Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Menopause and MS  (Read 2171 times)

Aquarius

Menopause and MS
« on: June 20, 2018, 10:01:41 AM »

Hi, can anyone tell me if they have MS and are going through the menopause? I'm 51 and peri menopause. I was diagnosed with relapsing remitting MS when I was 30 and fortunately I have coped with it very well. I'm taking Elleste 1mg duet as I'm still having periods. Also have been on antidepressants since January due to anxiety which I think menopause caused it without me knowing. Have just recently been switched from Mirtazapine to amitriptyline which suited me with any nerve pain. Just wondered if anyone else experienced anything with MS and menopause. So desperate to get myself better and live a normal life again!  :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Menopause and MS
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 02:02:31 PM »

There are several on here with various conditions as well as menopause.  Hopefully they will be along!

Fedfan

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 11:00:06 AM »

Hi Aquarius,
You could be me!!! I am also 51, dx with RRMS at 30 and perimenopausal. I am on Tecfidera DMD and amitriptyline. I have been experiencing wierd symptoms for the last 2 years and think they are linked to hormones rather than MS as I have like you coped pretty well with MS over the years. The symptom which has really effected me recently has been the feeling of blocked ears and pressure in my head. I have been investigated by ENT at my local hospital who could find no reason for it-even had MRI scan of ears. Also referred to maxiofacial dept incase it was related to jaw. Again no answers. My GP says this is not a menopausal symptom although I have read on this forum of others suffering with sinus issues. I am not on HRT. Not sure who to turn to next.                                 

Smokey1234

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 11:29:37 AM »

Hi Aquarius and Fedfan

I also have Ms.  I am 51 and also have RRMS and menopause not sure if Im Still peri or post as have been on Hrt since the age of 45 when all hell lest lose. I had first symptom and was taken to hospital I was off balance down right side of body. Hospital thought I'd had a stroke and spent two weeks in and out of different wards with various test scans and  had alumbar puncture.

Whilst I was in their it was discovered I had high calcium which turned out I had lump on My Parathyroid I waited a couple of months then got surgery it had then been sent off to check whether it was benign or not a long 8 weeks wait. Thankfully it wasn't,!
I thought after all that and the healing etc I was getting back to normal but I was so exhausted all the time a further month down the line I had an appointment from the Hospital for my lumbar punture results and was shocked to learn I had ms, especially as my first symptom cleared up whilst I was originally in hospital.

I shall pop back in a bit and continue I've just got to have lunch as if I don't eat very regularly I feel ill.

See you soon

Ann (smokey1234)

Smokey1234

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 01:22:14 PM »

Hi I'm back

I had visited the Doctors for check up on how my scars were healing and kept asking why I was so exhausted all the time even though I had ms they never indicated it was fatigue caused by my ms, so then I had my thyroid tested and was slightly under Active so was prescribed Thyroxine now I'm on 75mg I have had so many ups and downs feeling ill one day then ok next that's when I found this site and gradually with advise from ladies on here I realised I was in peri menopause,  after researching ms and menopause I realised my symptoms could be either.

My ms so far symptoms are mainly fatigue nerve pain and one bout of Optic Nuritus. I'm also on Tecfidera have been for about 2 years started having stomach issues and was going to quit but it turned out I had Gallstones so had it removed last December.  Still had stomach pain like before I had the op, but suddenly it all disappeared and seem to be able to eat normally again. Don't ask me how this came about as I'm baffled!

It would be good to compare feelings with other women with ms as sometimes I feel really weird and would be good to talk about instead of keep ringing my ms nurse, she is great but they are always busy !!

Ann (Smokey1234)