Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Osteoporosis  (Read 10330 times)

sofasurfer

Osteoporosis
« on: July 18, 2018, 08:04:33 PM »

Damn, I am gutted.
Went for a dexa scan and it appears that I have osteoporosis.  :'(
Although I've been having regular period till last year, I must have been peri for some years which my gp didn't put two and two together. He doesn't recognoise dizzyness as one of the meno symptoms so I'm not suprised though.  ::)

Does anybody take medication for Osteoporosis? How long will it take for the density to go up? Or will it ever??

In the meanwhile, I've got a contraceptive pill prescribed. My GP said mini pill would be safer but I asked for combined pills as I had both estrogen and progesteron and something tells me that I should have both, not just one.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Osteoporosis
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 09:33:25 AM »

You should have been given advice when the scan results came through.  Maybe have a look at your over-all diet.  Write down for 3 days everything you put into your mouth .........

There is an Osteoporosis Society, UK based but I think one has to pay for information  :-\

Weight bearing exercise is good: 10 mins. brisk walking twice a day is a starting point.  Do you dance?  That can help ......... trampoline ;-).

Where on the body was the scan taken? 

sofasurfer

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 05:19:37 PM »

You should have been given advice when the scan results came through.  Maybe have a look at your over-all diet.  Write down for 3 days everything you put into your mouth .........

There is an Osteoporosis Society, UK based but I think one has to pay for information  :-\

Weight bearing exercise is good: 10 mins. brisk walking twice a day is a starting point.  Do you dance?  That can help ......... trampoline ;-).

Where on the body was the scan taken?
Scan was done on lumber and hip region.
No advice was given since the doctor interpretated the result as normal. My t-score was in the range of severe osteoporosis. :(
How am I to argue with the doctor who said it's normal?

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 05:31:29 PM »

I'm confused too. What is your T score? It's ridiculous that you haven't been given any advice and help if you have got osteoporosis.

Taz x

marge

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 08:42:11 AM »

I take 70mg Alendronic Acid once a week for osteoporosis.  I had a scan in January after breaking my foot.  Both my (late) Mum and sister were/are sufferers so I presume it's hereditary.  I will be scanned again in Jan 2020.  Meanwhile, walking a lot and eating healthily. 

Emma

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 11:43:05 AM »

The Royal Osteoporosis Society has launched a new set of online videos and guides ranging from how exercise helps with osteoporosis and bone health, answering common questions, through to specific exercises to promote bone and muscle strength, balance, back pain after a spinal fracture, help with posture, moving and lifting safely, bending forward and Pilates.

The videos and guides are available at
https://theros.org.uk/information-and-support/living-with-osteoporosis/exercise-and-physical-activity-with-osteoporosis

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 01:11:34 PM »

Damn, I am gutted.
Went for a dexa scan and it appears that I have osteoporosis.  :'(
Although I've been having regular period till last year, I must have been peri for some years which my gp didn't put two and two together. He doesn't recognoise dizzyness as one of the meno symptoms so I'm not suprised though.  ::)

Does anybody take medication for Osteoporosis? How long will it take for the density to go up? Or will it ever??

In the meanwhile, I've got a contraceptive pill prescribed. My GP said mini pill would be safer but I asked for combined pills as I had both estrogen and progesteron and something tells me that I should have both, not just one.
Prevention of osteoporosis is one of my reasons for trying HRT patches. My recent DEXA scan only showed very mild osteopenia but I want to avoid it getting worse. I only got the HRT yesterday so can't comment on whether it will help. I am post meno so am trying Evorel Conti.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 03:53:20 PM »

Yet a Report from the US this week says that taking certain 'supplements' to counteract osteoporosis leaves people open for earlier cancers  >:(.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't ......... that Link looks like it might be hard work so I won't read it; yet  :whist:

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 08:19:41 AM »

Is there a difference between osteopena and osteoporosis?

Shadyglade

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 11:26:10 AM »

I think osteopena is pre-osteoporosis. i.e. showing signs but not fully blown.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 11:52:14 AM »

Maybe that's what sofasurfer heard  :-\

Shadyglade

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 11:58:27 AM »

Maybe that's what sofasurfer heard  :-\

No, lost me totally there.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 12:00:43 PM »

osteopenia rather than full osteoporosis?  but she's disappeared  :-\

Kathleen

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 12:02:48 PM »

Hello ladies.

I understand the jury is out on increasing dairy to build strong bones. It seems that countries with the highest consumption also had the most hip fractures. Scientists now think that dairy products make the body too acidic so to counter this calcium is taken from the bones and this actually reduces bone density. Anyone thinking of changing their diet might want to do a bit of research.

Take care all.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 12:13:19 PM »

:thankyou:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4