Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hello from Moray  (Read 1060 times)

smithm31

Hello from Moray
« on: April 01, 2018, 07:31:51 AM »

Hello from Lhanbryde, Moray. I've apparently begun the menopause and I'm not happy! There's a whole bunch of stuff going on in my body that's literally sucking the life out of me. Everything I've every suffered from is back with a vengeance. My fibromyalgia is 100 worse than it's ever been, Reynauds Disease has kicked in, my hair has turned to straw and skin has become paper thin and shrivelled up. The hot flashes lasted for 6 weeks and now they are gone (Thank God). I'm not going to take HRT. Wondering why the doc recommended Menopace when all it seems to be is a Vit supplement with a bit of soya. I'm giving the Immune Formula a try from Holland & Barrett.  :-\ Any recommendations gladly received.  :)

Dottyaboutdurham

Re: Hello from Moray
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 09:16:12 AM »

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Is there a reason you don't want to try HRT ?  personally haven't got on too well with it and tried several tablet types so far, but everyone is different. The research is very interesting for HRT as is everyone's experiences on this forum ( which was recommended by my GP !) Herbal medicines have been mentioned by the gynecologist I saw- he said a few people have success with them. I guess its a case of trial and error, good luck with your quest and hope you feel better soon  :bighug:

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 08:05:08 AM »

Hi smithm31

:welcomemm:

In terms of trying to help you - perhpas you can tell us how old you are and whereabouts in menopause ie what has your cycle been doing ( frequency of periods, how heavy they are etc) over the last few months or as couple of years? Flushes tend to come and go in peri-menopause - for those who get them - and this is due to your hormones rising and falling. Often when periods stop, flushes start and then stop when periods resume ( due to rising oedtrogen). Some women get flushes even while still having regular periods.

Fibromyalgia and associated conditions like CFS and ME often get worse around peri-menopause and in some cases only start then if the symptoms have a hormonal cause.  HRT should help you! Have you had your thyroid tested?

Your doc should be offering you HRT on NHS for menopausal symptoms and not expensive vitamin supplements unless you are medically contra-indicated. At this time of life it is important to look at diet and lifestyle as well as hRT to make sure you are doing the best you can for your health in the years to come.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 11:31:07 AM »

If you told your GP that you aren't going to take HRT maybe he/she recommended something less along those lines? Only you know what was discussed at the appt..

HRT does what it says on the tin, replaces some hormones that the body may still require.  Eases symptoms.  Some ladies don't require it, I have to use treatment for vaginal atrophy - do read the threads about *that* on here ! - otherwise .........

Maybe keep a mood/food/symptom diary and jot down what you decide to try.  Give each product 3 months and don't use too many combinations or your body won't know whether it's flying a bike or riding a kite  ;)

Maybe decide which symptom you would like to ease first and do a 'search' on here to see how others have coped?

Browse round.  Make notes.

smithm31

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 06:10:00 PM »

Thanks everyone.  I've decided not to go near HRT for a few of reasons. I've been told by the doc that rates of breast cancer and stroke aren't good with it.  I take such a severe reaction to anything beyond paracetamol anyway. I've also been told that HRT is made from yams, so why wouldn't you just eat yams?! (I sure it's more complicated than that)  I'll be 51 in May. Periods stopped after 3 (light) weeks at Christmas and nothing since, (after 39 yrs of monthly 3 day horror movies).  Apparently the doc may have recommended Menopace because they've got a deal going on with the company, so no surprise there.
I don't feel too bad this week. I've had 3 of the immune formula tabs so far and no bad reaction to them. Can't say for sure if they're doing any good either though. The whole mood thing hasn't affected me yet - probably since I've always been moody! Doc basically said suck it up; hang on for the ride and it'll all go away eventually.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 06:12:52 PM »

Which GP gave you that advice and when?   That's so last Century >yawn<.   Ask your GP on my behalf whether he's every had menopausal symptoms and how long did they last?  Some may go away others hang around for years ...... particularly vaginal atrophy.

I don't expect that your Surgery is connected to any drugs company if you are in the UK.  This is a product that can be bought over the counter after all but you could ask why they are pushing it? 

You may not have had your last period.  Mine came and went for years  ::)