Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: High calorie Milkshakes  (Read 1711 times)

Tinkerbell

High calorie Milkshakes
« on: June 20, 2018, 11:21:29 AM »

Has anybody got any recepies for high calorie milkshakes.
My teenage son struggles with weight gain and am worried as his BMI is 16.36 using an online calculator and he is looking so gaunt.

star35

Re: High calorie Milkshakes
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 01:25:22 PM »

I'm not sure but I think if you mix them with ice cream it helps boost calories.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 02:00:37 PM »

Has he had a full health check? 

Maybe speak to a Pharmacist as they will know what is on the shelves that may help or see if there is a dietician attached to your Surgery.  How active is he?  Does he stress ........ is he worried?

You could of course have a look at BEAT web-site which is  to support those suffering eating disorders, they may have recipes.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 06:15:43 PM »

Thank you I will have a look on that website, he is under a paediatrician for various health issues and I am chasing up his next appointment, was just worried about him being underweight when we go into autumn as he catches everything going.

Lanzalover

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 08:26:19 PM »

Hi Tinkerbell

Before my Mum had her op she was prescribed Ensure drinks to build her up and put weight on her.
They contain a mixture of vitamins,calories and daily nutrients you can also buy them and they are like a milk shake.(various flavours are available)
You would need to check with your pharmacist if they are suitable for teenagers first but it may be worth trying.

Lanzalover x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 11:44:35 AM »

If he is under care then the Paediatrician should be able to refer directly to a Dietician.  Might be worth while asking the Secretary when you are chasing the appt. so that your son can be seen on the same day.

Tiddles

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 07:23:32 PM »

Hi Tinkerbell

You can buy high calorie, fortified liquid supplement called Fortisip from the pharmacy (or get them on prescription ) which are aimed at people who have lost their appetite but would also make a good basis for a shake you could add things like banana to, also chopped nuts would be nutritious and high cal, a spoonful of peanut butter or full fat flavoured yoghurt? All healthy but also all relatively high in calories. Xxx