Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mefenamic Acid  (Read 3996 times)

Gingernoggin

Re: Mefenamic Acid
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 09:54:06 AM »

Hi Charys,

I used to take Mefanamic acid for pre-menstrual cramps and period pain in my mid forties. My periods weren't particularly heavy at that point but I used to get bad cramps. It was good for that. I did get a bit of stomach grumbling and loose bowels with it sometimes but otherwise no annoying side effects. It was a good pain killer.

I've also used Tranxemic acid for periods that were heavier but not particularly painful in my late forties. It basically just slows down the blood flow.

Both were good medications for me. I understand what you mean about not liking to take medications, I'm exactly the same but there were times when I needed to take something to get on with my life. To me, those medications are just like taking ibuprofen. The only thing I would add is that you need to take each medication regularly over a few days. I kept trying to take as few as possible but they work better if you treat them like antibiotics (i.e. take the same amount over a few days when the pain is worst) so the the pain killing/blood thinning aspects can reach a constant level.

I'm now 50, nearly 51 and have just started Femoston 1/10 having sworn I wouldn't touch HRT  :D The heavy bleeding and just generally feeling sh*te got too much so I've decided to give it a go. I've still got a lot of living left to do  :)

Hope this eases your mind a little xxx
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:56:24 AM by Gingernoggin »

Charys

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 12:04:47 PM »

Thanks for your reply Gingernoggin, I appreciate you taking the time. Thanks for your advice about taking the same time each day too. I also wish you a lot of success with Femoston!

I have no menstural cramps or pain, just the heavy bleeding, so did the mefenamic slow down the flow as well for you (even though you said that at the time you took them for cramps) ?

Gingernoggin

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 09:09:14 PM »

I think they killed the pain more than anything. My periods weren't that heavy at that point. I'd try the Tranxemic acid if it's flow not pain you're most concerned about.

Xx
Pages: 1 [2]