Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Heavy bleeding on hrt 2+ years after last period  (Read 699 times)

dht240

Heavy bleeding on hrt 2+ years after last period
« on: October 14, 2018, 03:07:38 AM »

Hello 👋🏻
It's been a while since I posted on here, but I'm hoping your experience and wisdom will help me once again.

I'm on Evorel Conti and have been for a year. (I haven't had a period in over 2.5 years). It's been ok - at the beginning I had occasional spotting, but it settled and I felt human again. Until two weeks ago. Walking around Tesco with my OH, I suddenly started bleeding/flooding - to say I was mortified is an understatement. It was everywhere. I went straight to the doctor. I'd had no pain, no spotting, nothing other than painful boobs for a couple of days.

I've had a smear test, which was all clear, and I'm waiting for an ultrasound. I should carry on with the patches. The doctor thinks it's hormonal and will settle. My mum called it ‘the last gasp'.

Fast forward to today and I'm flooding again. And on holiday in Tenerife 🙁

Has anyone experienced similar? Do you have any advice?
I need to go back to the doctor again when I'm home in 11 days. I feel I should know more about this and am a little lost. I am hoping it will settle down again, but will it?

I feel ok - no other issues with pain, sweats, anxiety, depression etc. I'm fit, healthy, losing fat at the moment (working hard at losing those inches). I don't sleep well, haven't since I was about 40! (I'm 48 now.) I haven't  missed any patches, they stick really well. I had blood tests a week ago, but they were ok apparently.

Thank you all. It's 4am and I'm wide awake, unable to sleep - trying to be calm.

D.
Xxxx

Dancinggirl

Re: Heavy bleeding on hrt 2+ years after last period
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 07:44:54 AM »

It sounds as though your womb lining has built up much and is spontaneously shedding. Sometimes on conti hrt this happens because the progesterone in the patches isn't providing enough to keep the lining thin.
A scan is advisable so they can determine what's going on. You could have developed fibroids which is quite common. They might suggest having a Mirena fitted as this together with seperate oestrogen, as gel or patch, is a popular hrt combo which will protect the lining efficiently, delivers the hormones transdermally which is often considered the ideal as it can sometimes shrink fibroids and prevent erratic bleeding.
Though it's inconvenient, especially as you are on holiday, try not to worry. I had awful erratic bleeding on conti hrts - the Mirena was the only non bleed option that worked for me. DG x

dht240

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 07:54:30 AM »

Hi DG,

Thank you for your reply.
I'm glad there's a possible explanation - all manner of things kept running through my head this morning.

We tried Mirena before but I'm sensitive to the progesterone in it (levonorgestrel?) - so it made me nuts, and my body erratic! I had it removed. They didn't give me oestrogen with it - at the time the doctor told me at 44 it was too soon. (Despite family history of early menopause). I've changed doctor now!

Thanks again, I am so glad this form exists.

D.
Xx

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 08:00:16 AM »

Hi dht40

Strange to bleed so heavily after not bleeding for so long.

It does sound as though it could be the "last gasps". The further you are from the natural avergae age of menopause the mmore likely that there can be ovulation more than 12 months after the last period - this is why the advice is to continue contraception for two years if you are under 50 in recognition of this. The 12 month rule is to ensure that no cases of post-menopausal bleeding are missed that warrant investigation and could be cancer. If you had painful boobs for a couple of days that also makes it more likely that a hormonal surge is the cause - that you ovulated. Coupled with what Dancgingirl says - that your womb lining built up while taking the Evorel conti ( maybe because you are not yet post-meno) - this could lead to a heavy bleed.

Your doc should refer you for a scan definitely - because even though it could be hormonal, the fact that the bleeding occurred so long after you started the HRT - means it should be investigated.

Try not to worry and enjoy the rest of your holiday - with adequate protection!

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 10:05:28 AM »

Good advice from Dancinggirl and Hurdity. I also feel that due to your sore boobs then a hormonal cause is likely. Try to enjoy your holiday and hopefully the bleeding will stop soon.

Taz x

Nikkisyard

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 11:41:20 AM »

I have a similar issue... posted in Private Lives... as I am currently bleeding but not the usual fresh menstrual flow... it's been over a week now and I'm quite concerned tho not sure of I need to be?

dht240

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 05:46:46 PM »

Thanks everyone for your support. I'm still in holiday and (touching wood) haven't had any flooding for three days. Yippee! I'm hoping I'll have a scan appointment letter when I get home and then we can get some answers.

There's no risk of Me getting pregnant - I've never managed to conceive, I'm what I call gynaecologically challenged. (I do have two lovely stepsons 🙂).

Thanks again! I'll update the nice I know more.