Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Osteoporosis  (Read 10333 times)

Wrensong

Re: Osteoporosis
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2019, 10:22:56 AM »

CLKD - advice seems to be 6 prunes a day for bone health!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2019, 10:36:08 AM »

;D - all at once  :o ...........

Wrensong

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2019, 06:10:53 PM »

What do you mean all at once, CLKD?!   ;D  Six is nothing, girl!  My system slumbers on oblivious to them.  When I was a kid, Mum used to serve tinned prunes, heated, with creamed rice, creamed macaroni (remember that?) or custard.  Sickly sweet, but I loved it then. Remember taking out the stones & putting them on the flat rim of the dish & going through the alphabet stone by stone, to get to the initial of the man I'd marry!   Seem to recall it was usually around M  :o.  So that's a helluva lot more prunes than 6!!  I had no idea then of their reputation & don't recall they gave me any cause for suspicion!  They were wrong about my husband's initial too.  Never trust a prune. ;)

CLKD

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2019, 08:57:41 AM »

:rofl: :lol:

Oh I remember: he loves me, he loves me not ......... you had dishes with rims too  :D

Creamed rice with jam in the middle?  [we have a thread about all that somewhere  :whist: ]

Wrensong

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2019, 09:44:30 AM »

Yes, we had the dishes with rims.  Creamed rice with everything . . . except jam!  Tinned rhubarb & tinned - golden - plums were other pairings for it, as a kid!  The only jam in our household was blackcurrant, as we had bushes Mum made it from.  Tea at friends' houses, where shop bought jam in other flavours was on offer, seemed the height of exotica!  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2019, 10:40:26 AM »

We also exercised  :-* and I know that I don't do enough these days  :-\

Rhubarb  :sick02:

Wrensong

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2019, 05:48:44 PM »

I do exercise CLKD - was lucky to see a physio for a few months after surgery last year & she devised a routine to increase upper body strength that would not only work muscles but strengthen bone.

What's wrong with rhubarb?!  Love it!  That said, while we're on the topic of osteoporosis, its high oxalate content means though it contains calcium it's said not to be a good source for bone health.  Not that it's up there at the top of the list of foods you'd expect to be!

Krystal

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2019, 06:08:53 PM »

I have found a very good book on the subject of Osteoporosis - 'Beating Osteoporosis' by Diana Moran (in association with the Royal Osteoporosis Society). It is not heavy going and is written by someone who actually has this condition. As it is endorsed by the Royal Osteoporosis Society I trust what information is contained in the book. Hope this helps. Best Wishes to all.

Wrensong

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2019, 07:05:39 PM »

Thanks for the recommendation Krystal.  I have one by Dr Marianne Glenville, but it's nearly 15 years old now so perhaps not that up to date.

CLKD

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2019, 07:28:16 PM »

I thought that Diana Moran was an exercise 'expert'  :-\ ........ on Breakfast TV for years?  She's 80 now so what went wrong that she now has osteoporosis?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]