Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Losing your looks  (Read 25419 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Losing your looks
« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2018, 02:12:06 PM »

Do you think people are looking at you all the while  ;) and do you really bother about what others might think?

I no longer worry.  What you C is what you get  ;). The small dog that made a real fuss on of me earlier didn't seem to mind, the birds at my feet for meal worms right n ow, don't seem to mind ..........

Hurdity

« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2018, 07:36:58 PM »

Exercise is the best way to boost your metabolism  :)

.... and specifically increasing muscle - so any exercise which develops these eg Fitness Pilates, body conditioning, and  any weights, cycling (leg muscles), toning exercises etc. Same muscle mass vs fat burns more calories at rest and you look better too so win-win situation.

jillydoll, I have been struggling with the heat as I don't want to wear tops without sleeves (I think I also have extra loose skin from losing weight) and all my lovely summer dresses without sleeves.  However, I think I have reached the 'sod it' stage, I can't not ever wear a sleeveless top, or pretty dress when its warm because of what other people think.  I will just have to keep my arms firmly by my side, the outsides still look very toned, which is weird. Or rely on dangermouse's theory re: eyesight, good one!

That is classic the eyesight thing! I've been thinking the last few years how well I'm wearing - but on the few times I look in the mirror with my (reading) glasses on (properly - not counting peering in close to pluck lip hair) - I am horrified and wonder where all those wrinkles came from!!! Most of the time in between I forget about them and see this "youngish"  looking face  ::) so I am blissfully unaware of the old hag - and I don't care anyway!

As for the arms - quite - exactly - sod it! I think one always needs to make the best of oneself at any age - but you can't turn back the clock unless you want to go for artifice and cosmetic surgery - which is a sad reflection of society's obsession with youth = beauty. Each stage of ageing does seem to go through a period of denial, hatred of one's looks but then acceptance - once you've got over the first two - you can get on with enjoying yourself and feeling confident about yourself - until the next stage comes along. At the moment I'm in an acceptance stage - the recent (inner) arm thing took me by surprise though - but like you - I wear sleevelss/strappy tops all the time in the heat and love the sun - so think brown wrinkles are better than white ones  ::) Just keep doing the exercises and concentrate on looking and feeling healthy and fabulous, wrinkles and all!!!

Hurdity x :sunny:

rebel2

« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2018, 08:55:19 PM »

Bless him, my OH still sees the young girl he married 30 years ago - I just wish I could catch a glimpse of her occasionally!

We should start celebrating age a la Helen Mirren, refuse to give in to frumpy clothes and go in to Topshop loud and proud!

knorman

« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2018, 05:23:29 AM »

Words of wisdom as usual Hurdity. thank you!  Did anyone watch Nothing like a Dame with Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Eileen Atkins and Joan Plowright? They all looked wonderful, possibly primped professionally before they went on camera (!), but the main point is, they were warm, funny, witty and wise. Brilliant programme.

Daisydot

« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2018, 06:13:55 AM »

Who kicked you out the bed so early this morning knorman lol.forget about the saggy parts and focus on that rock solid heart you have.
All fantastic confident ladies you mention there but I'll bet you they moan about their saggy bits too lol.
Short sightedness is the only “ gift” that menopause gives us I reckon  ;D xx

tika

« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2018, 09:57:26 AM »

Judi Dench has had a cosmetic surgery as have many other older actresses and they look great, what on earth is wrong with wanting to look as good as they can in their Professions. If you look good you will feel good and it will come across to everyone.

http://scplasticsurgery.blogspot.com/2013/04/judi-dench-plastic-surgery-before-and.html

I am all for looking after your Looks its a healthy attitude to have however you choose to do it.

Hinari hot flush

« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2018, 06:21:48 PM »

Dont know about anyone else but the hot flushes is one reason i personally look on here.

Cant blame the celebs if i had the money the wrinkles would be ironed out, belly shrink and the boobs perked. Might even get my bum done ;)

Tempest

« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2018, 07:24:59 PM »

I'm growing my long henna'ed hair out at the moment. It is still very thick, even 3 years after my surgical meno. and virtually no HRT. It is almost white, but I've been greying since my 20's just like my Mum and Grandmother. I don't mind - there are some beautiful ladies out there with luscious long grey and white hair and I mean to take good care of and accent mine with the White Hot Hair products. Maybe the odd mermaid streak of colour for fun days....which I hope will come. 😊 xxxx

knorman

« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2018, 07:09:50 AM »

Noooo, I didn't know Judi Dench had had cosmetic surgery?! Gutted.  Daisydot, just one of those nights...again! I'm sure if we all slept well, we wouldn't have so many wrinkles! x

knorman

« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2018, 07:16:31 AM »

Tempest, your hair sounds beautiful.  I grew mine out about 4 years ago and the women that make me do a double take are the ones with the beautiful silver white hair.  We're fortunate that it seems to have become quite fashionable the last few years to have hair this colour, so we've chosen a good time to do it.  So many young girls who have coloured their hair silver/grey recently and they look lovely. However, part of me thinks, you have time for that later, just enjoy your natural hair colour whilst you still have it! I've always wanted blue hair, but never been brave enough, maybe I'll try the mermaid streaks!

Daisydot

« Reply #115 on: June 12, 2018, 07:59:08 AM »

Morning knorman good to see you posting hope your well missed you.Im one of theses “ young girls” who refuse the white look I'm afraid lol.Im so vain I'll never grow old gracefully my hair my eyes and my figure used to be my world,shallow I know lol,now I look like I should be an extra in teletubbies with scabby looking eyes with no bloody eyelashes,the only saving grace I have left is my hair and thankfully I have the skills to preserve that for as long as I can,I need that it's what keeps me feeling feminine.Ill bet you ladies all look beautiful with your white hair so enjoy it if that's what makes you happy,me I'll resort to that bleach bottle for as long as I can lol.xx

geminizb

« Reply #116 on: June 12, 2018, 10:34:53 AM »

This last year has brought some real changes for me - I've also lightened my hair for the first time as I'm 95% white and I've been dying it almost black for 20 odd years  ;D I'm too scared to go completely white just yet so I'm staying a dark ash blonde for now.

I had my face dermaplaned last week and that has worked wonders for my complexion. I'm using lots of products with hyaluronic acid in - it helps the skin hold onto moisture and plumps it.

I really need to get fitter but with a full time job and two young kiddies I have no time to go to the gym or anything.
I need a treadmill so i can exercise when the kids are in bed as I can't go out !!

But first I need some energy  ::)

Daisydot

« Reply #117 on: June 12, 2018, 11:49:48 AM »

You need rest geminizb with two youngsters you'll be a lot fitter than you give yourself credit for lol.you do what makes you happy with your hair situation it's up to each individual. You can hire treadmills you know have a google xx

Conolly

« Reply #118 on: June 14, 2018, 08:57:43 PM »

I've been wondering what could be worse than that and I came up with a lot of scary possibilities.
Better lose your looks than your hope, your sanity, your friends, your compassion, your genetic cell control mechanisms, ie cancer, your joie-de-vivre, your ability to jump through the looking glass instead of keeping looking at it.
Great thread.

Conolly X

Wilks

« Reply #119 on: June 14, 2018, 09:00:37 PM »

I agree Connolly!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10