Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Regular meds as you get older.  (Read 11309 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Regular meds as you get older.
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2018, 08:29:32 PM »

Bugga ........ spoke too soon  ;D.  Sciatica required 2 Nurofen  :-\

gracerobyn

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2018, 09:54:17 AM »

nice ... good one

CLKD

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2018, 10:08:41 PM »

:-\

wombat62

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2018, 11:04:22 PM »

A couple of years ago when I had my gallbladder issues the gastro guy was surprised that I wasn't on any regular meds! Really???, I was in my early-mid 50's then! 

I agree with DG on a few posts back, if only they could find something else as an alternative to progesterone then sooooo many ladies would benefit from an oestrogen supplement. We take all our vitamins etc quite happily but so many ladies are put off from the benefits of hrt because of the cancer risk. 

I was told to take COQ10 as hrt can deplete this as well.

I had a cholesterol spike when my flushes were at their worst, I was convinced it was connected but my doc dismissed it.  I managed to bring it down again naturally and went on to the hrt (so maybe that helped?) as no way did I want to go on statins!

CLKD

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2018, 11:21:36 AM »

well done wombat62!

dangermouse

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2018, 10:59:02 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5719731/Doctor-says-doling-pills-explain-fall-life-expectancy.html

The payments part is in the last part of the article. I always thought the NHS GPs were taking a financial hit compared to private GPs but, no, their pay was doubled and the public were never told.

Shadyglade

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2018, 11:21:47 AM »

Absolutely spot on.  This article really exposes the truth of the situation of how a social policy, supposedly created for our benefit, is actually doing us harm.

I ignored the request to have a full health check, when I was 60, for the very reasons given in the article. If I'm ill I will see the doctor. Otherwise, leave me alone,, I don't want your pills until they are really need.

Shadyglade

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2019, 09:44:59 AM »

I'm bumping this tread because I have just found and interesting book, on a similar topic.

It is:-  Too Many Pills by James Le fanu.

And is about:- How too much medicine is endangering our health and what we can do about it.

For those who are interested.

Apparently the rot set in in 2004 when GP contracts were change and they became 'performance led' .  That meant they get paid for reductions in average levels in their patients of such things as Blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar etc.,

The upshot is that prescriptions have increased 3 fold in the last 15 years.  Interestingly prescriptions for antibiotics have remain about the same, despite the worry of over prescribing. 

JaneinPen

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2019, 12:29:08 PM »

I only take 600mg ibruprofen at breakfast to get my back in gear and other than that unless I have a real flare up I don't take any extra. I use a lidocaine patch on my neck when it is really sore. My friend went to our GP surgery last week for test results on cholesterol etc. All were clear and in the good range but he wanted her to take statins because she is in her seventies. She politely declined

Shadyglade

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2019, 12:37:43 PM »

Yes it's the new idea of medicating the whole population, to bring down average levels, rather than treat the patient as an individual.

My sisters GP told her that her high, untreated, cholesterol level was messing up the surgery's statistics. In other words it was costing them money.  >:(

Hurdity

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2019, 08:03:21 PM »

Depends what cholesterol measurment they are using for their stats. As discussed elsewhere - total Ch on its own is not what matters - but HDL and LDL should also be measured and the ratio of Total to HDL is the important one so I understand.

Also if they use that alone as a criterion re their stats that's absurd because eg despite high Ch ( but OK ratio) statins are not suggested to me because they do the Q risk thingy and that determines whether or not you should be offered them anyway (according to NICE).

Anyone who wants to lower their stroke risk and has high Ch can change this through losing weight, better diet, more exercise etc and anything that can reduce blood pressure - even so some have genetic pre-disposition to high CH which doesn't necessarily increase risk of stroke for everyone so I gather ( from my doc).

I agree about the unnecessary meds - I don't take any other than normal painkillers (sparingly) if I can possibly help it (the occasional migraine pill) - but of course HRT if bio-identical is not counted as a med as such - not in my book anyway! However I am so far blessed with good health (and take steps to stay that way) so some don;t have the luxury of avoding certain meds - but we should all be informed and resist attempts to force us onto meds against our will.

No idea if I've already responded on this thread in the past  ::) . Apols if I have and already said all of that!!!

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2019, 07:55:19 PM »

:-\ why not read it Hurdity  :-\

I love James, he talks a lot of sense in the Monday Telegraphy  :-* and raised awareness of the problems that omiprazole can cause ;-).

Shadyglade

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2019, 11:11:21 PM »

The book is more about the over treatment of high blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar. These are the conditions for which polypharmacy can cause iatrogenic harm.

It's not an anti medication book but anti over medication. The author is a UK doctor.

CLKD

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2019, 09:15:05 AM »

He's very good  ;)

I have to take my ADs etc. otherwise I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning and after 5 days would be dragging myself to the edge of a cliff. I never want to feel that ill again.  When poorly I take Nurofen as Paracetamol does nowt for me.  Sciatica or headaches usually.

Statins I accepted as it was easier  :-\ and our GP did a good explanation.  My lasted associated blood tests showed that my blood sugars are low, plus other conditions that I wasn't aware were checked R fine too.  That's it, repeat prescription for another 12 months.

When our GP arrived in the village I told him to never tell me that I had 'what was going round' - if I turned up at Surgery then I was ill  ;)

Katejo

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2019, 04:24:14 PM »

My only long term ones are those which I have been taking since a baby (genetic hypothyroidism) and epilepsy medication since I was about 14. I may get to drop the epilepsy medication eventually. It is being gradually reduced. I had surgery for the condition many years back. Vagifem has just been added but I don't count that as it is a replacement. My cholesterol is a bit high but all the other factors combined with it are ok.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4