Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: HRT for osteopenia after early menopause  (Read 14654 times)

Cori

HRT for osteopenia after early menopause
« on: July 14, 2018, 03:59:25 PM »

Has anyone taken HRT for osteopenia or to prevent heart disease after going through an early menopause?
I started in peri menopause at 38/39 (could have been slightly earlier, but that's when my symptoms started... although I was very moody since 36) and had my first FSH test at 39, which indicated my FSH levels were high. I had my last period in March 2017 at almost 42, so I am now post menopausal.
I had a Dexa scan in May and I am osteopenic. My doctor said I could either take HRT for 5 years, which I was reluctant to do, as I'm worried about side effects such as blood clots, risk of breast cancer, headaches and bleeding.
The other option is to ensure I'm getting enough calcium and vitamin D through my diet. I'm having a blood test in a week and if I'm not getting enough calcium and vitamin D, my doctor will prescribe a supplement or I can take HRT. I'm also reluctant to take calcium as calcium supplement give me an upset stomach.
My doctor said HRT is reccomended for women who go through an early menopause and it's only putting into your body what it's missing.
I've had hot flushes since 39, which were quite bad during the first year, I've gained over a stone and I have belly fat for the first time in my life, which I hate, loss of muscle tone, dry skin, thinner hair, dizziness, sore joints, especially my hips (had sore hips for 5 years, but only just realised this was connected to the menopause), moodiness, lack of motivation.
So after researching, I am beginning to wonder whether the benefits of HRT would outweigh the risks. If I could have no hip pain for 5 years, that would be great. But would it be worse when I stopped taking it after 5 years along with all my other symptoms? Also, I was worried that HRT might make me gain even more weight, but then I read online that it could get rid of the belly fat.
I just don't know what to do. I just wanted everyone's opinions. Thanks!

Emerald2017

Re: HRT for osteopenia after early menopause
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 04:14:50 PM »

I diagnosed with early menopause at 42 and my gyn gave me almost immediately hrt. It is vital for our overall health. Actually I don't think that your doc is right about the 5 years limit. I intend to stay on it at least until 50.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 06:24:43 PM »

My menopause started in my mid 30s and I strongly recommend you have HRT until at least 50 or you will really suffer in the long term, especially if you already have osteopenia. No amount of exercise, Vitamin D and calcium etc. will give the same help as HRT. The risks of HRT only start if you are still using it after the age of 60 and for your the benefits will be very good.

I am 62 now and really pleased I had the HRT for nearly 25 years. You still need to have a good diet rich in all the right nutrients, keep weight under control, exercise regularly and practise some relaxation techniques regularly - HRt can't fix everything. I would say you need at least 10 years of HRT and maybe more if your bone density is already suffering.  Osteoporosis is truly dreadful and you need to do everything you can to prevent this. HRT will protect your heart, prevent early onset of urogenital atrophy and there is a small protective factor against bowel cancer as well!!!!
So lots of benefits with HRT and very few risks.  It can be trial and error till you find a HRT that suits you but I would try Femoston 1/10 sequential first.  This does give a monthly bleed but its best to start with sequential first to see if the progesterone suits you or not.
You might choose to have a Mirena fitted as you can then use as much oestrogen as you need, as gel or patch, and most women don't get a bleed with this combination  -  also fewer progesterone side effects.

The answer to your question - definitely use HRT for at least 10 years - you'll probably find you get a much better quality of life as well.  DG x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 06:33:40 PM »

I would seriously consider HRT, my mother in law had awful debilitating/crippling  osteoporosis, it was suggested she took HRT but she refused and went down the calcium route.

Cori

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 06:56:54 PM »

Thanks everyone... I'm really tempted to try it after reading your replies.

My mum is wary of me taking it, as she is convinced HRT caused her breast calcifications. She was taking it for 20 years though until she was about 25. She took Prempak-C to start with, which gives you a bleed. But she was bleeding a bit heavy. Then she took Kliovance, which is a continous combined HRT with no bleed.

She has been off HRT for 10 years. She's 75 and still has hot flushes!

I'm not sure whether to try one that gives you a bleed or not. I've got used to having no periods now but does HRT with no bleed have more side effects? And would I bleed inbetween aswell when I'm not supposed to (with either)?

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 07:08:13 PM »

It is suggested that HRT is taken until the age of natural menopause , think that is 51, if you have a premature menopause as the benefits outweigh the risks until that age.

Cori

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 08:05:54 PM »

Some say the natural age of menopause is 49, some say 51. When they say the normal age of menopause, do they mean the age you are actually in the menopause for those 12 months without a period, or the age which you start perimenopause? I started perimenopause at 39 as far as I know, but I was in the menopasue at almost 42 as that's when I had my last period.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 09:28:46 PM »

Cori - you are focusing too much in the negatives.
Menopause is defined as having been without a natural period for 12 months and the average age to be post meno is between 51-54, I believe. Many women need to work till they are 66 - so to be able to continue working they may need to stay in hrt.
If you already have bone density loss then hrt is you best option at this stage.

Progesterone can be problematic for some women and this why we suggest trying a sequential hrt first and this will give a monthly bleed. If after 3-6 months you find the progesterone suits you, then you can switch to a continuous hrt.
There are many HRT regimes on offer and most have bio identical oestrogen which is considered safer than the HRT your mother took to start with. Look under TREATMENTS on this site to see your options.

Do you want a life without flushes and night sweats? Do you want more energy so you can exercise and loose a bit of weight? Do you want to help your bones and heart?
Try HRT - you can stop whenever you want but I bet you'll enjoy getting your life back - quality of life is very important. DG x

AndieKC

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 10:41:47 PM »

Cori
I agree with the girls above, I started hot flushes aged 44, periods stopped completely aged 45, started HRT aged 46. It gave me my life back! hot flushes went in 3 days, anxiety soon after, took a few month to sort my sleep, and I've lost a stone in weight.

Do your research and verify everything the gP suggests, they do make mistakes sometimes but at least for a few years hrt is great and benefits outweigh the risks. I think up to 5 years it's considered short term use, and if you had early menopause, then the 5 year count starts at the age of ‘normal' menopause, I.e. 50/51 or so.
Sequential is a good start, keep and eye on endometrial thickness by having an ultrasound scan if offered sometime down the line. There are different types of progestin to try, and estrogen can be taken as systemic (tablets), patches or gel (less risk for example of stroke with long term use) so read up on it, but the choice is really either to suffer the debilitating symptoms and possible osteoporosis, or take it, and get your life back. I can't begin to tell you how my body just went back to normal on hrt, everything just works. Remember you can always stop, but once find the right fit and feel great, you will not want to...
Xx

Tinkerbell

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 11:10:50 PM »

I agree with DG, quality of life is what is important, HRT was life changing to me, i was plagued with awful VA and awake all night with palpitations. You are young and you need to protect your bones, honestly you don't want to end up like my mother in law did, try the HRT, you can stop it at any point you want to.

Cori

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 04:54:25 PM »

Thanks guys. Do you have to have a mirena fitted to use patches?? Are patches as effective as tablets?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 07:13:36 PM »

Oestrogen Patches or Oestrogel are usually better than pills - these can be used with the Mirena OR you can take progesterone as Utrogestan or Provera, sequentially or continuously. 
You can get combined HRT patches which have both oestrogen and progesterone.

Here are the links on this site that give all your treatment options.
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatment.php
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php
DG x

Emerald2017

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 05:51:41 AM »

I had a strong argument with a gyn yesterday! I said to him that I am on hrt due to my early menopause and he said that it is the worst thing I can ever do.
I asked him why and said that if I were his wife, he would never give hrt to me.
He said that it is poison and it gives cancer. When I said that I am only 43, he said that it doesn't matter and I will be better without it.
I said that I am going to take it longterm, maybe for life and he said that there is no scientific data that hrt is safe.
When I said that it is like replacing the hormones I don't produce anymore, he said that it is not natural and artificial hormones are far riskier than our natural hormones. Of course I will not visit him again...I feel so sad sometimes and I want just to share it...:)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 07:34:38 AM »

Emerald - how awful. He should be struck off for being so dogmatic, misinformed and being unethical.
If I had been you I would have asked him to put his recommendations in writing and I would then forward this to Dr Currie, the Menopause society, the Royal College of surgeons and the health authority.
He is basically being negligent because if a women follows his advice and then develops osteoporosis or heart disease due to early menopause and no hrt treatment he should be sued for negligence.
It is staggering that a gynae can be so out of date. DG x

Emerald2017

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 08:35:59 AM »

So true Dancinggirl! My gyn and my endo suggested me hrt for longterm use but I wanted and asked for a second opinion.
And maybe that was a bad idea cause it made me anxious and depressed. He was absolutely unkind and arrogant!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6