Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Period pains on HRT  (Read 19046 times)

lovesflorida

Period pains on HRT
« on: March 22, 2018, 07:52:46 AM »

Morning! Some advice please. Started taking Femiston conti last Friday 0.5 /2.5 and bad period type pains started last night! Feels like a period is about to start - which feels weird as haven't had a bleed in 4 years- is this normal? On the plus side even though I still feel very down I don't feel like I want to hurt anyone at the moment 😳 xx

Dancinggirl

Re: Period pains on HRT
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 08:46:31 AM »

Yep, period type cramps are common with HRT, especially with the continuous HRTs . This may settle over time as your body adjusts to the hormones.  It's one of the many reasons why many women stick with a sequential HRT.  DG x

lovesflorida

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 09:11:57 AM »

Thanks dancing girl! Felt poorly this morning but went into work and fainted 😳 not sure what's going on but am thinking to stop the tablets as am feeling worse x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 09:23:06 AM »

It is a very low dose of HRT and shouldn't really have given such a big reaction.  I do wonder if you simply have a tummy bug or virus as there are a lot around at the moment.  I wouldn't stop straight away - give it some time.  Do make sure you take the pills with a meal as well. I can't remember when her you had tried HRT before and if so what you used but you are very post menopause and your body will react to the hormones at first e.g. cramps, sore breasts, maybe some headaches, vaginal discharge etc. and this is the body waking up and adjusting. If you fainted, then this could well be lack of fluids and food. DG x

lovesflorida

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 09:34:32 AM »

No I haven't taken HRT before - DG- but don't think I have a tummy bug- it definately feels like period pains! I have called GP and they are going to call me back re whether to stop taking tablets or not! X

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 09:52:53 AM »

I had awful period pains on Elleste Duet Conti for weeks followed by a bleed at 3 months.

Now on Oestrogel and no pains.

lovesflorida

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 11:17:13 AM »

Quick update! GP called me back and has advised me to stop the HRT for now- he said wait a couple of weeks and try again but if I feel ill again then he's made me an appointment to see him in April and they may need to change the HRT to something else! Xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 11:36:30 AM »

It may be better to try with transdermal HRT regime as you are post meno adn start really low dose.  I'd suggest Oestrogel( very easy to adjust dosage)  with Utrogestan for the progesterone and start with a sequential regime to allow the body to settle on the Oestrogel before starting the progesterone phase -  then as your body adjusts you could then move to the continuous version.  As you are starting at a very low oestrogen level, I'm afraid it can be a shock to the body to suddenly have hormones and wake things up - also using oral HRT can sometimes be more problematic.
What you could try when you next try the low dose Femoston, is to take it with dinner and maybe take it every other day to really allow things to absorb slowly, just for the first week or so. DG x

lovesflorida

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 09:20:54 PM »

Thanks DG- not sure what to do- but of a minefield all this HRT stuff 😳

Dierdre

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 07:14:04 AM »

I started on Femoston  Conti 0.5/2.5 and had period pains in the first week, then continued to have lots of the other side effects for three months.  I then went on femseven conti and had no side effects although a stronger dose, except a period on the third week which is common.  The femoston is ultra low but i think the progesterone perhaps didn't suit as was ok on the patch.  I wouldn't give up try transdermal as suggested with the different progesterone.

lovesflorida

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 04:38:30 PM »

Have stopped taking tablets on GP recommendation and light head has gone and stomach cramps nearly gone- bit loath to start again so will wait and see how I feel over next few weeks x