Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Weird Menopause Symptoms with high blood pressure at times  (Read 6499 times)

AG

Hi All

I am new to this forum (age 48) and up to recent weeks was aware that I may have been going trough peri-menopause. Up to last few weeks my symptoms were moderate but now things seem to have changed and I am wondering whether I should be going onto HRT to "get my life back". Sleep disturbances seem to come in clusters every few weeks with some night sweats but also being too cold. Blood pressure has become erratic (mostly too high).

I had a blood test in Dec17, all looked fine, good cholesterol values, good kidney values, good blood pressure, all fine. Have not had any period since mid Jan, and slowly since then, I seem to have got new symptoms. Most recently, my blood pressure sky-rocketed, and I had a check from ambulance crew which showed good ECG but I am currently taking blood pressure lowering tablets on prescription. Blood pressure is now lower but not stable.

I am in a low risk group for high blood pressure (exercise: plenty, no smoking, moderate drinking, varied diet and not overweight, only risk may be hereditary as one parent developed high blood pressure). I have another GP appointment coming up for my blood pressure and am at a loss what to do now. I stopped running for now (only walk) but I'd rather be back running. Blood pressure does not seem high all the time but there are more like surges. I try to remain calm. I have also not suffered from anxiety before but when my blood pressure went high I was concerned I had a serious heart issue (but ECG showed all fine) and anxiety does not help with managing blood pressure.

Has anyone had similar symptoms and what would you suggest (I am also consulting GP for this)? Many thanks, Anna 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Weird Menopause Symptoms with high blood pressure at times
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 06:35:55 PM »

How was your 'high' BP diagnosed?  Many people have white coat syndrome so that the BP rises when under stress, i.e. in the GP surgery having their pressure taken  ::).  High BP can't be felt.  Low can.  Did the medic do a sitting and rising BP test several times?

AG

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 08:20:41 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I wish it was "white coat syndrome" only but I have a blood pressure measuring device at home as well and it is at times above the 140/80 mark with higher spikes. I am taking the blood pressure tablets and they do seem to bring it down (have only been on them for a few days so far). Blood pressure is not consistently high but more like it surges at times when I am feeling as if there is also a surge of hormones or something.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 03:06:01 PM »

Is that particularly high?   What time to you check it?  Himself took his BP every morning, 7.30 B4 eating.  His WCS doesn't manifest itself except in the Surgery  ::)

I suggest that you go to your Practice Nurse for a Well Woman Check and get details of the 'within normal limit' range of BP.  This will depend on lots of health issues.

Let us know?

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 03:14:19 PM »

Hi AG

:welcomemm:

HRT is recommended as the first line of treatment for women of your age with menopausal symptoms provided there is no medical contra-indication - and high blood pressure is not though it should be controlled. Here is what it says on this website about hypertension and HRT:

Hypertension   
    Blood pressure should be measured and, if high, should be controlled prior to starting HRT. Blood pressure measurement should be repeated 3 months after starting HRT and is then usually checked at annual review. There is a very small risk of conjugated equine estrogens causing a rise in blood pressure which resolves on cessation of treatment. In the presence of controlled hypertension, HRT is unlikely to worsen control; some recommend using transdermal (patch or gel) HRT.
    Sage should be used with caution if hypertensive and St.John's Wort should be used with caution if taking antihypertensive therapy.

The other thing is you mention sometimes feeling cold so in your recent blood tests did you have thyroid function tested too and if so what was the result? If you have an underactive thyroid though, you would also have other symptoms ie fatigue and weight gain which it sounds like you don't have (except tiredness due to sleep disturbances?).

There really is no need to suffer so have a look at the different preparations and see what takes your fancy (green tabs or menu above - Treatments/HRT preparations). Do ask if you need any more help.

I'm wondering why you stopped running as surely the cardio exercise would be good for your heart that would help with BP?

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 07:24:44 PM »

You can't feel high blood pressure.  Have you had advice about using a monitor, i.e. the proper time to check BP, B4 or after eating?  Let us know how you get on?

AG

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 06:04:57 PM »

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies. I just had another blood test to check thyroid function, maybe that will show something.
I was advised to check BP over a week or so each time in the morning and evening (under similar conditions: i.e. I measure it after sitting for 5 minutes or so). BP has come down but it sometimes fluctuates above 140/85 but then 10 minutes later it is back lower again (nothing too low though). I am planning to get back to some running but may have to do shorter runs for now as I used to run long distances (always fine). Will let you know how I get on. All the best, Anna

nicky_boo

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 10:25:38 PM »

Hi AG,

I recently turned 46 and I could have written your post. I have exactly the same symptoms. I wonder how you are now? I am currently obsessed with measuring my blood pressure.

Ladybt28

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 01:27:15 PM »

so I am n high blood pressure medication 139/80 - 140/80 is what my GP considers the requirement to prescribe medication.
I was on anti-inflammatories  for years which are know to cause blood pressure rises and I was on AD's all that time also.  I no longer take either and have not done for 4 years.  Up until 7 months ago I was in a permanent state of panic and anxiety due to meno - permanently on high alert and during that time I also had to change my blood pressure meds cos one causes a well known contra and causes ankle swelling.

Anyway since getting right hrt - no more anxiety, gone but I have noticed that with my blood pressure meds I occasionally get a woosy head which indicates to me my blood pressure has dropped slightly.  I also had a blood pressure test a few weeks ago but realised I hadnt taken my meds for the last 2 days and it came back normal without them!  Weird!!  Personally I think the lack of permant state of panic has allowed my body to adjust its blood pressure cos surely being scared witless every day has to have an effect on your blood pressure and the pumping of your heart??

To be honest AG 140/85 is only borderline for "high" and meds (your own GP might be different to mine?) and the fact it fluctuates so very much and you are monitoring very closely with a monitor all the time probably means it is going up during periods of high activity and hormone surges and then coming back down.  Personally I dont think there is much to worry about,

Just discuss with the GP when you go if it happens to be high when you go and he takes it.  It it stayed at 140/85 and above all the time, then if it were me then I would start worrying.  Anyway worrying raises your blood pressue  ;)

AG

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 07:55:38 PM »

Hi,

This was nearly a year ago of a pretty terrible 2018. Interestingly, my BP has been fluctating and has not been high consistently. A lot of the higher readings have been at the same time as when something went "belly up" with hormones etc, and in particular, some instances of anxiety. I have had a reading borderline high at GP, as soon as I was at home again and not anxious (about BP as well), it was normal.
The BP tablets, even on the lowest dosage, made my BP go "down the drain" so low that I it became unstable, and they also gave me a persistent nasty cough. I am currently measuring BP not very often, as this constant measuring itself can increase it. My "barrage" of other peri symptoms is luckily fading a bit these days (49y, and periods many months apart if ever again) but one thing that is coming up on the horizon is VA symptoms. I am not on HRT (yet) but have made appointment with GP to discuss options for that. In short, I am better but 2018 was a complete write off. For your BP: measuring it too often can cause BP anxiety as well and that alone raised mine by 20-30 mmHg (higher reading mostly not the lower one). I wish you all the best, AG