Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Change in eating habits  (Read 3108 times)

Lynda07

Change in eating habits
« on: June 17, 2018, 06:33:30 PM »

Evening ladies

Can I start by saying I may not post much but this forum is my lifeline!

Have any of you noticed a change in your eating habits? I find myself wanting to eat less stodge these days, it just makes mw feel so full, bloated and ill. It's as if my body needs less/smaller meals. I used to enjoy lager too but now that makes me feel pretty horrible, stomach wise.

I suffer badly from Health Anxiety but even I don't think this is anything sinister (most of the time) but did wonder if it was part of the menopause?

Thank you just for listening.

Kathleen

Re: Change in eating habits
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 06:49:34 PM »

Hello Lynda07.

Yep, this forum is a lifeline for me too, especially on bad days.

I think lots of ladies have posted about this subject so you are not alone. I seem to go through phases of being ravenously hungry and then losing my appetite completely. I always wonder if it is linked to the remnants of a cycle but I can't be sure.

Take care and I'm sure other ladies will be along soon.

K.

Lynda07

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 06:52:50 PM »

Thank you Kathleen, apologies if I am repeating previous posts.

I have lots of bad days, my husband says ‘stop reading' and I'm like ‘no, it makes me feel better to know I am not alone'.
X

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 07:00:47 PM »

Hi lynda07
Yep, I'm the same, just get so fed up with food, don't know what I want most days.
I could just eat a sandwich and that would be enough for the day, then have a bowl
cornflakes before bed, and that's it. I've even gone off fruit too, and I love fruit.
When I cook a proper meal, I only eat a small amount, like a child's size dinner,
that's enough.
So until I get really hungry, I'm happy to go along with it, can't explain why, unless
it's because I've been on the rollercoaster of emotions again, which I'm trying to sort out.
As for greasy food, nooooo, can't tolerate it, makes me feel sick. So don't go anywhere near
it.....
Jd x

Daisydot

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 07:04:21 PM »

Hi Lynda don't ever stop reading there's a lot of positivity here ok we may drone on about our battles with gps etc but we are usually able to resolve things in some way so that we can then post updates and try and help other ladies to progress using our experiences and knowledge rather than sitting in a dark place feeling isolated because lack of knowledge is your biggest enemy at the moment.once you gain that knowledge from reading and learning and equipping yourself here you'll never look back.Your body is telling you now it prefers smaller more regular fuel so listen to it and always follow your instincts don't doubt yourself and you'll grow as a person.small and healthy portion sizes that's the secret.good luck xx

Lynda07

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 07:22:22 PM »

Jillydoll and Daisydot, thank you! I've always loved my food but recently a lot of the the things I used to eat make me feel ill, the bloating is awful, it goes eventually but I feel rough!

If my body is telling me small and often that's what I will eat. I know I should give alcohol up too but find that hard 😥

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 07:25:58 PM »

Hello again Lynda07.

So sorry if you thought I was criticising your post, I was trying to reassure you that many ladies have the same issues so there was no need to worry.

I know what you mean about the forum being reassuring. We would never find so many like minded people in our normal daily lives but here everyone understands what we are going through and that is a great help.

Take care.

K.

Daisydot

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 07:34:41 PM »

Hi Kathleen I don't think you were being in the slightest bit critical you took the time to respond to a cry for help and thats all that matters I think.it was a nice post x

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 07:54:06 PM »

Yep, same here Kathleen. I agree with daisydot.
Wasn't anything wrong with your post.

Lynda07,  I suffer with the bloating thing too sometimes, I take windeze
They really work for me, maybe give them a go, they might work for you too,
you buy them from any chemist, good luck..

Jd x

Lynda07

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 08:27:26 PM »

Kathleen, no, please don't think that. I just felt worried I was repeating something that had already been discussed. Your reply was lovely. In no way whatsoever did I think it was criticism.

Thank you Jillydoll, I will try them; used to have them years ago.x

knorman

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 05:23:03 AM »

Hello Lynda07

My OH notices a change in my eating habits (and I do try my best to eat well!) and we think it is down to my previous cycle (no period for 18 months) as I have a 'binge' day or two.  Lamb has always been my favourite meat, but 2 years ago could not stomach the taste, nor the smell of it cooking.  I am looking forward to enjoying a slow roasted shoulder of lamb again one day. I cannot drink for love nor money at the moment either, makes me feel so ill and my boss has gone through the same thing. I am happy to report that she is obviously through and out the other side now as she is managing a drink or two without the awful side effects. I have been to the Drs so many times in the last 8 months with various ailments, that I suggested she put in a revolving door for me.  She has been lovely and very patient, she understands the health anxiety a lot of us seem to go through.

You are doing the right thing in listening to your body, we should always trust it.  With regard to the bloating, have you tried a probiotic and prebiotic?  I use Optibac One A Day and have just started on inulin prebiotic.  Gut health as we are learning is really important at the best of times, but right now, we need all the help we can get. Eating less stodge sounds like you have inadvertently hit on one of the pluses of menopause, well done!!!

Lynda07

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 12:38:36 PM »

Knorman thank you for your reply - I hadn't thought of that (probiotic).

I do feel as if my body is trying to tell me what to do, I've ignored it over the years and got away with it - the joys of youth - but I do have to listen to it now and change things.

Thanks again x

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 01:15:08 PM »

Hi Lynda07

Even if subjects have been posted about before - they are probably not exactly the same ie not about YOU and YOUR BODY!

Whilst our metabolism does change as we age and especially after menopause ( we need to eat less and exercise more just to stay the same weight and don't need as much to keep us going), if you are feeling bloated frequently and food/drink is making you feel ill, if this persists then it is just worth making a quick visit to the doc - perhaps mentioning on your next visit if you are going about something else, just to be checked out. There are conditions which can lead to these symptoms - mostly harmless - but occasionally could be something serious - so you have nothing to lose by being checked out?

Hasving said that - the meals I eat now are much much smaller than when I was younger - although I do get hungry and food does not make me feel ill....

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 03:06:17 PM »

It varies for me on a daily basis.  Some days I can eat 'normally' but feel bloated and sick.  Other days I am not hungry or food tastes different!  'off' .......... not right.  Food that I have eaten for weeks. 

jillydoll  ::)  ..............  graze girl, graze!

Eating little and often helps keep energy levels even.  Stops that awful drop when the body needs sustenance. 

In the 1990s I went off chocolate, it made my body feel sluggish.  Now it gives me indigestion  >:(.  I didn't miss it as much I thought I would.

Lynda07

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 05:21:47 PM »

Thank you Hurdity and CLKD.

I will go to the Dr if it persists for sure, I normally give things a couple of weeks but am such a worrier I would have to get it checked if it continued.

It sounds as if it's not just me, I am grateful for all your replies.

I am so glad I found this forum x
Pages: [1] 2