Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: 55 and still menstruating  (Read 1731 times)

Kiara2811

• First Flush
55 and still menstruating
« on: August 01, 2018, 12:38:04 PM »

Hi, I'm new to this site and am wondering if there is anyone having a similar time as me. Just for reassurance I guess.   I've had hot flushes on and off for 7 years whilst still menstruating regularl, then about 8 months ago, the flushes were happening every 20 mins, day and night! Exhausting! Then for a time my menstruation became a little irregular too but nothing dramatic. I also suffered with hives every day, two or three times a day! With all of this i thought yay I'll be through the menopause soon. No such luck, I'm now 55 and have returned to menstruating regularly, heavily to begin then continuing for 10 days. As soon as the bleeding eases the hot flushes and hives begin until I menstruate again!! How long can this go on for? It's wearing me out! I thought the hot flushes began after you'd finished with periods and what on earth are the hives about?!! 😳

Dancinggirl

Re: 55 and still menstruating
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 02:00:24 PM »

Hi and welcome me to MM
Your story is not unusual. We are not educated about what to Expect when meno hits.
Read up all the factual Info on this site to get clued up. There's a good article about ‘the peril of peri menopause' that gives great information. It might be worth considering hrt to help control things even in this peri menopause phase that you are going through.
If bleeding is getting a nuisance then having a Mirena fitted will often control this and you can simply add some oestrogen, as gel or patches, to reduce the flushes. DG x

PinkPepsi

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 07:22:59 PM »

Hi. I'm nearly fifty eight and had my last period at fifty six. I haven't really suffered with hot flushes just the odd one now and again but oh my goodness I have suffered with urticaria with angiodema for about 8 years which I believe is hives under the skin.
It used to be horrendous and last for days on my hands, feet lips and eyes. No cause was ever found for it and doctors put it down to stress.
I'm now convinced it was hormone related because since my periods stopped  it has happened less and less and now I only have occasionally.
I'm afraid I can't give any advice  because the only thing that eased it for me was paracetamol and ice packs. Antihistamines did nothing and I haven't had hrt.
Hopefully yours will settle as your periods stop too i really sympathise as the itching used to drive me crazy and seemed to take over my life.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 09:01:31 PM »

:welcomemm: both.  Browse round.  Make notes.

Kiara2811

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 06:54:22 PM »

Thank you for your replies. I feel better knowing, hopefully, it will all pass. Sooner than later would be great! I can't take HRT so I think letting nature take its course, if I can cope, is the best way to go. 😊

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 03:31:33 PM »

You may like to tell us why you 'cant' take HRT.  Quality of Life is important!  Also, do be aware of vaginal atrophy, read our threads here?  It is delivered differently and can be essential if atrophy strikes!

Tinkerbell

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 05:17:54 PM »

The flushes must be debilitating, what is the reason you can't take HRT?