Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Estradiol  (Read 1320 times)

Ramona

Estradiol
« on: April 23, 2018, 02:40:29 PM »

Hello everyone
I am in some confusion about what to do. I was on Elleste for 2 months but had yo stop. The oestrogen was great but the 9 days a month of progesterone were terrifying and I ended up off work sick with panic attacks.
GP the prescribed me a split hrt but with lower dose of progesterone. I cannot remember the name but couldn't get it...no chemist had it or could order it.

So I am now on the combined Estradiol 1mg. No panics but I have horrendous water retention. I am mid a period and still swollen and sore. I am perimenopausal so also a tad concerned about being on this drug now.

I am 46 and been having symptoms for 3 years. GP recommends HRT due to my age starting. I have taken the estradiol for about 2 weeks so far.

I am in such discomfort though with the swelling. I preferred the split pill but was let down by sensitivity to progest. Does anyone have any advice?

Sorry for boring on about this. I really don't know what is for the best

With huge thanks

Ramona

Mary G

Re: Estradiol
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 07:49:06 PM »

Ramona, you say you are taking a continuous combined form of HRT, what type of progesterone does it contain? 

You might be better with Oestrogel (you rub it on your skin) if you are taking oral HRT.  You would need a separate progesterone but if you are severely progesterone intolerant like me, you can take a low dose and have regular scans.   

Ramona

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 08:34:56 AM »

Thank you Mary.
I hadn't realised about the gels. Am new to all this and so confused.
The progesterone I am on is norethisterone 5000mcg.
How nuch and what type do you take?
Thanks again Mary

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 05:07:32 PM »

Hi Ramona - I'm not clear what HRT you are on - can you let us know the brand name? Is it cyclical ( two different types of pills and designed to give a withdrawal bleed), or continuous combined (the same pills every day - designed for post-menopausal women and eventually to stop all bleeding)? You say you had symptoms for three years before starting but what was your cycle doing during this time - had you missed many periods? Maybe on POP or Mirena coil?

Estradiol isn't a drug as such - you are replacing hormones which have become deficient especially once you ovulate infrequently. However as Mary G says - transdermal HRT might be preferable for you as the side effects are usually less. Besides the gel she mentions there are oestrogen patches which can be used on their own with separate progesterone, or combi patches which you just stick on. You might be OK with the same progestogen as Elleste, but transdermally (Evorel sequi) or there is another one Femseven sequi you could try - and also the Mirena coil for the progestogen. If you wanted a different progestogen there is Provera or progesterone (Utrogestan) to be used with oestrogen patches or gel. All the different HRT preparations are listed under Treatments tab on the main website which you should be able to find on the menu.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 07:06:48 PM »

Ramona, I use 100mg Utrogestan vaginal capsules every 5-6 weeks for the progesterone part of HRT.  I am severely progesterone intolerant and on a low dose but it works well.  Norethisterone is a strong progesterone and a lot of women don't get on with it so you might want to consider vaginal Utrogestan because it has fewer side effects. 

Ramona

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 06:06:56 PM »

Hello Mary and Hurdity

Thank you SO much! I had no idea that these non pill options are available. I have only been offered pills.

As for those my pills are continual which is worrying me. Prior to hrt my periods were sometimes regular other times i could go 2 or 3 months without one. They had not stopped though. They were more often on than off.

The drug is kliovance 1mg/ 0.5 mg Estradiol hemihydrate /norethisterone acetate. The soreness and water retention is v bad.

Thank you again for your support. I will go to gp armed with suggestions