Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Prempack c stopped and life’s become unbearable - new member seeking advice  (Read 3681 times)

Southselly1

Hello ladies

I went through early menopause at around 36/37 and I was referred to my endocrine consultant as I was all over the place with my thyroid too, at the time.

She prescribed Prempack C and after a tweak to higher dose a few months later: I got in with dealing with the shock of it all.

Now prempack c was so suited to me I actually forgot I was going through this whole thing.

Then life threw me a curveball and prempack c was discontinued (so I was told) and I was given another well known brand which was thrown out, within a month and I sat crying for virtually a month !

I now take Femoston (higher dose) and I spend 2 weeks ok ish and then around 2 weeks in despair.

It's clear that the pink tablets (progesterone) keep me afloat and when I dont have them I just nosedive.

I'm desperate for prempack c.... where can I get this from as online Lloyds pharmacy say they stock it! Can I ask my GP to source this?

My GP is fabulous and she has shared she isn't an expert on menopause and there are no other GPS in my surgery who are. However she does state if I get advice or research what I want to try she will support me, as far as she can as my GP

Advise welcome

Rosie63

Hi Southselly and welcome to MM.

I was on Prempak C for 12/13 years and it dealt with my meno symptoms really well with hardly any side effects.  I was gutted when they discontinued it and I've tried various ways of sourcing some, including Lloyd's Pharmacy and other online pharmacies.  I've also tried getting it in Spain but have had no luck. Although Lloyd's say they are in stock, when I sent my prescription off, I received an email saying they are no longer available. Sorry to be so negative on the Prempak front but I think they really are no longer available at the moment.

However, on a more positive note, I have found a couple of Hrt preparations that help with my meno symptoms so I'm hopeful you will find something else that suits you.  It does take time for things to settle on a new regime but it does get there eventuall

Rosie63

Whoops ! as I was saying....it does get there eventually. The problem I have is that the estrogens are affecting my stomach which I never experienced when I was on Prempak C so my journey continues to find something that helps with my meno symptoms without the side effects.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Rosie63 x

Dancinggirl

Hi and welcome to MM Southsellly1

You have lots of HRT options and if you feel better when taking progesterone then you could possibly have a continuous HRT if you are now post menopause.  Most HRTs now have bio identical oestrogen which is deemed better than the oestrogen in the old fashioned HRTs like Prempak C.  You may do better with either Utrogestan (micronised progesterone) or Provera (Medroxyprogesterone) so look under TREATMENTS on this site to see your options.  Print this info out and pop to your GP to discuss. It's going to be trial and error I'm afraid.
You may find you would do well with a Mirena fitted as this would give you the low continuous dose of progesterone that could make you feel better - once the Mirena is in place you simply add in oestrogen as gel or patch!  DG x

NinaH

Hi you could take premarin 1.25 as the oestrogen which is the same as the oestrogen in Prempack.

Then you could take a separate progesterone - utrogestan, provera or norithsterine (sp 😀)

Southselly1

Thank you all for replying

I have spent some time this last weekend researching other treatments and I'm armed with a whole new set of options

GP visit booked first thing this Friday

Let's see if my perceived GP is ‘with me' on my journey.

??? ???

cazjen44

Hi, I too am devastated that prempak c no longer available  :'( I had ovaries removed at age 31, I'm now 47 and had been on prempak c and happy on it for years.  Since beginning of this year I've been in a mess trying to find alternative.  I've been really poorly.  GP was useless and kept prescribing continuous one and it was making me ill.  I was referred to a gynaecologist and have been on cyclo progynova 2mg since April.  Currently on 2nd pack.  It's helped with fatigue and night sweats but I struggling on a daily basis with spinning/dizziness.  Gynaecologist and an ENT doctor have both said it's a chemical imbalance and anxiety over all the messing around with hrt and it will settle in time but I just don't believe them  :'( I can't cope without hrt but also can't cope with this dizziness which is only in certain positions!  I really really wish prempak c was still being manufactured!  I too was so happy on it!

dangermouse

It's interesting how many women feel better on the horse urine oestrogen compared to the bio-identical. I also found (for the little time I tried it), that I felt better on the ethinyl estrogen from the combined pill than the bio one. I also tried the Zoely pill which has the bio oestrogen in and I felt awful!

I wonder why?

tika

dangermouse

I think the majority of women using the bio oestrogen get it bulk made as Oestrogel etc. rather than compounded (I do that for my progesterone as we only have one strong option of Ultrogestan otherwise) but maybe it's to do with it being plant based, where Premarin etc were animal protein based?

tika

Animal, vegetable or mineral, if it suits you it suits you!

Any health provider NHS or otherwise, should be sensitive to this.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Have you contacted the Manufacturer about the product and where it might be sourced?

Hurdity

cazjen44

Sorry to hear about your issues with Prempak C being withdrawn and your struggles to find another type. As Mamachunk says - you can still take this one if you really want to but with separate progestogen. If you look under the Treatments tab on the menu you will see the different HRT types - look for oestrogen and progesterone separately. I can appreciate the difficulties for women who have been taking these for years and have now to suffer consequences of changing to a different type. I think some women have done well on them because as I understand, they are stronger than estradiol - and perhaps the current fixed preparations can't be matched exactly in terms of dose. You can take oestrogen only tablets. I would never recommennd Cycloprogynova because it has the 7 tablet free days so you will having a massive dip in oestrogen during this time as well as progesterone withdrawal symptoms so pms +++

tika - it's not a question of whether it suits you - as more research becomes available and long term studies into risks etc then products may be withdrawn.

The horse urine oestrogen ( the PRE- types) are now very old fashioned and from what I gather are associated with more of adverse health risks than the body-identical (= bio-identical) estradiol. We're not talking about compounding here - just the actual molecules/compounds used. It does really make sense that if we are replacing hormones then we should replace with one that is closest or identcial to what is made in our bodies.

Emerald2017

Hi dangermouse, I guess that you feel better on ethinyl estrogen than estradiol cause it is stronger.
At young ages we need stronger estrogen and that's why we feel better on bcp with stronger estrogen than hrt.
 Bcps are recommended sometimes for POF sufferers.
 The problem is that estradiol is considered safer for long term use and better for bone density than bcp.

dangermouse

I had a more extreme reaction to the estradiol, it seemed more potent or misfitting to my receptors rather than a weakness.

Sorry, I wasn't moving from the pill to it, I just meant the combined never made me feel odd like the natural estradiol but I'm sure it's not comparable to the horse proteins so I shouldn't have mentioned that bit!

I guess if it's dangerous though then best avoided - although I suppose the pill is too in terms of cancer risk.
Pages: [1] 2