ailments too.