Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Graveyard mystery  (Read 1603 times)

Pennyfarthing

Graveyard mystery
« on: December 22, 2019, 05:11:04 PM »

my Dad has been dead 12 years.  I have always cleaned his headstone, put flowers or plants on and stripped down and retreated his memorial bench every summer which is beside his grave.  in all those years only my niece has ever put flowers on his grave aside from me and Mum.

In October a small arrangement appeared on it and I checked with the rest of the family and none of them put it on. I was gobsmacked as never, ever has anything been left there.  I left it where it was and at beginning of Dec I bought a special artificial Xmas arrangement made to fit the “hole” on top of the grave.  I figured a good frost would kill fresh flowers or plants and every other year I have put a wreath on.  The “mystery”  arrangement was past its best so I removed it. 

Today Hubby and I went and my special arrangement has gone and is replaced with a small plant of some sort.  I am cross and upset.  I suspect it is my brother and his crazy wife but heaven knows why after 12 years they have started visiting the grave.  They only live about 4 miles away.

Regulars may remember that they stole lots of items and money from Mum's house when she had to go into care and we have never spoken since.  They have not visited poor Mum for over 3 years and don't send her birthday or xmas cards etc. 

My other brother is convinced it's them too and says I should not do anything (I was going to put a notice on the grave) as he reckons they will get their comeuppance. I felt inclined to remove their plant too but my hubby said I will just drag myself down to their level if I do that but I am cross that they removed my arrangement which would have lasted all winter.  It came from a garden centre and we spent ages choosing it. 

What do you ladies think? 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Graveyard mystery
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 05:21:53 PM »

:hug:  I would report it to the Parish Council or who ever is responsible for the Graveyard.  At the worst this is theft as well as interference!  Have a word after C.mas with the local Vicar maybe or an undertakers who will have some idea of who runs the place. It may say on the Facebook page for that village ..........

In the New Year put a plant on - maybe something artificial ;-) and see if it disappears  ;).  You could also put 'treated with Smart Water' on a label as this won't wash off.  It is un-seen on items or the skin unless ultra violet [I think] light is shown on the area. 

I would be spitting bricks  :o.   

littleminnie

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 06:27:20 PM »

How strange.  It's one of those instances you wish there was cctv and you could see who it was.
If it was me, I would leave the plant there and add yours and see what happens. 

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 07:14:36 PM »

I think I'd be inclined to leave it too. If he hasn't attended to it for 12 years there's a good chance he'll get tired of it. Moving his plant might lead to never ending tit for tat. Are you allowed to plant bulbs for a nice display in spring or do you only have use of the hole? I don't think there's any point in reporting it, it may not feel like it but he has as much right as anyone else to put flowers there. And there's karma, sooner or later he'll get what he deserves.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 08:24:40 PM »

It is theft .  If someone's decoration is removed - if it is left and another added, that is totally different. 

ElkWarning

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 08:53:07 PM »

I think what you've done for your Dad over the years is a beautiful thing and what's happened recently must feel very much like vandalism.  It would be very upsetting.

What do you think your Dad would say about the situation?

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 10:32:44 PM »

I think what you've done for your Dad over the years is a beautiful thing and what's happened recently must feel very much like vandalism.  It would be very upsetting.

What do you think your Dad would say about the situation?

That's exactly what my husband said Elk!  he would be turning in his grave if he knew what had gone on since he died. it's all very sad. 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 10:38:55 PM »

It is theft .  If someone's decoration is removed - if it is left and another added, that is totally different.

that's just how I feel. I paid £10 for it thinking it would remain looking nice for the Xmas/new year period.  I would not have minded if they added a plant but to steal mine is not on.  I checked and double checked when I put it in the container and it was firmly wedged in so they would have had a job to get it out and replace it with theirs.

I am also really annoyed that its 12 years and they have never visited the grave.  Plus they can find time now to go there but they can't go and see poor old Mum who is still alive! 

Two hoots

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 09:00:33 AM »

Did you check it hadn't been placed on a different grave ? I know someone who had their arrangement removed and a small bouquet left in its place  >:(

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 04:50:37 PM »

Did you check it hadn't been placed on a different grave ? I know someone who had their arrangement removed and a small bouquet left in its place  >:(

yes, Twohoots we checked every grave in that area of the churchyard.  Some of them are very ancient and never have flowers on them.  We also checked over the church wall and in two rubbish bins. nothing! I have been in touch with the church office  today and the woman was a bit vague but said it wouldn't be either of the gardeners because they don't strim in the winter. 

If it happens again we are planning to install a tiny CCTV camera hidden close to the grave but concealed.