Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Replens any one used??  (Read 24430 times)

SEU666

Replens any one used??
« on: June 19, 2018, 01:20:50 PM »

Anyone used Replens  for vaginal,dryness and irritation?
Just started to get uncomfortable and GP said to try Replens as he won't up my HRT dose at the moment.
Had a Mirena put in May 2017 and started estradot patch in September 2017, 25mg and was put on 50mg in January 2018. Been having hot flushes and painful, clotty and heavier periods that were becoming closer together since 41, now 47. Tried several minin pills but clinic then advised mirena to stop bleeding problems.
I have used Replens for a week and a half and still feeling uncomfortable with a lot of residue inside me. Leaflet says you get this after first use, but was wondering how it has been with everyone else?
Does it take a couple of weeks to soften up and clear old cells, therefore shall I persevere for a bit longer. I was so sore and uncomfortable when I got home yesterday that I showered and re did the Replens application.
Getting me down a bit as I ride a motorbike everyday to and from work and due to go on holiday on it with my hubby end of July. Need to try to get it feeling a bit better or it'll be terrible.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 01:31:24 PM by SEU666 »

Dancinggirl

Re: Replens any one used??
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 02:23:31 PM »

Hi and welcome to mm
You need local oestrogen eg Vagifem. Even on systemic HRT, many women need local oestrogen alongside and it does recommend this in the NICE guidelines on treating urogenital atrophy.
I didn't like using Replens - I find SYLK much better and many women like the YES products. It's best to get these online.
Do tell your GP you need Vagifem and if he/she says you don't need it then you can quote the NICE guidelines and ask if you could try it. I will be using Vagifem for the rest of my life.
BTW - if sex is particularly difficult then do try Durex ‘Perfect Glide' - you'll need to get this online.
The Mirena with seperate oestrogen is a great hrt combo and you should be able to stick with this for many years but just remember to have the Mirena changed every 4 years.
DG x

Spangles

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 08:29:41 PM »

Hi,
I've never had a problem with replens.
xXx

Daisydot

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 08:56:16 PM »

Was this not the one that gps were advised to discontinue because of problems with it,have a google and research it maybe? I'm sure it was.x

NinaH

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 09:36:51 PM »

Cottage cheese knickers is what I remember of replens  ;D

Vagifem is much better and I am on systematic hrt as well.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 09:52:13 PM »

I should have been a bit clearer. Sylk and the YES products are vaginal
Moisturisers. Vagifem is local oestrogen treatment that helps with dryness and maintains vaginal and bladder health. It's best to use both Vagifem and vaginal moisturisers to keep the whole area healthy. DG x

SEU666

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 06:54:38 AM »

Doctor said HE didn't know much about Vaginal moisturisers (sorry but I think he should!) but only one he knew about was  Replens. I will look up the Nice guidelines, thank you for that tip, and have a look at YES products too.
Not had the “Cottage cheese” knickers effect as nothing is seeping out! More like I found it inside when I checked the Mirena strings!
Sort of feels dry and irritated inside, don't seem to be having much vaginal discharge as I used to. Always had to wear panty liners all the time anyway. Always told I was lucky as well lubed!!!
Well not now, aaah!!

Maryjane

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 07:24:20 AM »

Replens isn't good stuff , full of nasties and “ clogs” up some women  and causes thrush .

Daisydot

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 08:00:42 AM »

Hi as Dancng girl says you really sound like you need vagifem you will see such a difference after that initial two week load it really reduces that inflammation and dryness and then you'd drop down to two or three times a week for life.( see nice guidelines) you really don't want to stop ever or it returns with a vengeance.
As an outside lube you could use pure organic raw pressed coconut oil from Holland and Barrett it's antibacterial and no cheesy knickers effects lol ,like that description,or I also like vagisil pro hydrate I find that really pleasant to use and you can carry in your bag if you find you need it more because of motor bike useage,it's all trial and error as to what suits but your gp should be more clued up plonker.good luck x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 09:12:30 AM »

Here is the section from teh NICE guidelines:
Urogenital atrophy
Offer vaginal oestrogen to women with urogenital atrophy (including those on systemic HRT) and continue treatment for as long as needed to relieve symptoms.
Consider vaginal oestrogen for women with urogenital atrophy in whom systemic HRT is contraindicated, after seeking advice from a healthcare professional with expertise in menopause.
If vaginal oestrogen does not relieve symptoms of urogenital atrophy, consider increasing the dose after seeking advice from a healthcare professional with expertise in menopause.
Explain to women with urogenital atrophy that:
symptoms often come back when treatment is stopped
adverse effects from vaginal oestrogen are very rare
they should report unscheduled vaginal bleeding to their GP.
Advise women with vaginal dryness that moisturisers and lubricants can be used alone or in addition to vaginal oestrogen.
Do not offer routine monitoring of endometrial thickness during treatment for urogenital atrophy.

SEU666

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 11:45:12 AM »

Thanks Dancinggirl for the NICE info I've just copied it and will print and take with me for the doctor.
xx

Tinkerbell

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 04:22:09 PM »

I tried Replens in the early days of VA hated it, I have to use 3 pumps of estrogel and Vagifem every day.
I would definitely give the Vagifem a go.

Bridge48

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 09:32:47 AM »

Is Vagifem stronger than Ovdstin? I'm not finding that Ovestin is having as much effect as it used to, and my bladder problems have come back. Can anyone advise?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 10:09:23 AM »

Vagifem is generally liked by most women as it is less messy to use and you can place it up inside (it has an applicator) to target the area you need. Some use both Vagifem and Ovestin but vaginal moisturisers alongside are also essential but moisturiser needs to be used at a different time of day or it may prevent absorption of the oestrogen.
I personally think Vagifem is the most effective.
Bladder problems probably need more regular use of local oestrogen, so 3-4 times a week, and you must avoid caffein, fruit juices and alcohol but drink lots of water.
DG x

Annie0710

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 10:10:53 AM »

Also the fact you're still having flushes means your hrt dose is not enough.  Is there another gp you can talk to ? X
Pages: [1] 2 3 4