Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Latest research on statins  (Read 4961 times)

Shadyglade

Latest research on statins
« on: April 09, 2018, 03:54:14 PM »

Hi,

Thought I would give you the latest update from my favourite Doc (Malcolm Kendrick) regarding statins.  Should be of interest to all who take them, or might be offered them in the future.  I say offered but all too often these days patients seem to be told with a wagging finger. Not on at all, but there you go :(

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2018/04/09/statins-and-amyotrophic-lateral-sclerosis/#comments

I hope you find it useful.

Shadyglade

Dancinggirl

Re: Latest research on statins
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 05:48:51 PM »

Very interesting. Surely people should simply be told to change their diet? So much safer than taking any drugs.
After my experience with PPIs I won't be using those again - i developed diverticulitis - poorly digested food resulting in opening my bowels 3-4 times a day - had awful lower abdominal pain, passing blood and had to have a colonoscopy. I've been left with IBS and a restricted diet. You can buy PPIs from a supermarket shelf !!
DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 06:03:25 PM »

Well we tried both.  I went for a blood test which showed low VitD levels as well as high cholesterol.  Apparently the NICE guidelines have changed.  The GP I saw insisted on statins for me, DH tried the diet route for 3 months ....... but his levels are better but our GP advised that he take them.  Because the medical profession know that statins prevent strokes and how much money and heartache that strokes cause .....

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 06:06:09 PM »

A couple of weeks ago I was sent the following paper that was published in the Journal Drug Safety. ‘Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Associated with Statin Use A Disproportionality Analysis of the FDA's Adverse Event Reporting System.'2

I can't find a date for this nor who sponsored the research.  Dates are all important in statements such as this.  Something to bear in mind, that statin medication may cause other problems.  Damned if I do ..........

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 06:39:27 PM »

Hi,

Thought I would give you the latest update from my favourite Doc (Malcolm Kendrick) regarding statins.  Should be of interest to all who take them, or might be offered them in the future.  I say offered but all too often these days patients seem to be told with a wagging finger. Not on at all, but there you go :(

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2018/04/09/statins-and-amyotrophic-lateral-sclerosis/#comments

I hope you find it useful.

A GP dropped hints to me last week even though my high cholesterol had dropped slightly since the previous test. I am determined not to take them because of known side effects.
On a separate note, have they given up asking patients to fast before such a test? I had blood tests for something else last week and the form definitely said 'No fasting' but they got a cholesterol result as well from it.

Shadyglade

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 06:40:24 PM »

We discussed the fasting prior to the blood tests but it isn't necessary for this particular test.  It made sense at the time but I can't remember the reasons ......

Artmouse

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 09:50:37 PM »

Very interesting. Surely people should simply be told to change their diet? So much safer than taking any drugs.
After my experience with PPIs I won't be using those again - i developed diverticulitis - poorly digested food resulting in opening my bowels 3-4 times a day - had awful lower abdominal pain, passing blood and had to have a colonoscopy. I've been left with IBS and a restricted diet. You can buy PPIs from a supermarket shelf !!
DG x

Would you have any tips on how to get off PPI's?  Even reducing slightly gives me acid reflux.  I'd like to get off them but it seems impossible...

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 06:27:06 AM »

I don't think here is any ‘one way' to get off these PPIs.
I believe some switch to Zantac(ranitidine) which act in a different way to control acid and is easier to come off but in my experience it's about changing the diet and the way you eat -  not just in the short term but permanently.
If you think what causes heartburn in the first place, then you need to avoid these causes. SO try small meals regularly (don't go too long between meals) only one course that is as nutritious as possible but reduce fat and sugar content and try a half portion of what you might usually eat. Eat slowly. Avoid the onion family and things that are difficult digest. Drink lots of water but avoid caffiene, fruit juices and alcohol. I take digestive enzymes which seem to help and take either Pepto Bismol or Gaviscon before bed to stop reflux.
It's a good way to keep weight under control and eating out isn't easy, as portions tend to be far too big, but if I strict with when, two and what I eat then I usually fine. Bananas can be good to calm stomach acid as well so I have one between meals once a day.
It's not easy - if I relax and eat too much or treat my self to a nice big piece of cake then I'm in trouble!!   DG x
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:55:46 AM by Dancinggirl »

Shadyglade

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 08:50:26 AM »

CLKD Here is the research you were asking about.  (The link is at the bottom of the docs article)

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs40264-017-0620-4

Also if you want to know more about why statins are prescribed check out this video from the website.

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/statin-nation-the-documentary/

Also, remember that as many doctors are not clued up about the meno so are many not clued up about statins and cholesterol.  I have had high cholesterol for about 20 years but have never been offered statins by my surgery.  My sister is the same but has been under pressure to take them.  Her doctors latest argument is that  her tests results are messing up the surgeries statistics.  Nice one  ::)

Artmouse

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 12:10:44 PM »

I don't think here is any ‘one way' to get off these PPIs.
I believe some switch to Zantac(ranitidine) which act in a different way to control acid and is easier to come off but in my experience it's about changing the diet and the way you eat -  not just in the short term but permanently.
If you think what causes heartburn in the first place, then you need to avoid these causes. SO try small meals regularly (don't go too long between meals) only one course that is as nutritious as possible but reduce fat and sugar content and try a half portion of what you might usually eat. Eat slowly. Avoid the onion family and things that are difficult digest. Drink lots of water but avoid caffiene, fruit juices and alcohol. I take digestive enzymes which seem to help and take either Pepto Bismol or Gaviscon before bed to stop reflux.
It's a good way to keep weight under control and eating out isn't easy, as portions tend to be far too big, but if I strict with when, two and what I eat then I usually fine. Bananas can be good to calm stomach acid as well so I have one between meals once a day.
It's not easy - if I relax and eat too much or treat my self to a nice big piece of cake then I'm in trouble!!   DG x

Thank you for this, very useful, this would be fairly big change for me.  I'm not on a high does, 20mg Omeprazole a day, but don't believe the doctor when she says they are 'benign'. 

jaycee

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 06:58:13 PM »

Drs seem to push statins on everyone these days,my cholesterol is not  high, and Dr i saw when mine was away prescribed them for me,my local pharmacist said she would never take statins, so i stopped and still cholesterol is fine, only about1 point above recommended level
My sister has suffered terribly with joint paions and back pain since taking them, but she darent stop as she has very high cholesterol and very high blood pressure, shes on 2 different blood pressure tablets
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 07:22:00 PM by jaycee »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 07:05:38 PM »

Show your sister this film - if she changes her diet she could be much better and not need the drugs. DG x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 10:31:15 PM »

Thank you so much shady glade. 

NICE Guidelines have altered in the last 12 months regarding the % of how much cholesterol is seen to be dangerous.  Our GP is fortunately very clued up! 

The side effect I had was intermittent intense muscular pains for about 3-5 days in the first week, all gone except one in the left arm muscle which nips if I move in certain directions.  Otherwise my levels have come down well.

As for PPIs - they should only be prescribed for short-term use.  I find that Rennies work well for me, I have background acid reflux often so chew 1 immediately, either immediately prior to or after my meal.  Milk of Magnesia liquid used to work too.

Shadyglade

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 08:08:28 AM »

NICE Guidelines have altered in the last 12 months regarding the % of how much cholesterol is seen to be dangerous.  Our GP is fortunately very clued up! 

I note you and your GPs faith in NICE guideline, can't say a concur though.

Glad you seem to be 'side effect free' all the same.  However I hope your doc gave you advice on Q10 supplements. Statins are known to badly deplete Q10 so supplements are required.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3096178/

Shadyglade
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 08:38:54 AM by Shadyglade »

Winterose

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 12:17:54 PM »

From what I understand statins only help men who have had an “event” and even that help may be skewed by fact they tend to follow a healthier life style after heart attacks etc. Over 10 years it only buys them at best another 4 days .Statistics can be read in many ways .  Better to adjust diet , slim down and take more exercise and remember there is no magic number for cholesterol on an individual basis .
Pages: [1] 2