Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Positive feedback for Mirena Coil?  (Read 690 times)

sarastolly

• First Flush
Positive feedback for Mirena Coil?
« on: June 21, 2018, 05:59:36 PM »

Sorry, this is my first post after lurking for many years...This site is amazing and I am grateful that it exists as I find general conversation about menopause is still very non existent! I am 47 and have been peri for about 5 years. I have tried several conti HRT treatments, but as a severe anxiety sufferer, the progesterone part just made me worse. My GP has now confirmed I am now menopausal, and need treatment. I am glad as all my coping mechanisms for Anxiety have completely gone out of the window, probably due to the big drop in hormones.
My ideal option ( sorry if this sounds extreme, it but you must understand the severity of my anxiety over the years) is to have a hysterectomy and go on just oestrogen and luckily my GP agrees. However, she said I must try the Merina as it's a tiny hit of progesterone, before they will even consider me. I am sterilised so have never had to consider it( coil)  but I am truly terrified of having it and the disruption it can cause to my body ( guilty of google )
Sorry for the long post, I truly hope some of you can offer some support x

Tinkerbell

Re: Positive feedback for Mirena Coil?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 06:05:40 PM »

I have had a Mirena for two years and apart from the 4.5 months of spotting I had after it was fitted I have had no side effects at all, no weight gain, mood swings, I do get bloated very occasionally not sure if that is food related though.

Perinowpost

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 07:04:29 PM »

I would be very careful if I were you sarastolly.  I'm progesterone intolerant and despite that was advised to try the mirena but unfortunately it didn't work for me.  Symptoms were low mood, weight gain and lack of libido.  All symptoms disappeared within 48 hours of having it removed. Unfortunately you won't know until you actually have it fitted how you get on with it. I was advised to persevere for 6 months and professionals were reluctant to remove it before this ended so I was stuck with it until then. It's your choice ultimately of course but knowing myself I would never have another mirena.  Wishing you luck in whatever you decide x

sarastolly

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 07:30:23 PM »

Hi
Thanks for the feedback, sadly I have to try it as there are no other options for me. I have to have the progesterone apparently as I still have a womb,  and  my anxiety is hightened by the lack of oestrogen, all my coping mechanisms for Anxiety control cannot control the hormone factor I now have. I'm not sure what else to try. I have Crohn's disease so am limited diet and supplement wise.

Perinowpost

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 07:50:03 PM »

Lack of oestrogen definitely impacts on anxiety.  I felt marvellous when I started on patches (evorel 50) so I know firsthand.  It's the progesterone I struggle with. Here's hoping it works for you x