Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: First period in years  (Read 2043 times)

aflear

First period in years
« on: May 28, 2018, 09:00:11 AM »

Hi all.
I'd been feeling rather grateful that the peri-menopausal time had passed me by smoothly.  I'd been bleed-free on the modern mini-pill Cerazette for over 8 years, had a break nearly 2 ago for a hormone check which showed I had rising menopause hormones.  I went back on the pill for a year. 
I had another break to check levels again and was given the all clear that I no longer needed contraception.  Weirdly coming off the pill that time gave me all sorts of symptoms - heaviness, sore boobs - that I'd not had for a very long time.
I've been fine off the pill - pleasantly surprised that I had the opposite of vaginal dryness.

After 8 months I've just had a bleed - normal heavy period type.
Any ideas what I should do?
Do I need to use contraception again?
Thank you for being there over a bank holiday weekend !!
Anna  ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: First period in years
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 09:31:38 AM »

Your GP could send you for a scan of the womb to see if it's 'within normal limits' for your symptoms.

Browse round.  Make notes.  Your symptoms are probably hormonal.  As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out as well as muscles may become lax, = aches and pains!

Dierdre

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 09:44:57 AM »

It sounds like you're not quite post menopause yet.  I went a year without periods and then had another, then 10 months and another so this is normal. Had a scan and biopsy and all was OK but it's best to get this checked out.

Cazikins

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 12:46:57 PM »

:welcomemm:

Hi Anna.
How old are you? This will help some of us to give you advice.

It you are post menopausal then you should get this checked out just to be on the safe side.

Cazikins x

dangermouse

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 02:23:28 PM »

As everyone says, have a check up but it's possibly because you've been on progesterone for so long that it's taken a long time for your cycle to resume and ovulation to reoccur.

The swollen breasts certainly indicate high oestrogen levels, whether ovulating or not.

It's strange that your GP made the assumption you no longer needed contraception when it's common knowledge it can take up to a year for cycles to resume after stopping the pill.

aflear

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 08:58:21 PM »

Thank you everyone
I'm nearly 54
I don't know what my FSH levels were - but was assured that they had risen sufficiently to be past the menopause.

dangermouse

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 09:06:29 PM »

FSH can also rise after stopping the pill so I would use contraception for now.

aflear

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 10:14:22 PM »

Thank you everyone
I have an appointment with my GP on Friday so I'll see if I can have a repeat FSH blood test then, and I'll make sure we use contraception until we get the results.
.....and note to self...remember to tell my other half many times over anything important - it's just come as a shock to him that I've not been taking the pill for the last 8 months.  Not sure what planet he's on but he really didn't hear me when I told him that I'd had a blood test which meant I had gone through the menopause.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 10:22:25 PM »

Perhaps print off 'notes for men' from here ?  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 10:28:01 PM »

Hi Anna - welcome from me too.

I had the FSH test which revealed that, according to the GP, I "would never have another period". I'd had six months without any periods but then went on to have regular ones again for another two years before starting HRT. These tests are not a reliable indicator of menopause in a lot of cases.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

aflear

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 08:55:51 PM »

I'm about to become a Grandma in the next couple of weeks so the thought of being a new parent is far too scary to even contemplate.  We both don't "get on" with condoms ;) so I might ask for Cerazette again for another year or so when I see the GP.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 10:05:33 PM »

:o  ;D. another menopause baby  :D

aflear

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 10:12:45 PM »

So.  Thanks to you lovely ladies I had my appointment with my GP - the father of the GP who told me I was postmenopausal.  This older doctor looked at the figures and agrees I'm peri-menopausal.  So I have a barrage of blood tests next week, and a prescription for Cerazette to start once I've had the blood test.  I'm also booked in for a uterine ultrasound.
And whilst I was there I mentioned a slight change in the skin on one boob - so that's going to be scanned too.
I think a very successful visit to the surgery.
Thank you one and all for your support

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 01:54:34 PM »

Let us know how you get on!

aflear

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 05:48:26 PM »

OMG!!  :o Most recent blood test shows that I'm most definitely NOT post menopausal.  Just extremely grateful that I'm not pregnant.   Back on Cerazette but been spotting constantly for the last 2 weeks - not like me at all but we'll see how that settles.  The ultrasound scan of my uterus shows cists in both ovaries - one slightly larger than the other so I'm being referred for a gynae appointment. 
Ah the joys of getting older  :D  Certainly prefer getting older to the alternative though!!!
No sign of grandchild yet.  Due date today