Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Next Steps - fairly new to HRT  (Read 1897 times)

Judy M

Next Steps - fairly new to HRT
« on: March 18, 2018, 02:39:09 PM »

Hello All,

I've an appointment with my GP this week to get a repeat of Elleste Duet and would appreciate any advice in how to approach it.

I'm 46 and 1st went to see him in January after my periods stopped a few months before and the flushes were constant and unbearable. Tests showed that (in his words) I hadn't ovulated in a long time and had skipped peri menopause completely.

After the initial shock I was, of course, delighted to see the back of the hot flushes BUT the side effects of duet are, for me, just as bad as the 3 months has progressed. 
I have very dry and patchy skin, am constantly nauseous and bloated, have gained weight, suffered very low moods and lost my sense of taste (my kidneys must be screeching at the amount of salt I'm using to taste food!)
My periods are back of course, as heavy if not heavier than before, and come with a couple of days of pretty intolerable pain.

Do I have any other options?...should I be pushing for an alternative? or do I just need to get a grip (I have tried!) and get on with it?

I never tolerated the pill in my child bearing years (similar side effects) and stopped taking it in my 20's so although I was positive (honest) at the beginning with Elleste I had a realistic fear my body wouldn't take it well.

Any advice gratefully received ....

Thanks for reading!

Judy  :-\

dahliagirl

Re: Next Steps - fairly new to HRT
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 06:10:48 PM »

Have a look at the tabs above - you need Treatments > HRT preparations > for perimenopause.  It is worth printing it out.

You will need to change one thing at a time ie the dose of oestrogen, or the type of progestogen , so that you can see what is going on.

I expect the next one to try would be Femeston which is a different type of progestogen.  I found norithisterone a bit harsh - it is used for bleeding problems because it is very effective  :o  It gave me cramps and thick dark bleeding, and plenty of it.

TBH it is sometimes finding something that is the least unbearable  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 06:31:04 PM »

:welcomemm:   do browse round.  Make notes.  Many ladies find that the progesterone part of treatment makes them feel ill. 

As oestrogen levels drop so the muscles may become lax = aches and pains, as well as causing the body to become dry: skin, deep in the ears, nostrils, vagina  :o - do read up on *that* one!

Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary is of use.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 07:15:47 PM »

Judy M - welcome to MM

There are many options with HRT - so as others have said, look under TREATMENTS.

If you look under ‘progesterones' - you will see alternative options that can be used with transdermal oestrogen as patch or gel adn these regimes using separate progesterone and oestrogen can be very good.

Why not try having a Mirena fitted to protect you womb lining(delivering a low amount of progesterone more directly to where it is needed) and use Oestrogel or oestrogen patches alongside to control the meno symptoms?  The Mirena will usually result in no bleeding at all after the first few weeks( sometimes 3-4 months) so non of teh nasty period pains and fewer progesterone side effects. You can use as little of as much oestrogen as you need to control the meno symptoms. The Mirena with Oestrogel was the best HRT regime I ever used - I had a premature meno, used HRT for 25 years and tried just about everything. DG x

Judy M

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 05:46:56 PM »

Thanks so much for the helpful replies ladies - thought I'd update you a couple months on.

I went back to my GP armed with useful info from the forum and a list of questions.  He was really understanding and outlined a couple of other options as I really wanted to come off Elleste. We agreed a change onto Femoston Conti. Two months on and I'm relatively happy. My mood is definitely lighter, my skin and taste buds have improved too.

The ole weight gain  :-\ remains an issue - but reading other ladies posts it's just a constant fight with that one. My only real  >:( with Femoston is that (despite my GP assuring me otherwise!) I'm continuing to have heavy and painful periods. Anyone else on Femoston and having that issue? Or who has been on it in the past? Am sincerely hoping it settles and stops as it was the only plus of early meno!!

Judy xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 06:23:03 PM »

I'm afraid bleeding and spotting are all part of the settling in process with any Conti hrt but this should stop within 6 months and if it doesn't then you will need a scan and possibly a different hrt. The erratic and problematic bleeding is often the reason many women stick with a sequential hrt regime so the bleeds are predictable. The Mirena would probably settle more quickly if you decide to try it. Give this hrt a bit more time. DG x

dahliagirl

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 08:35:58 PM »

I would agree with Dancinggirl.

I am on the Femoston sequential hrt.  I have found my periods reduce over the 3 years I have been on it.

You didn't say how long you had been without periods?  It could be that your hormones are still fluctuating from time to time, especially as you are still under 50.

It may be worth trying mirena + oestrogen.  This also takes about 6 months to settle, but seems a good combination at this stage.

Judy M

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 10:47:02 PM »

Thanks again ladies -that's really helpful. I'll stick with it until the next review with my GP - see if things settle over the next few months  ::)