Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Indigestion & Health Anxiety  (Read 3146 times)

Primrose

Indigestion & Health Anxiety
« on: July 02, 2018, 06:42:29 PM »

Dear Everyone,

Please could you try and help me....I am driving myself and everyone else crazy.

Diagnosed with Menopause in Oct last year....prescribed Elleste Duet.

I have wave after wave of symptoms which cause me such horrible health anxiety.

I had a three month bout of pins and needles and numbness in hands and feet.

Weeks of headaches.

A month of UTI's

Weeks of bowel problems

All of the above have now gone but replaced with...

Now I have indigestion and heartburn..I have a Hiatus Hernia and this causes reflux...losing weight has helped but I have had weeks of this...I have a brilliant GP he said he is sure it is an ulcerated oesophgagus prescribed Omeprazole...I was symptom free within 3 weeks...then I start the 'little green pills in my HRT pack and off we go again....pain in chest through to back...water springs in my mouth...palpitations...feel like food is stuck...panic....hysteria....GP still saying give it time...he is trying to assure me it is nothing sinister.

When I am distracted I have to say it disappears...when I get stressed...off the scale with the pain.  I recognise the symptoms but I just cannot cope with them.

I have become this pathetic anxious woman....constantly worrying...I feel dizzy....tearful...terrified of every little thing.

When I am rational and calm symptoms do ease....I think I might have hurt myself in Yoga as it is often worse after all the stretches.

So sorry for massive anxious post but please...when will this stop....

Oh and to top it all my hair appears to be thinning.

Honestly....I feel rubbish.

Thank you for reading my post.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Indigestion & Health Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 08:27:51 PM »

OK - ......... and breath  ;)

As oestrogen levels drop the muscles may become lax = aches and pains, plus many ladies get a hiatus hernia at this time of Life.  Which gives indigestion, heart burn, acid reflux  >:(.  I find Rennies appropriate as well as not eating/drinking anything too close to going to bed.

Dropped levels can also increase dryness, inside and out.  Hence your repeated urine 'infections'.  Did your GP send urine samples away to be tested in a Lab.?  Do read the threads on vaginal atrophy which can present as urine infection-type symptoms  >:(!  Appropriate HRT will plump up the vaginal area and reduce dryness and the feeling of needing to pee.

Bowels can become upset with hormonal upheaval.  10 mins. prior to a bleed I would get 'the runs', even if a period wasn't due !

Yoga should be relaxing.  One should not be able to cause damage!  Do you go to classes?

Browse round.  Make notes.

Primrose

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 07:55:27 AM »

Thank you so much for replying....I truly appreciate it....peer support works for me every time....real people who 'get it's.

Yes, my Hiatus Hernia was diagnosed with Endoscopy. I have had it....I think about 7 years with the odd flare up...I have lost about 10 stones which has helped masses and more recently another 2 stone....low cal high exercise but it just seems to have  really flared since meno.

Anxiety cripples it....of course then I worry more and the vicious circle begins....thank you for giving some advice ladies.

:) :)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 12:52:46 PM »

That's a huge amount and will benefit you!   :foryou:  :congrats:

Some ladies find that keeping a diary of symptoms/food/moods etc. helpful to chart progress. 

Anxiety can be difficult  :-X HRT may help as do appropriate anti-anxiety and anti-depressant medications.  Deep breathing.  Brisk walking.  A regular diet as surges can happen if the body is hungry  ::)

AgathaC

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 02:39:21 AM »

I am a newbie so what I have to say may be of less relevance/importance/help.
Primrose - my perimenopause journey started with anxiety and digestive issues. I've added in other symptoms along the way  ;D (some of which come and go) but I'm always left with the anxiety and intermittent digestive issues.
I had an endoscopy and was prescribed omeprazole. I was reassured that it was fine to take long term but it gave me headaches and just didn't quite agree with me.
What did agree with me was a diet - Dr Koufmans acid reflux diet - you can get it on amazon.
I did it religiously for 6 weeks, lost 9 pounds and my acid reflux calmed right down.
As with most things, I fell off the diet and am now chubby again (erm - actually I am now fat) with loads of horrible perimenopause symptoms (health anxiety and sore boobs at the top of the list).
But your post has inspired me to get back on Dr Koufmans.
I'm in awe of your weight loss, by the way.

AgathaC

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 02:46:34 AM »

P.S. I feel rubbish most of the time too. And my hair used to look like Rapunzel (okay, an older, fatter Rapunzel) but now I actually am a dead ringer for Boris Johnson.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 03:03:22 PM »

Keep your sense of humour, you'll fit right in  ;)

When stressed my gut plays up.  So if menopause symptoms are causing stress, then it stands to reason that the gut: the 2nd Brain: may well react.  When I had heartburn following surgery I was given peppermint tea ..... sounds awful but it worked for me.  The Nurse wouldn't give me the receipe though  :D

AgathaC

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 02:41:19 AM »

Primrose, how are you feeling a few days on? X

Roseneath

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 08:27:54 PM »

Primrose. Your post could have been my last year to a T. I did a double take to check I hadn't written it. Everything you put  I went through. If you read my post I have just put in the ' Gastritis' thread at the top. Hand in there. Everything you put is bang on Peri and it really sucks, it is so hard think positively .... but it will get better please believe that. Try to have little goals every day and keep busy.