Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Pain killers  (Read 2909 times)

Spangles

Pain killers
« on: June 19, 2018, 07:22:39 AM »

Hi ladies,
I've just has the most painful period I've had in ages. I had to resort to paracetamol and ibuprofen. I felt groggy for the last couple of days. I've also got diarrhoea but not sure if this is my anxiety as I'm on my period and it's quite high.
I don't like pain killers as I always feel rubbish when I've taken them.
Any thoughts on this please?
Thanks
Spangles
xXx

Tinkerbell

Re: Pain killers
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 09:11:29 AM »

Ibuprofen can upset your stomach.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 09:50:54 AM »

Could you see if 'feminax' is still available, this was the only product that stopped period pains for me when I was 13/14.  Then it was withdrawn without warning but returned to the market a couple of years later [1970s].  Speak with a Pharmacist too, they have private rooms.

I had 'the runs' 10 mins. B4 a bleed began even if a period wasn't due  >:(

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 02:35:16 PM »

Could you see if 'feminax' is still available, this was the only product that stopped period pains for me when I was 13/14.  Then it was withdrawn without warning but returned to the market a couple of years later [1970s].  Speak with a Pharmacist too, they have private rooms.

I had 'the runs' 10 mins. B4 a bleed began even if a period wasn't due  >:(
I took it in the 70's but it made me feel ill (flu like I think) so I dropped it and went back to paracetamol. 

Spangles

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 08:42:50 PM »

I believe Feminax is still available.
I'm so bothered by painkillers, they really mess my system up for days and it makes me scared to take them.
Most months it's like giving birth!
Thank you
xXx

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 09:54:57 PM »

The idea with 'feminax' I think from memory - and remember I'm menopausal so not a lot of memory left ;-) - was to take it 1-2 days prior to an expected period.

In what way do pain killers upset you? 

Spangles

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 06:03:53 AM »

Leave me feeling groggy, almost like a hangover, (I don't drink). Nauseous and generally yuk.

katsclaws

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 08:08:12 AM »

Feminax Ultra contains 250mg Naproxen which is a painkiller used for gout (usually 500mg dose twice a day for gout.)

Daisydot

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 08:17:16 AM »

I'm the same spangles it seems to take me days to get over using them I also get completely bunged up Bowel wise that's the worst effect for me I'm so sluggish on the.
What about a portable tens machine that might be a good alternative for you x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 02:03:35 PM »

That may of course by the fillers and/or coatings rather than the active ingredient.  Perhaps have a talk with a Pharmacist?

tika

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 02:19:30 PM »

I use to suffer from very painful periods each month, I was prescribed Ponstan, which did work, I wasn't sure if they were still available so googled and they are.

https://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/aches-pains/a7366/ponstan-mefenamic-acid/

It acts on prostaglandins in the uterus and calms the cramping and inflammation.

Spangles

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 02:20:40 PM »

Hi ladies,
Thanks for your replies, a colleague has said that she takes Buscopan during her period and has found that it relieves a lot of cramping. Makes sense so may also give that a try.
xXx

aliwade71

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 08:07:12 PM »

I use to suffer from very painful periods each month, I was prescribed Ponstan, which did work, I wasn't sure if they were still available so googled and they are.

https://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/aches-pains/a7366/ponstan-mefenamic-acid/

It acts on prostaglandins in the uterus and calms the cramping and inflammation.

I was prescribed this for severe period pain many years ago - and it really does work.  Just one tablet on the first day was enough for me.  Still have some in my medicine cupboard just in case I have another crampy period