Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: got a UTI brewing despite using vagifem, any advice  (Read 31457 times)

sidse

got a UTI brewing despite using vagifem, any advice
« on: April 04, 2018, 01:00:00 PM »

Hi,
I have had a UTI brewing for a couple of weeks. I thought that I had nipped it in the bud with D Mannose and upping my vagifem but I think it may be getting worse. I have some antibiotics from the last one. Should I use them?

Annie0710

Re: got a UTI brewing despite using vagifem, any advice
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 01:05:22 PM »

Have you got a whole course of ABs from last time? If not I'd think it's better to get it confirmed and a new full course prescribed if it is

I suffered terribly pre-vagifem with constant UTIs and touch wood I've not had once since but if I did I'd just put it down to one of those things I think.  I think it's always best to complete any course of ABs, even when you start feeling better

Hope you get sorted xx

Daisydot

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 01:17:15 PM »

No sidse I wouldn't as you can develop a resistance to them plus until you get your culture results back you wouldn't know which bacteria you were targeting.I would try drinking some lemon juice in warm water to neutralise any acidity in your urine and try and restore your ph balance.your dmannose is only helpful for ecoli bacteria so that's probably why it's not helping,watch your diet and avoid any acidic foods,check out the bladder diet online.It could be VA you have as this mimics utis so unless you have confirmation from labs it's a bacterial infection I would assume it's VA and use the recommended treatments for that,I see your using vagifem so try bottle washing after peeing,just use lukewarm water in a water bottle while straddling the pan,and use a good lubricant after,either coconut oil or yes or silk for the surrounding vaginal area.keep persisting with it you can minimise the discomfort by doing this,drink plenty water and keep the ph as neutral as possible.ideal number is 7 ish.you can buy test strips in chemist or on amazon.good luck and if any doubt see your gp.x

sidse

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 01:27:36 PM »

It wasn't a course of antibiotics( should have been clearer) I was given a one off dose of Fosfomycin as I had to go to hospital. I picked up a second dose just in case but I didn't have to take it then. I will try to keep it under control with all the lifestyle measures that you are suggesting daisydot. Interestingly, I had just come to the end of the 2 weeks of vagifem so I may go back to using it every day for a while.

Daisydot

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 01:37:15 PM »

I've developed extreme reactions to antibiotics sidse as they'd given me so many and suppressed my immune system and I got pretty ill at one stage so I've had to use every trick in the book to avoid antibiotics until I got stronger but I have been nearly a year now with no utis at all,as I said VA does mimic it very well and I had all the classic symptoms but no bacteria,I even sent away to private labs just to be sure.every single time you poo wash yourself afterwards,it needs to be a lifetime habit if your scucceptabke to utis.dont use wipes or perfumed soaps,it's a bit of a nightmare initially but you can soon get things under control and manageable without them poking around and doing invasive procedures that do not help anyone Good luck.x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 01:42:20 PM »

sidse - you must get your urine tested to see if there is infection before taking ABs. ABs can actually make things worse if used too often.  Dmannose is not enough if you have urogenital atrophy.  Use Vaginal moisturisers daily - YES products or SYLK are best.  Drink lots of water and cut out caffeine, fruit juices and alcohol is essential.  Try putting a teaspoon of bicarb of soda in a 500ml bottle of water and drink this over 3-4 hours to ease the burning.

DG x
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 02:27:42 PM by Dancinggirl »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 03:01:23 PM »

Agree - do not take ABs - vaginal atrophy mimics urine infection-type feelings.  The only way is to have a fresh urine test sent to a Lab. for proper testing. 

VA needs HRT! 

sidse

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 06:20:31 PM »

will try to keep going without taking the antibiotics and try bicarb although I am using cymalon at the moment but I guess they are the same thing?

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 06:57:02 PM »

Make sure that you have a good pain relief too.

Shadyglade

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 07:05:47 PM »

Is your pee cloudy (pee in jam jar to check). If so you an infection so see your doctor. How come you have ABs left over. You should have taken them all as not completing means you probably didn't get clear the first time and it creates AB resistant infections.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 07:15:46 PM »

Shady glade - you are totally right about the ABs - one should always finish the whole course of ABs or resistance occurs.
I'm afraid cloudy urine doesn't necessarily mean infection - it can just be a sign that there is blood in the urine and there can be blood without infection with IC and/or urogenital atrophy. My urine is cloudy most of the time because of blood traces.  DG x

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 07:47:28 PM »

Reading previous posts it seems that sidse was only given a single dose sachet with another one as back up from the hospital so not a course as such?

Taz x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 07:54:26 PM »

I didn't think there was such a thing as a single dose AB!!!
I believe there is concern about the standard short course ABs that women are given for UTIs as they rarely clear infections fully and could be building AB resistant infections. It's very important that any uti infection is identified and appropriate AB treatment is given. All to often women get repeated infections because infections have not been cleared completely. DG x

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 06:48:20 AM »

Anyone read about the man with un-treatable gonorrhoea?  There is 1 last AB that the medics are going to try ......... sadly ABs were taken for granted B4 in recent years, it became aware that Bugs can become resistant  :'(

How R U this morning sidse?

sidse

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 08:36:54 AM »

Morning all, well I have not burning sensation just not a proper flow. I have taken some cymalon and will take the full course of that and also go back to using vagifem every day. Is using bicarb the same as using cymalon as I don't want to have to keep buying cymalon at nearly £5 a course.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10