Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: can too much estrogel cause hair shedding?  (Read 7069 times)

Noheroicsplease

can too much estrogel cause hair shedding?
« on: June 21, 2018, 06:46:13 PM »

I'm going through a hair shedding epsiode. Is it coincidence that in the past 2.5 months I've increased my Estrogel pump from 1 - 4 a day?

I've actually just started to drop it for other reasons but I wondered if anyone knew if there was a link with increased estrogel and hair loss?

allie007

Re: can too much estrogel cause hair shedding?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 06:55:23 PM »

Mine seems to feel thinner the last few months but ive put that down to a menopause symptom. I started Estrogel in March, 1 pump, but havent felt any better so upped it to 2 and now to 3 in the last few days x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 07:34:41 PM »

Hair loss is not a normal side effect of adding oestrogen - it should have the reverse effect I would say! (well it's not listed in the side effects anyway - even the rare ones...). I would suggest it has some other cause eg vitmain/mineral deficiencies, thryoid function or the progestogen you are using ( Mirena still?).

Hurdity x

allie007

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 08:04:52 PM »

Hi Hurdity, i have a Mirena, just coming up to 5 years and on the waiting list to get it replaced........

Tempest

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 10:21:37 PM »

Hi!

If you scroll down to the bottom of this article:

https://www.hairsentinel.com/estrogen-and-hair-loss.html

It explores some possibilities for how unbalanced estrogen may cause hair loss (mainly estrogen that is too high).

We do tend to shed more hair in general in spring/summer - this could very well be what you're experiencing as a temporary seasonal shift, unless you notice noticeable thinning over time. I hope this helps! xxxx

tika

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 07:10:12 AM »

If MM had a yes tick I would tick it Tempest.

Great article! I have thick hair just as well as I am always changing the colour.

Hair is mostly influenced by the natural shedding cycles, genetics, life style (diet) and temporary shifting of hormones up or down, the body can react to change ( any kind of change) by shedding hair.

Biotin is great for hair either with a supplement or an egg a day. 

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 07:45:33 AM »

Ah the old chestnut about oestrogen dominance - it seems to pop up everywhere in lots of articles! The article about hair generally is interesting but I haven't seen any evidence that so-called "oestrogen dominance" or adding oestrogen contributes to hair-shedding. It is more likely to be a balance between oestrogen and testosterone if there is a balance to be upset! If oestrogen dominance were to blame then most (or many) women who have had hysterectomies would complain of hair shedding as they added oestrogen, or women on long cycles like me - would notice hair shedding in the latter part of the cycle before adding in the progesterone.

I would suggest noheroicsplease the most likely explanation is another factor - although I accept that hormone changes in general can affect the body in a myriad of ways. However if increasing exogenous oestrogen was a well-known effect it would be listed in the side-effects surely?

Hurdity x

Sammiejane

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 02:52:57 PM »

I've been on estrogel for 6 months and yes hair-loss is listed as a side effect and yes estrogens can cause hair loss !
I've had hysterectomy and ovaries removed in 2014 no HRT till dec 2018 so only take estrogen hrt which is estrogel 2 pumps and I never had hair loss up intill messing around with estrogen it started sept 2018 when I initially tried elleste solo for 7 weeks didn't suit so stopped then 2 weeks later started vagifem then 6 weeks later lost half my hair and still thinning now so I would say it's either the estrogen causing as hair would of shed 3-4 months after starting or it was the stopping which would of been 2/3 months however it's still thinning and find if I increase dose side effects worse and hairloss worse , every hair that is shed has white bulb seen dermatology and they think telegen effluvium however aswell as overall thinning it has receded behind ears and lost nape of neck I used to have curls that hung down on back of neck from my pony tail these have completely gone and all since taking estrogen yet had no issues prior or when I took contraceptive pill for 5 years so considering stopping HRT and going on birth control as I'm only 40