Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Combined hrt due to endometriosis -advice please  (Read 2115 times)

EleanorB

Combined hrt due to endometriosis -advice please
« on: June 24, 2018, 08:07:40 AM »

Hello,

New here and i'd be really grateful for any thoughts. I am ten months without a period, 49 and started with the whole peri experience around 47. I was diagnosed with endometriosis around the same time, they happened to flukily spot an endo cyst on a uterine scan. I have no symptoms from that other than back pain.

My meno symptoms are now so severe I am not working and utterly desperate for relief. I have been offered the mirena with oestrogen separately. Initially I resisted this as I have a very severe migraine condition and was worried about inserting something that could trigger it. I was offered the alternative of Evorel Conti but told due to not being 12 months post my last period I may be troubled by bleeding. I am currently doing nothing apart from vagifem and muddling through but literally can't afford to feel like this anymore.

Any thoughts. I am erring towards a mirena plus oestrogen but it really scares me due to potential migraine exacerbation.  I now wonder if there are alternative transdermal  hrt options other than Evorel Conti. I have heard the northisterone in that can be hard to tolerate. . Also has anyone tried a combi patch like Evorel Conti earlier than 12 months post last period and not been bothered by bleeding, or not much bleeding?

The only thing I know for sure is I don't want oral hrt rather transdermal due to lesser risk of cardio side effects  - big history of cardio issues in my family.

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Dancinggirl

Re: Combined hrt due to endometriosis -advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 09:46:39 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM

It's worth trying these patches fro a few months to see if they help but you may find you get erratic bleeding as you are still peri menopause.   The Mirena is a great transdermal way to receive the progesterone - there is no guarantee you won't get some migraines but headaches can often increase with the menopause anyway.
I would seriously consider the Mirena with separate oestrogen as either patch or gel, as this can be the best way to control endometriosis, fibroids and possible problematic bleeding and can often give fewer progesterone side effects.  HRT does protect your heart and bones but it's important to look at lifestyle choices - so good diet, keep the weight down and get enough sensible exercise e.g. brisk walking every day. DG x

Otes73

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 03:12:28 PM »

Hello,

I have had extensive Endometriosis covering my ovaries and bowels. I've had numerous surgeries most recently my ovaries removed.

I use patches but you could use patch or gel and I take Utrogeston (progesterone) every night.

The progesterone is important as helps the build up of further Endometriosis. I've had no side effects from the progesterone at all so if you're not keen on trying the Mirena maybe could be an option for you.

X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 05:24:40 PM »

Otes73 - I'm pleased to hear you are getting on OK with Utrogestan.  I'm afraid Utrogestan gave me problematic bleeding as it's not very stable. - I also felt very sedated on Utrogestan and got a nasty rash on my face!!! We are all different so react differently to the various progesterones. The Mirena delivers progesterone more directly to where it is needed and often with fewer side effects.  DG x

Otes73

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 06:26:08 PM »

I've no uterus for the Mirena  Dancinggirl so for me it was a good job no side effects from the Utrogeston!

I did try the Mirena a few years ago pre hysterectomy but unfortunately it gave me acne.

Xx