Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: got a UTI brewing despite using vagifem, any advice  (Read 31434 times)

sidse

Re: got a UTI brewing despite using vagifem, any advice
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2018, 08:57:52 AM »

My symptoms do not seem to be passing despite drinking, cymalon and doing all the personal hygiene stuff. I am worried that it will get worse over the weekend. Should I try taking another course of cymalon?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2018, 09:08:59 AM »

sidse - what symptoms are you getting?  Do you feel you need to pee all the time?  Do you have burning urethra? Do you have lower abdominal pain?
 I think you need to see the GP today or at least ask for a telephone consultation for advice as you don't want things to flare up over the weekend. If the dip stick only shows blood then it's likely to be atrophy related I think and if so you have simply got to keep using the Vagifem and moisturisers and Multi Gyn until things settle - this can take some weeks!!!
If you run a temperature and have abdominal pain then you probably need ABs a.s.a.p. The problems is that UTI symptoms are the same as interstitial cystitis and urogenital atrophy and without proper tests for infection it's difficult to know what is needed and often ABs are given in the mean time 'just in case' or infection could travel to the kidneys.
Seek professional advice.  DG x

sidse

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2018, 09:24:00 AM »

Hi Dancinggirl,
I don't feel the need to pee all the time and don't have a burning sensation all the time. When I do go for a pee, it is slow to come and the flow is not right. The rest of the time, I feel a dragging sensation and general discomfort.
Just before xmas, I did have abdominal pain and a temperature and the urine samples came back as positive. I am also constipated at the moment and have read that the straining from that ( sorry to be so graphic) can cause the urethra to become bruised and give the symptoms of a UTI

Katejo

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2018, 10:03:47 AM »

Hi Dancinggirl,
I don't feel the need to pee all the time and don't have a burning sensation all the time. When I do go for a pee, it is slow to come and the flow is not right. The rest of the time, I feel a dragging sensation and general discomfort.
Just before xmas, I did have abdominal pain and a temperature and the urine samples came back as positive. I am also constipated at the moment and have read that the straining from that ( sorry to be so graphic) can cause the urethra to become bruised and give the symptoms of a UTI
It can still be an infection without the burning sensation. I only ever had that once. I get the dull ache and discomfort but not burning. Mine seems to have mysteriously improved overnight after using Estriol so I am going to hold off the AB for a day or two. I agree that constipation could make the effect worse. I am not familiar with Cymalon so don't know if it would help.

sidse

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2018, 10:12:59 AM »

That's good news Katejo. Cymalon is just something to neutralize the acid - would probably be able to use bicarb to get the same effect. Hope yours continues to improve.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2018, 10:53:30 AM »

sidse - if you are constipated then this can effect everything.  My theory - and this is ‘my' theory based on logic - is that everything gets squashed around our lower abdominal area as we age and the lack of oestrogen makes everything sag and relax - so the urethra is under pressure so can become sore and swollen - this can also lead to urine retention which can lead to infection. Drinking lots of water is essential to keep things clear.
When I had a cystoscopy, the urologist also 'stretched' my urethra (most unpleasant) which improved the urine flow for about 2 weeks and then it went back to a trickle. Unless my bladder is really full, the flow is poor and I have to consciously relax and sit for a while to make sure I've evacuated all the urine.   When I get up to pee at night, the flow is much better and I think this is because I've been lying down and the pressure on the urethra and bladder has been less. 
The pressure on the urethra is greater if we are tense, constipated, dehydrated, sitting for too long etc so this will result in a poor urine flow.  We are meant to do pelvic floor exercises but it is also important to totally relax our pelvic floor as well when peeing.

If you do the bicarb in water, this will not only neutralise that urine, it will also help with the constipation (it's a mild laxative). Drink plenty of water and really up your fibre intake e.g. bran, fruit, veg, beans etc.  - cut out chocolate, red meat and anything that is binding. The other really important thing is exercise - brisk walking is great but we all have a gym in our house and that is 'the stairs' (unless you live in a bungalow of course). Try going up and down these 10 times in one go as fast as you can and do this 3 times a day.

DG x

sidse

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2018, 11:03:28 AM »

Good advice DG. Is it a waste of time taking D Mannose at the same time as the bicarb/cymalon? I am also taking a new medication, quetiapine and I have read that one of the side effects is urinary retention which is not good for someone with a predisposition to UTIs

Dancinggirl

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2018, 11:21:44 AM »

What is the quetiapine for?
You could contour with the Dmannose but this is expensive so you could try just the bicarbonate option but make sure you drink 1.5 litres each day.
Get your body moving, get the bowels moving, keep using the local Oestrogen and drink enough water and hopefully things will settle. If you develop any true sign of infection then get professional help. DG x

sidse

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2018, 03:55:19 PM »

Still struggling. The urine sample has tested negative for any infection although it hasn't been sent off to the lab just tested in the surgery. Running out of ideas to make myself comfortable especially to be able to sleep. I am using vagifem, cymalon and Dmannose and drinking lots. I haven't taken any painkillers yet but will do this evening to see if that helps me be comfortable enough to sleep.

Daisydot

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2018, 04:27:43 PM »

Try an antihistamine tablet sidse.it will work.x If the bladder is producing too much histamine it can cause pain.its all to do with mast cells.do some research for more info xx
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 04:29:34 PM by Daisydot »

sidse

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2018, 04:48:25 PM »

Thanks Daisy. Can it be any antihistamine? I probably have some from last years hay fever season

Daisydot

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2018, 05:04:56 PM »

Yes Benadryl or similar.research bladder and mast cells a bit on google so you get the idea of what it does it'll surprise you.you have to remember if the bladder gets inflamed it can take a good 6 months to heal itself so when you get a bad attack like your obviously getting always try an antihistamine, remember they can make you drowsy so follow instructions on pack good luck xx

Katejo

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2018, 06:49:12 PM »

Try an antihistamine tablet sidse.it will work.x If the bladder is producing too much histamine it can cause pain.its all to do with mast cells.do some research for more info xx
It has never occurred to me to try antihistamine to help the bladder! I must try that one. I have some because i need them occasionally. I must test that method. Anything to avoid needing an AB and a trip to the GP. My symptoms haven't completely gone but are mild irritation so I will wait for the urine test result next week and try an antihistamine now. I will look up bladder and mast cells now.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 06:53:41 PM by Katejo »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2018, 07:27:44 PM »

Unless the sample is sent off and as it's a weekend, I don't expect that your GP would consider it! then take an over the counter pain relief to ease symptoms.  Certainly when I was constipated recently I had a return of symptoms, had never put the two together but once I had used 24 hours of Ovestin and pain relief, I felt better.

Use the Vagifem every night, if necessary two for 3 nights then 1 ....... and see if symptoms ease.  It can take a while!

sidse

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2018, 09:11:15 AM »

Really was very uncomfortable trying to sleep last night. The irritation and burning seemed to be right at the opening of the urethra. I took some bicarb in water and a strong pain killer and managed to sleep. Have any of you used Pyridium which apparently has an anesthetic effect on the bladder. I have taken an antihistamine but so far nothing seems to be working. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10