Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Newbie saying hello  (Read 1653 times)

Lindyloo29

Newbie saying hello
« on: July 22, 2018, 07:34:09 PM »

Hi my user name is Lindyloo29 and this is my first time posting. So great to find all you wonderful ladies with lots of great advice and shared experience.
Please forgive me if I should be posting elsewhere but I hope someone can give me advice.
Iam 59 years old and for the last few years have suffered with the horrible hot flushes/sweats unable to get to sleep, exhausted at times no libido and probably "sensitive?" At times regarding mood!
I have been scared to go on HRT because Iam Bi-polar and Iam on antidepressants Setraline and a mood stablizer Lamotrigine also thyroxine. It took ages to get my medication right but apart from some tearful days on the whole I have been well for the last 10 years.
But the hot flushes are horrible and with all the recent claims by tv personalities I thought I would chat to a doctor. I was prescribed Evorel Conti 24 Estradiol/Noreth 50 + 170 patches apply one patch twice weekly.
However that was three months ago and I still haven't taken them! So do you think I should give them a go? Thank you in advance. Xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie saying hello
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 10:14:07 PM »

welcome.  I can well understand why you don't want to rock your boat!  Do you have an appt. with your Consultant regarding your bi-polar soon, or maybe make one to discuss the ins and outs of adding a hormone combination to your regime?

Then let us know  :foryou:

Also, there is a search button on here so maybe put your prescription name/s into it to see what pops up?

Toodle Pips

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 03:55:52 AM »

Hi, and welcome.

Have you tried sage tablets for hot flushes etc? My doctor recommended them for my night sweats. I haven't tried them yet though so can't say if they work or not.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 09:07:10 AM »

We have an alternative room.  Some ladies find them useful until their hormones begin to riot, then any benefit may be lost.  Also, sage isn't on the NHS one has to buy it.

Lindyloo29

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 08:47:10 PM »

Thank youToodle Pips and CLKD for answering. I have been discharged from the consultant quite a few years ago and when I asked the doctor if there would be interaction with HRT and my current medication (I had to ask!) he looked it up and said there shouldn't be....
I am just wondering also if anyone has started HRT at I guess late at the grand old age of 59yrs.
The doctor said we'll try it either it will be no good for you or may give a new lease of life. So I guess it's just a gamble ooooh if only us ladies could just be offered one type of HRT that fits all with NO side effects oh and safe!
I have tried sage but with no real difference, I have heard soya helps. I even tried the magnet lady care in my knickers but just landed up sticking to shopping trollies. I'm sure the hot flushes are getting worse again.
Also wondered if anyone found some of the symptoms disappeared if cutting out most of sugar in their diet....that will be a struggle for me.

Lanzalover

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 06:38:38 AM »

Good morning Lindyloo29

:welcomemm:
HRT will sort out the flushes but I don't know enough about the other melds you are taking to comment on any interaction you may experience hopefully someone on here will be along to give you some advice.

I do take thyroxine and haven't had any problems with HRT although I did have levels tested more frequently at the start because you can sometimes need the thyroxine dose adjusting according to my GP so if you do start the HRT make sure you have your thyroid levels checked after a couple of months.

I didn't start to take HRT until I was in my late 50's and we'll post meno I just kept thinking it would all get better but unfortunately it didn't now I wish I had started earlier, So I wouldn't worry about starting at your age.

I don't each much sugar so cann't comment on that one.

Sorry I seem to have rambled on a bit I suppose what I'm trying to say is give the HRT a try and hopefully you will feel better soon.

Lanzalover x

JaneL

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 08:30:46 AM »

Sounds like your doc's advice is realistic and consistent with the suggested hrt flowchart on this site. Starting on low doses and checking for any side-effects. Unfortunately, there are not enough population-level studies done to pick out the many different combinations of drug interactions.

I'm sorry - your description of magnets and shopping trolleys had me laughing. I'd never heard of that before. Be sure you don't go anywhere near an MRI machine!

Lindyloo29

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 05:57:28 PM »

Thank you Lanzalover for your reply it's really nice to get support on here. It's also good to know about more frequent checks for thyroid levels and reassuring that you didn't start HRT until our grand old age!
I have an appointment with a lady doctor tomorrow and although I know it will be my decision in the end hopefully she can give me more info regarding any potential interaction with the meds I'm on. And don't worry you don't ramble at all!

Lindyloo29

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 06:12:19 PM »

Hi Janet, thank you for your reply. I have an appointment with a doctor tomorrow so hopefully she will reassure me and I will give HRT a go.

You never know in a few months I may turn into a nice, dry, happy nymphomaniac who then sleeps like a baby!!!

JaneL

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 09:35:44 AM »

Congrats for taking prompt action Lindyloo - whatever the outcome, that's better than suffering in silence because you have more information and options.

I look forward to hearing about your new career! :)

grumpyjane

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 10:38:29 PM »

Hi Lindyloo. I didn't start until HRT I was 58 and now wish I had done it earlier, But hey ho, it is what it is.
If the doctor doesn't do enough to reassure you I would recommend checking any medication interactions with a pharmacist. I've found them very helpful in the past. Jx