Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Water retention around abdomen  (Read 3177 times)

LAC1969

Water retention around abdomen
« on: March 16, 2018, 12:46:04 PM »

Hi. Has anyone NOT on HRT experienced water retention around the abdomen? In the last week I have accumulated what feels like a lot of fluid around my abdomen. It feels like I'm squishing a hot water bottle beneath my tummy in places! I'm being referred for ultrasound to confirm there is no fluid in the abdominal cavity (which I could have due to a genetic condition, although it's unlikely). I didn't really know that water retention could be down to being perimenopausal and my GPS didn't offer this up as an option, making me think that it must be something sinister! I managed to get myself in quite a state actually. 

Can anyone reassure me around this? Fingers crossed.... Thanks for reading. Louise

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Water retention around abdomen
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 07:05:10 PM »

I had fluid retention pre-bleed. 

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 10:15:04 AM »

Hi LAC1969

:welcomemm:

As CLKD says it is common to experience fluid retention in the latter part of the menstrual cycle. Whereabouts are you in menopause ie periods. cycle, last bleed etc? Good that you are being referred if this symptom is unusual for you though, and hopefully your scan will show there is nothing wrong. In the meantime try not to worry and depending on where you live - get out and enjoy the snow :)

Hurdity x

LAC1969

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 11:00:35 PM »

Thanks for your kind words Hurdity. Thankfully scan was clear and fluid went down by itself. Apparently it could be IBS?
Interestingly you asked where I was in the perimenopause and I've realised I don't know how to describe it. Lol! Had only 2 periods last year, 6 months apart, with the last one September 17. Hope that's it for me! X

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 08:29:02 PM »

Hi again

You are well advanced in peri-menopause if you only had two periods last year. Some women do go on to have a time of regular periods again for a few months but you are definitely well on the way to menopause.  Mine tailed off like yours. Five months after my last natural period ( having gone 6 months without one before that) I started HRT so I've no idea whether I would have had any more but I doubt it as I was almost 54. 

If you are under the average age of natural menopause of 51/52 then you should consider taking HRT until then to proect cardiovascualr and bone health. I presume you're not on mini-pill or Mirena coil?

Hurdity x

LAC1969

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 03:36:16 PM »

I'll be 49 in July Hurdity so am probably on younger side.....? I asked my GP (female, slightly younger than me) if I should consider HRT for any preventative/health benefits but she wasn't really encouraging. She said that if I was coping with any symptoms I was having (hot flushes and night sweats) then I didn't need to consider HRT buy that it was "up to me"! I must research this site further to see what I can find about benefits of HRT for the under 50s.......Thanks again for your reply. You seem very knowledgeable  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 07:51:08 PM »

Yes do read around the subject - there is a lot of info on the main website. As for me - just a bit long in the tooth - have been doing this for a long time ie 11 years on HRT so have had to read about it especially as now in mid 60's so need to be on the ball to talk to GPs in case they try to fob me off or take me off it - as one GP tried to!!!

Hurdity x