Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Use of menthol to reduce perceptions of temperature -Hot Flush  (Read 2789 times)

Kimbo1451

Hi all,

This is more a suggestion for those suffering with hot flushes/increased skin temperature. I have recently submitted a paper on reducing perceptions of pain/discomfort and temperature. Whilst my study was based on endurance exercise, the findings from as recent as 2017 made me question its relevance to the menopause.

Firstly, menthol beverages have been shown to reduce perceptions of temperature when taken before or during a race. This then enables an athlete to go for longer/increase effort without reaching their endurance limit before the end of the race.
What I found interesting was that on the human body, two key areas were identified as the most sensitive to pain/temperature. These were the forehead and the sternum/chest. This probably explains why midwives/nurses/Mother's would mop the brows of patients with a cold flannel to cool and calm.

My research also found that by applying a menthol gel to the forehead, it had a positive effect on reducing skin temperature. However menthol gel applied to the chest does the opposite. It actually traps the heat for various reasons.
The reasons I'm writing this is I'm in the process of trying out these methods for my own hot flashes.
For those that suffer in the night, maybe try a menthol mouth rinse or drink during the flash to see if this helps. I also have a pack of extra strong mints in my bag for when I'm out and about.
Worth a try?
Just to add, the exact solutions of menthol/water are a bit of trial and error, but I will have another look for some actual quantities to try.
Apologies for the long post, and sorry if this has already been suggested.
X
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:33:09 AM by Kimbo1451 »