Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Menopause Cafes  (Read 6145 times)

Bring me Sunshine

• Menopause really isnt that bad. said no woman ever
Menopause Cafes
« on: March 18, 2018, 05:03:04 PM »

Hi I mentioned on "what have you done today" that I was arranging a menopause cafe and it was suggested to start a new thread for this topic, so here it is....

Here is a little history behind it.......

Rachel Weiss had the idea for Menopause Cafe in 2017, inspired by Kirsty Wark's BBC programme “Menopause and Me” and the Death Cafe model she had already been part of.  Rachel,  Gail Jack and Lorna Fotheringham held the world's first Menopause Cafe in Perth, Scotland that June 2017.  They didn't know whether it would just be the three of them talking to each other, or if other people would join them. About 30 people turned up and talked, and asked for more Menopause Cafes.

There have been more in Scotland, Manchester, Sheffield and London.  Their website is www.menopausecafe.net

I thought it sounded like a good idea, approached a local community cafe, and they were really keen for one to be held there.  So all I need to do is let the menopause cafe people know so they can put it on their facebook, twitter page once a date has been sorted out.  I was only going to test the water by doing it for an hour on a wed or thu afternoon (cafe's quiet time) to see if any one turned up.  The cafe have their own facebook page too and a local radio station are interested in publicising it.

If any one is interested and is in the Buckinghamshire area (Aylesbury is the town) then I will happily provide more details once the date is known but it will be sooner rather than later. There is no agenda its just for anybody interested in sharing their stories, experiences and questions about menopause. All genders and all ages. Men and women and inbetween. Old and young and inbetween.to increase awareness of the impact of the menopause on those experiencing it, their friends, colleagues and families, so that we can make conscious choices about this third stage of life.

A Menopause Cafe is a group directed discussion of menopause with no agenda, objectives or themes. It is a discussion group rather than a support or counselling session.  It is really what we are all doing on here but its local to where you live and face to face really.

I thought after the horrible last year 2017 I had to try and make something positive come out of all that suffering.  It may take off it may not but its worth a try and the founders are great to talk to about it all.  They wont be there it will just be me and hopefully another person or two!

Its worth having a look at their website www.menopausecafe.net

Finally has anyone ever been to one?

Daisydot

Re: Menopause Cafes
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 05:17:31 PM »

Thanks for the info BmS great idea I'll go if it can work in for around my holiday dates.im not a Facebook user so can you post the date on here when you decide please.well done xx

Bring me Sunshine

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 05:55:49 PM »

Thanks Daisydot that's encouraging to hear, thinking it may just be me in the corner!  I am not a facebook user either so I certainly will post date here if that's okay.

Daisydot

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 05:59:35 PM »

Brilliant let's hope some other ladies are able to make it xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 06:34:49 PM »

:medal:

Make use of your local library, GP Surgeries, Vet. Surgeries, Hairdressing Salons, Church Groups, Pet Shops; anywhere that ladies visit often.  WI?  Gardening Club?  Local Garden Centres have notice boards too ..........

Your local Waitrose may have a token system to raise monies if it's required.  We get a green token to put into local charities and they match the amounts.  Clear as mud  :-\ .........

GOOD LUCK!

Bring me Sunshine

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 06:53:37 PM »

Thanks CKLD some good advice there, blimey it could be packed!

its non profit making but its a nice system they operate in Waitrose.

Thanks again!

Daisydot

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 07:41:07 PM »

Great advice  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 10:51:36 AM »

:thankyou:   if I didn't have anxiety ..........  :-\

Daisydot

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 02:15:05 PM »

We can all be anxious together CLKD.Be fun to put faces to names.i feel a new thread coming on lol.using your forum name what do I think you look like  :rofl: xx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 03:28:43 PM »

Grabs Brown Paper Bag  :lol:

I think we have that thread somewhere here .........

Bring me Sunshine

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 06:37:57 PM »

Event
The Menopause Café 

Where?   
More+ (Café in Aylesbury, England) at 36 Parton Rd, Aylesbury, HP20 1NG

When?
Wednesday 18 April 2018 (1.30 pm to 2.30 pm)

A little of the background
Rachel Weiss started the first Menopause Cafe in Perth, Scotland in June 2017.
In Rachel's words, “The Menopause Café is aimed at women and men of all ages who would like to come along and talk about the menopause, to share their stories, experiences and questions. Unfortunately, many women feel that they should just ‘get on with' the Menopause, with some never talking to their friends of family about it, but the reality is that it affects all women eventually, not forgetting those who live and spend time with them. People can come along and just listen, or join in on the discussions”.

The Menopause Café

I came across this story and really liked the idea.  I felt like I wanted to share the story of my own
(on-going) battle with the menopause.  I approached the More+ Café (a successful community-run café in Aylesbury) who were more than happy for their café to be used as a venue. 
This will be the first ‘menopause café' in this area and there will be refreshments and cake to purchase on the day.
I hope that you can join me on 18th April 2018 at 1.30pm.  And hopefully this could be the first ‘menopause' event of many.

Daisydot

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 06:55:22 PM »

Well done I'll see you there xx

Bring me Sunshine

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 08:24:45 PM »

Fantastic but please dont worry if on the day you cant make it.  But would be lovely to see you!

Daisydot

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 08:41:05 PM »

If I have to crawl there I will 😂 only joking but I'll do my best I do appreciate your efforts to arrange it and it would be lovely to meet some of our lovely ladies from here who can make it.aylesburys a nice town I've only ever been to the hospital there but it's not that far from me and worth it.xx

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 09:15:00 PM »

Good Luck!   
Pages: [1] 2 3