Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Stress related bleeding?  (Read 924 times)

Foggers

Stress related bleeding?
« on: May 22, 2018, 11:29:00 PM »

Hello, I am 56, doing the menopausal transition with no HRT, just natural supports like diet and exercise. I have this peculiar pattern that I wanted to check out with other women. I go weeks, months with no period or PMT symptoms. Then I seem to randomly get classic PMT ( sore boobs, bloat, ratty mood) and then I usually get a light bleed for a couple of days, almost like the ghost of a period. However, once in a while it becomes a humdinger of a period with cramps and flooding. Having kept track for a while, and these bad ones do seem to coincide with episodes of notable stress. I don't mean ordinary hassle, but significant stuff ( e.g.currently dealing with huge project deadline st work, caring for disabled partner who has had a temporary downturn, a sister in hospital and some financial/property issues....and yes my undercarriage is like the Somme at the moment). Does anyone else experience this? Or have insights into whether my hunch about stress as a trigger is correct? GP has been ineffective but doesn't think it's anything sinister.

Machair

Re: Stress related bleeding?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 10:18:23 AM »

How long have you noticed this pattern? It may be that you are just late in starting the menopause journey. I am in the same boat as you, although only have light bleeds following PMT now, and mine are very scanty. I am now 58 but was fairly regular until my mid fifties. I am not on HRT so it is lovely to meet you here as sometimes finding kindred spirits is difficult.

Dancinggirl

Re: Stress related bleeding?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 11:48:32 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM foggers
You are describing very normal peri menopause symptoms.
Here is an article that explains what is going on:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/pdf/Article%20-%20Perils%20of%20the%20Perimenopause.pdf

Do have a read and get back to us with questions.  Reducing stress during and after menopause is vital - consider learning some relaxation techniques e.g. Mindfulness.  It's important to learn to say NO as well - don't take on too much.  You have to look after yourself or you won't be any use for those around you.

HRT is worth considering - it's not a weakness to use it and it can restore quality of life which is terribly important.  Erratic and heavy bleeding can be life sapping adn stressful , so a Mirena could be a good option and then add in a bit of oestrogen to help balance things. 5 years of HRT in our 50s will protect the heart and bones for the long term.  Nobody can tell you when or even if the menopause symptoms will settle.  DG x