Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: HRT for osteopenia after early menopause  (Read 14239 times)

Cori

Re: HRT for osteopenia after early menopause
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2018, 07:31:12 PM »

Thanks. How many days is that after the first tablet? Do you take the progesterone tablets for 3 weeks and the other ones for a week?

Cori

« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2018, 07:10:29 PM »

I went to the doctor's today, told her what happened with the patch and said I would like to try Femoston 1/10. She said yes that's fine, we prescribe that one. Then she said she couldn't understand why I wanted a sequential pill and that she thinks a conti pill would be best for me. I said because I want a more predictable bleed and less side effects. She said I will only get random bleeds in the first 3 months and there are no more side effects on a conti HRT. She was quite insistent and part of me doesn't really want to start having periods again, so I agreed to trying Femoston-Conti 1/5. I really hope I'm doing the right thing. I said what if I bleed? She said we can give you some more tablets to counteract that??

Dancinggirl

« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2018, 09:10:20 PM »

Your GP is wrong!!!  Using progesterone all the time will often bring more side effects and taking extra progesterone  together with the conti HRT really will give more progesterone side effects.   Do try the Femoston conti and see how it goes.  DG x

Cori

« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2018, 06:42:50 PM »

Thanks DG. I'm going to give it a go. Do you think I should try and stick it out for 3 months, providing my side effects aren't extreme?

NorthArm

« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2018, 08:32:02 PM »

Hi Cori

Yes. Stick it out for the full three months. You might get a bit headachey, have sore boobs and some erratic bleeding, but persevere. There is no magic, overnight bullet with these things and you need to give it some time until it all settles. Trying not to overthink it all will help too - keep a mood diary, then you can compare as you go along. Good luck with it all xx

Cori

« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2018, 05:04:55 PM »

Thank you NorthArm.

Hurdity

« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2018, 07:17:44 PM »

The main thing is with a conti HRT you may well get random bleeding for the first 6 months which is quite normal!

Also Femoston 1/5 is a low dose oestrogen and as you are young you may well benefit from a higher dose, but Femoston does not come any higher in a conti preparation - but see how you get on anyway....

I hope it works for you!

Hurdity x

PS haven't read all the thread so apols if I've repeated something that's already been said!

Cori

« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2018, 05:00:06 PM »

Thanks Hurdity. I just hope it's strong enough to make a difference to my bone density as that's the reason why I'm taking it.

clairep

« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2018, 02:24:39 PM »

Oestrogen Patches or Oestrogel are usually better than pills - these can be used with the Mirena OR you can take progesterone as Utrogestan or Provera, sequentially or continuously. 
You can get combined HRT patches which have both oestrogen and progesterone.

Here are the links on this site that give all your treatment options.
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatment.php
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php
DG x
Hi, I've just joined this site, so apologies if I don't get it straight away. Dancing girl u sound like a medical professional and I think your posts are super and very informative... I had awful problems getting pregnant, hormones all over the place, started ivf, had beautiful twin girls and was put in hrt immediately at 40. There's just so much cancer in my parents families that I'm afraid femoston might contribute even more. I'd also love some ideas on natural, trusted forms to ease this as I've started getting slight hot flushes again but I've also missed a few pills. Thanks

Dancinggirl

« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2018, 05:08:25 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM clairep
I am not a medical professional (though I have quite a few medical professionals in our family)but I had a premature menopause, so have had around 25 years of dealing with all the menopause problems.
Delighted to hear you had your daughters but I'm sure coping with them and the menopause is challenging at times. 
You haven't told us how old you are now? Which Femoston are you on? When you say there is a lot of cancer in your family, what cancers are these?
If your mother or sister have had oestrogen receptive breast cancer then there could be some concern but with proper monitoring the risks of cancer generally are very small.
The important thing to remember is that the normal age for menopause is between 52-54, so using HRT till at least 54 is simply replacing what your body would produce naturally. I believe trials have shown that 5 years of HRT in our mid 50s (so beyond menopause) will lengthen our lives and protect the bones and heart for the long term.
Femoston has bio identical oestrogen(as do most HRTs now) so is a good hormonal supplement.  There are no alternatives to HRT that will protect your bones, heart, skin, muscles, bladder etc. in the way HRT will, so please be reassured that you are definitely doing the right thing by using the Femoston. You need to take your pills properly and regularly but if the flushes are emerging again you may be needing a higher dose - maybe try the Femoston 2/10?.  Often a higher dose is needed because your own hormones have bottomed out and the body is craving more oestrogen.  If you find the progesterone in Femoston suits you Ok, then I wouldn't change HRT type. However if you would like to stop having bleeds and want to increase your oestrogen level more, then having a Mirena fitted can be a good alternative and use oestrogen in patch or gel form alongside.
There are many that use Utrogestan (bio identical progesterone) as the progesterone part of HRT alongside oestrogen only patches, however it can have a sedating effect and doesn't suit everyone.
I can understand your concerns regarding cancer but the scares in the press have been greatly overplayed and the very small breast cancer risk only applies if still on HRT beyond 60.
Quality of life is terribly important and being on good form for you family is also vital. There are so many HRT options but there are no true ‘alternatives' that will control flushes and protect you bones the way HRT does.
Keep posting.  DG x

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]