Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Letting People Down  (Read 1261 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Letting People Down
« on: August 03, 2018, 03:01:22 PM »

Is this something we absorb from others or is it something we are told about over and over: If you say 'yes' to something you must do it, otherwise you are letting people down ........ a constant from my mother.

I ask because a young snow boarder ended her Life on her 18th birthday.  It was stated by her father that she had suffering mental health issues in the past [so why was she still competing  :-\] and that because she had missed a flight she would have felt that she was letting others down.

Should we be so beholden that it is serious enough for people to end their Lives ...... being told that I would be letting people down caused such high levels of anxiety that I dreaded saying 'yes' to stuff because I knew that the anticipatory anxiety could floor me.  I don't know how many events that I had panic attacks prior to or after and have lost count of the places I went when all I needed to do was curl up ..........  :'(

Woodlands

Re: Letting People Down
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 03:26:12 PM »

Hello CKLD.
I read the story of the young snowboarder too, pressures high in competition stakes. I see young people at work always striving to be their best, some from parental pressure, some their own.
Suicide is the highest killer amongst young people both male and female....... Its one of the highest killers in this age bracket.
I believe you can hold your own thoughts and views if you have a change of heart Re something you promised to do then so be it xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Letting People Down
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 03:29:35 PM »

R we told thus or is it absorbed?  It's prior to peer pressure  :-\.   It got easier to say 'no' the older I became but as we grow up we want to please others and not been seen to be different.