Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Which menopause symptoms will pass?  (Read 14351 times)

Tempest

Re: Which menopause symptoms will pass?
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2018, 02:47:45 PM »

Lovely, thoughtful post Dancinggirl. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences! :) xxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2018, 04:29:03 PM »

:thankyou:  DG

We too have planned ahead.  We have a good Financial Advisor.  We enjoy stuff together and never feel the need for making conversation.  Both of us have so far experienced good health [apart from my 'nerves' which hold me back  :'(] whereas friends have either died, are currently failing or have needed replacement surgeries .......

Mum is up and at it in her Care Home  ::).  I think that moaning keeps her going  ;D

It is said that as we age we don't require as much sleep as we think that we should get .......... I remember one Granny would get up at 5.00 a.m. so that the housework was done B4 we had breakfast at 8.00 a.m., she spent the rest of the day either cooking or taking us for long walks etc..  I don't remember her ever sitting down to sleep or telling us that she felt tired.  She lived until she was mid-80s!  :)

CLKD

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2018, 03:12:24 PM »

So do you continue with HRT Stellajane and enjoy Life?  The body requires some level of all hormones after all. 

Wilks

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2018, 06:48:20 PM »

Thanks Stellajane,
It amazes me the vast difference in experience of the menopause among us all.

Hurdity

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2018, 06:53:44 PM »

As I've said before - I'm glad I haven't "sailed through" because it means I am taking oestrogen for longer and therefore giving my body protection for longer, against cardio-vascular disease and bone loss so hopefully warding off the onset of osteoporosis (which my mother has, has broken several bones and I want to avoid as far as possible 0 and she was on oestrogen until age 59....). Probably also delaying (hopefully permanently) potential diagnosis of fibromyalgia due to muscle aches, pains and fatigue after exercise (doc wanted to refer me....). Apols if I'm repeating myself - but then we do tend to don't we some of us?!  ::)

Hurdity x

Wilks

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2018, 07:16:21 PM »

Hi Hurdity,
I was wondering why some women sail through. Is it because their oestrogen doesn't hit rock bottom or that different women react differently to oestrogen?

Tempest

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2018, 08:40:10 PM »

This is so true, Stellajane! The ultimate case in point is a lady I know who has had ovarian cancer and now has breast cancer too. Debulking surgery 10 years ago, no HRT. Now on an aromatase inhibitor, so complete estrogen block. Currently holidaying with her hubby in Spain and getting out and about doing charity fundraising.

No meno. symptoms, slight aches and pains, but she thinks this is left over from chemo. She had a DEXA last year before starting the aromatase inhibitor, and her bone density was fine!  It really is so very, very strange how some are so sensitive, and others not.

I have come across quite a few women online who have the same scenario with literally zero estrogen too, and they too are doing ok.

If only we had the definite answer to this! 😮😮 xxxx

Wilks

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2018, 09:35:22 PM »

Annie0710- I'm interested in your lead weight thighs. I had that really badly last winter and now it's more intermittent. How was it for you?

Wilks

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2018, 09:37:56 PM »

Tempest- yes, that's very interesting. I had post-natal depression and awful PMS, so that suggests I must be sensitive to changes in hormone levels.

Tempest

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2018, 09:44:20 PM »

Wilks, you're right! I was reading a study on this just the other day, and this is called 'kindling'. The brain and nervous system are essentially sensitised from previous significant fluctuations in hormones in some individuals - the very events you talk of. I struggled through puberty and had mild post partum depression. So it stands to reason that I would find meno. difficult too. xxxx

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2018, 09:46:02 PM »

I remember my legs feeling heavy a few days B4 my period began.  I also had restless leg syndrome for years, then it went, bananas cured it for me.  That is, 1 a day for years until I couldn't face another  ::).

Whereas I had dreadful Pre-menstrual Syndrome in my mid-30s which caused awful nausea ....... NAPS advised eating every 3 hours even in the night and I try to keep to that regime, so far menopause hasn't been too bad apart from VA. 

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2018, 09:57:48 AM »

Stellajane - I was wondering exactly the same as I was typing here yesterday.  Would it be worth while asking for a blood test but that would be taking up time when I'm not ill, I am however curious as to why I am coping ........... I am so pleased 2B without bleeds, no more PMS, less nausea, less 'runs' .........

Daisydot

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2018, 08:52:39 PM »

If you have a conscience about taking up time CLKD maybe think of a blood test as a preventative step and go for it x

Tempest

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2018, 08:55:16 PM »

It really can vary, Stellajane. Pretty much the vast majority is produced via peripheral conversion in fat cells into estrone. Some studies suggest that the ovaries only produce estrogen for up to 6 years post menopause, and in very small amounts.

CLKD, the reason youre probably coping OK is because AD's can occupy some of the same receptors in the brain as estrogen - sneaky, huh? There was a study collated from research papers by a very learned member over at Hystersisters about this.

This is why women do get good relief very often who have estrogen receptive BC and are on aromatase inhibitors and take SSRI or more especially, SNRI medication. These drugs really do have a place for those in whom HRT is contraindicated. It should be noted however that there are clear warnings now on all pack leaflets of SSRI/SNRI drugs that they can over time affect bone density and lead to a higher risk of fractures. So this is something women need to take into consideration. xxxx

xxxx

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 08:57:36 PM by Tempest »

Daisydot

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2018, 09:20:03 PM »

Fab Post Tempest.wish I had your recall ability lol.xx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5