Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: HRT for osteopenia after early menopause  (Read 14687 times)

Cori

Re: HRT for osteopenia after early menopause
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2018, 08:51:42 PM »

Thanks DG. My patch came unstuck at the corner today so I took it off and applied another half a patch in a different place. But that is coming unstuck too. It's always at the corner where I've cut it in half so I'm hoping the full patches will stick better.

Also, I've been bleeding for two full days now. Started off brown, now red. How many days in a row is it normal to bleed for?

You may be right about trying a pill. I really wanted the patches to work as they say there are less side effects eg less chance of stroke etc. But if the patches aren't going to stay on I may have to try a pill.  I wanted to avoid having periods if I can but if there are less side effects with a sequential pill then maybe that's the way to go.

Could I be bleeding for so long because I'm using half a patch? Should I start using a full patch? The doctor would probably prescribe a pill for the same dose as a full patch anyway. Maybe I should see how long a full patch stays put before trying a pill. But if carry on bleeding like this I'm not sure what to do.

I'm thinking maybe a sequential pill may be best but not sure which pill to try. My mum took Prempak C before Kliovance. Maybe I will suggest that. How does that conpare to the one you suggested, DG?

A sequential one is the one where you have a bleed, right?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 09:39:10 PM by Cori »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2018, 07:02:18 AM »

I'm afraid bleeding in conti HRT can go on for some time when starting conti hrt even if you are deep into post menopause. If you are still peri meno then the bleeding may not stop!!  I think I am right in thinking that before the age of normal meno ( so between 51-54) you have to have gone 2 years without a natural period before you are considered truly post menopause.
Femoston 1/10 would be a lower dose than the patches.
The risk of stroke is extremely small unless you have previously had a stroke, have a strong family history of stroke or you are overweight, drink alcohol heavily or smoke. 
Prempacvis the old fashioned hrt that had equine oestrogen in itv and these have been phased out because the newer bioidentical hrts are considered safer.
Th half patch may not have sufficient progesterone to control bleeding and if they are not sticking this will effect absorption. Many find the full size ones don't stick so well either.
If you try Femoston 1/10 then this lower dose hrt ( this is lower than the patches you are using) might well be a better start and popping a pill is less hassle.
Maybe try going to the full patch for a week to see what happens so you can tell the GP you have given this a good go? BUT you may find you bleed more. I can't remember whether you have gone 2 years without a period?  DG x

Cori

« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2018, 07:46:47 AM »

Thank you. I just want to take it off now until I go back to the doctors. I'm due back in 5 weeks and don't even know if I can get to see my doctor before then. Can I stop using them until I go back?

I have only gone 17 months without a period and I'm 43 but the doctor said I was post menopausal. I didn't mention the two year thing to her. Am I best waiting until I've gone two years before starting HRT?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 11:19:43 AM by Cori »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2018, 08:43:49 AM »

Cori - it's fine to simply stop the patches. You do not need to wait to start HRT till you are truly post menopause - in fact as soon they realised you were peri menopause the doctors should have discussed HRT straight away - I started HRT when I was peri meno in my mid 30s, I was post menopause when I was about 42.  However, starting with conti HRT is not always the best idea because the progesterone can bring more side effects which women find challenging, so by using a sequi HRT, where there is only half the month with progesterone, this will often be easier to tolerate. A sequi HRt will mean a monthly bleed but this will more predictable, whereas, with a conti HRt you often have to put up with erratic bleeding for up to 6 months and if this doesn't settle then investigations are done and a different HRT regime would be tried.
You shouldn't have to mention the 2 year thing to your doctor - they should know this already!!!!!!!
Starting on a medium dose is also tougher for many women as it can be a shock for the body to suddenly get this big hit of hormones - it's often best to introduce things gradually.

If you really want a non bleed easy HRT regime, then having a Mirena fitted would be good and then simply have oestrogen as gel or patch alongside.  There are oestrogen only patches that are very small and come in various strengths so much easier to start low and then build till you feel good.

Do remember that HRT is about getting the benefits with minimal side effects and it can be trial and error finding the right regime for you - you have more risk factors if you don't use HRT, so you really need to let go of the anxiety over using HRT.

Phone your doctor and ask for a telephone appointment - explain you have had bleeding (which you know is normal at first on any conti HRt), so you want to try a sequential HRT to see if it's better and also ask of Femoston 1/10 because it has the kinder progesterone. Give yourself one to two weeks without hormones to allow the bleeding to subside and then start the pills and see how it goes. If Femoston doesn't suit you then we can suggest something else to try.
Please, please remember that osteoporosis is a nasty problem and you really don't want this to happen too soon - it's a very distressing, painful and disabling condition and at this stage HRT is your best treatment option. DG x

Cori

« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2018, 11:45:15 AM »

Thank you DG... don't know where I be without your help and support.

From what you say about there only being half the month with progesterone and a predictable bleed, I definitely want to try a sequential pill. I will ask about Femoston. Although I am in the Uk and not sure if we have that one?

Would it harm me to wait until the third week in October to start taking it? I was thinking I would prefer to wait until I am off work again so that will give me a week to deal with any initial side effects. Although I understand I may not get any during the first week. If I am going to wait until then, I might just make a proper appointment with my doctor for around the time I should have and she can check my blood pressure etc at the same time.

Another doctor I saw did give me the option of HRT when I was perimenopausal, but I didn't want it. This was before we knew I had osteopenia though, so they didn't mention osteoperosis.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 11:50:19 AM by Cori »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2018, 12:33:09 PM »

Cori - here is the link to all the peri menopause HRT types available in the UK and you will see there is Femoston 1/10 and it has a star by it that indicates it is a good one for bone health.
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

You can start this any time you want but the sooner you get going on HRT the sooner your bones will benefit - I expect you will be fine with Femoston (it suits many women very well) and by delaying things, your anxiety will simply get worse - if you are working, then you are getting on with life and not focussing on the HRT.  It is very, very rare to get side effects that prevent you from working - you are far more likely to start feeling really good after 3-4 weeks. 
So why not phone the GP now, get the right prescription, get the HRT pills and start in a couple of weeks - take a pill in the morning with breakfast and forget about it.  I bet in 3 months you'll feel much better and relieved you are doing something positive for your health and wellbeing.

What a shame that doctor who offered you HRT when you were peri meno wasn't a bit more insistent - maybe you wouldn't have osteopenia now??!!

You shouldn't need to have your blood pressure checked for some time unless you have blood pressure issues.
Go for it girl.  DG x

Cori

« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2018, 05:37:39 PM »

Thanks DG. I might phone the surgery tomorrow and see if I can get a telephone appointment.

Do you only take a pill for 2 weeks out of 4, not 3 weeks like the contraceptive pill?

Does it matter what time of day you take it? If it has to be taken at the same time everyday, evening might be best for me as I get up later at weekends and when I'm not working.

Not sure if this is related to the patch but I woke up today with really sore legs (thighs) and they've been sore all day. Should I be concerned?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2018, 06:03:54 PM »

Sequi hrt is nit the same as a BcP.
Hrt pills are taken everyday and will be 14-16 days of just oestrogen and then the remainding pills of a full cycle will be a pill with both progesterone and oestrogen.
This is a 28 day cycle and once you finish the progesterone + oestrogen pills, having started the next pack with oestrogen only, the bleed usually arrives within 2-3 days. It can take a few months for the cycle to settle but Femoston 1:10 is a good dosage.
You can take the pills at any time of day but I would take them with a meal and at the same time of the day, each day, to give consistency.  It's also easy to get into a good routine with Hrt pills - perhaps set a reminder on your phone.
The sore legs may be due to your  uterus (womb) reacting to the hormones and this should settle as everything wakes up and improves.
So many parts of our bodies become dormant and atrophied with oestrogen deficiency. DG x

Cori

« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2018, 09:04:31 PM »

Thanks DG.

I am still bleeding now quite heavily after removing my patch and have had a headache since this afternoon.

Will the bleed always arrive after the progesterone and oestrogen pills have finished or could it arrive before?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2018, 09:43:27 PM »

It can sometimes arrive a bit early but the bleed usually arrives one to two days after finishing the progesterone phase while you are taking the oestrogen pills. The leaflet with the pills should explain everything. The headache and heavy bleeding you are getting now needs to happen to shed the womb lining that has built up. It should settle within a week or so. DG x

Cori

« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2018, 12:01:50 PM »

Thanks DG.

Cori

« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2018, 05:24:33 PM »

The soonest I could get a telephone appointment with my doctor was Sep 18th and the soonest real appointment was the 25th, so I thought I may aswell wait the extra week for that.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2018, 06:57:54 PM »

Go well prepared for the appointment with stuff written down and print off the info from this site about the hrt you want to try. It's going to be trial and error but you do need to get some hrt up and running soon.
DG x

Cori

« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2018, 04:52:20 PM »

Yes I will, thanks DG.

Cori

« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2018, 06:20:47 PM »

The day has almost arrived for me to go to the doctors and ask for Femoston 1/10. I was wondering, if I start taking them on Wednesday 26th September, what date would my first period be? How many days after starting them do you get your period? I'm planning on taking them around 6pm. Does it have to be bang on 6pm everyday? Will it affect anything if it varies 2 or 3 hours?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6