Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Sudden Tiredness  (Read 2320 times)

So Tired

Sudden Tiredness
« on: June 15, 2018, 08:37:42 AM »

Hiya.
 I am new here and am totally lost with what my body is doing.

I am short tempered (as if on period) & am sooooooo tired, sometimes I feel as though I could drop asleep whilst driving. The tiredness comes so suddenly    :(

I can deal with the hot flushes but I feel sorry for my husband who is having to deal with me (he's brilliant though & totally understands) At the moment I feel like a worn down horrible person & that's not me at all.

I can't take HRT as mum & grandmum had cancer.

Can anyone advise me is there anything I can take/drink to help my mood & wake me up please

xxx
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 11:00:29 AM by So Tired »

Annie0710

Re: Sudden Tiredness
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 11:33:04 AM »

Hi and welcome

Do you know the details of your family's cancer? I don't know anything about it really but have read here about hormone related cancer etc which could be vital re hrt

Have you had ferritin/b12/thyroid / vit D ruled out as a reason for your tiredness ?

If you have good levels of the above and your relatives' cancer was hormone related I honestly don't know what else to suggest, sorry, but I'm sure someone will be along with better advice x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 02:36:45 PM »

Hi So Tired

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your symptoms and also about your close relatives' cancers. There are very specific guidelines as to (usually breast cancer) risk to close relatives so unless you have already done so it might be worth looking into this because not all cancers nor even all breast cancers in close relatives are a contra-indication to HRT.

You can also ask for a referral to assess you own risk in certain circumstances - there are guidelines on this:
https://patient.info/doctor/familial-breast-cancer

As well as the tests recommended by Annie it is worth looking at your whole lifestyle at this point - ie your diet, lifestyle, exercise, body weight, smoking status, alcohol intake, lifestyle - if necessary and make adjustments to minimise any health risks as you go through menopause and beyond into older age.

You haven't said how old you are nor what your periods/cycle are doing. This will give a clue as to where you are in menopause..

There are prescribable alternatves to HRT that can be effective for flushes, sweats and low mood for some women who are unable to take HRT for medical reasons - and if you want I can link to the summary paper that lists them all. There is also a section on this website on the menu - alternatives to HRT (the prescribed ones).

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

So Tired

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 01:48:33 PM »

Hiya.

I'm 49yrs old & got sterilized in 1999.
I'm somewhere at the start I think as my periods for the past year have been starting earlier & earlier & my last one lasted 12 days.

Xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 05:04:37 PM »

My Mum had breast cancer but it was a different type to what I was treated for 10 years later.  Regardless, we need to consider Quality of Life against potential risks.  I would have pushed for HRT had I suffered symptoms despite my cancer being hormone linked.  My Oncologist mentioned 'no HRT' but time has moved on. 

I remember Mum sitting down suddenly and dropping off to sleep.  I remember crashing fatigue during my menstruating years.  Nothing would stop me falling asleep!

Browse round.  Make notes. 

Dierdre

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 07:07:08 PM »

Could you be anaemic, if you are having long heavy periods and more often. Perhaps you might need some iron supplements, the nurse at your surgery could do a simple blood test.

knorman

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 07:15:26 AM »

Morning So Tired

I was going to suggest the same as Dierdre and Annie0710 (hello Annie). CoQ10 is also a supplement that is supposed to help with energy levels. When time allows, try and rest for about 30 minutes, a full horizontal rest, no reading, no TV, just lay down and close your eyes. It will help to recharge your battery and keep your energy levels on a more even keel. I'd recommend a book by Dr Sarah Myhill, which is for people with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but it relates very well to menopausal women also. I hope you manage to find something that works for you.

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 10:17:43 AM »

Hello  So Tired and welcome to the forum.

It could be that your stored iron is low and this can cause fatigue even if your haemoglobin is okay it's therefore worth asking for serum ferritin to be included in a blood test for anaemia.

Hope this helps and wishing you well.

K.

AndieKC

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 09:59:11 PM »

Hi I am sorry to hear you're feeling unwell. I highly recommend a book called Grow Your Own HRT by Sally Duffell, well researched, great read, it all boils down to eating more sprouted seeds, beans etc, it's well explained why, and surprisingly easy to do. Also recommend doing a blood test, if you want to go privately a company called Medichecks does a variety of tests, the results and interpretation are very helpful and informative, and well worth approx £130 - I had the Wellwoman Vita test, the full works,
Hope it helps xx