Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Switching from patches to gel?  (Read 16469 times)

Artmouse

Switching from patches to gel?
« on: March 12, 2018, 01:35:39 PM »

Hi all,

I'm currently on Evorel 50 + Utrogestan.  I was on Evorel 75 but was getting palpitations so cut back to the 50 patch. 

Just wondering what people's experiences are swapping from patches to Oestrogel, i.e. do some find it better?  I've read that sometimes the gel is absorbed more easily?  What I'm on seems to be doing very little - I still have insomnia, very achy joints, hot at night, fatigue, memory issues etc. etc. 

I'm thinking of going off HRT altogether as the palpitations were a bit scary (they've almost stopped since I lowered the patch) but wondered if there is something better to try?  Also wondering if it is more expensive for NHS - I'm seeing my GP tomorrow and will ask her but suspect she will just say no if it is.

Thanks,
Jane

Mary G

Re: Switching from patches to gel?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 07:45:34 PM »

Artmouse, I switched from patches (similar to Evorel) to Oestrogel years ago because the patches just didn't work for me at all.  They didn't stick well, I didn't absorb enough oestrogen from them, they left a horrible itchy mark and I really didn't like wearing a patch.  The 50mcg patch was so ineffectual, I might as well not have bothering using it at all.  I found Oestrogel far more effective almost immediately and much nicer to use too.  I like the fact it is so dose flexible giving maximum control over oestrogen levels.  I always split the dose by using 1 pump every 12 hours to keep the oestrogen levels up.

I would have no hesitation in recommending you make the switch and of course if you don't like it, you can always go back to patches.  It is more expensive than patches which is probably why the NHS tend to guide people towards patches.  Make sure you get Oestrogel and not Oestrodose which a lot of women have been given because it is cheaper but apparently it is not as good as the real deal. 

Thanks to paisley on here, I have recently switched from Oestrogel to Lenzetto which is a very user friendly liquid spray pump that you apply to your inner forearm and so far so good, I really like it.  It is slightly stronger than Oestrogel and dries in a few seconds.  I don't think it's available in the UK yet but you could ask.   

Artmouse

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 09:09:23 PM »

Thanks, that's really good to know.  I like the idea that the dose is more flexible so if I do want to come off it can do it very gradually.  Now I have to convince the GP which makes my heart sink to be honest.  Hope I feel strong enough to do battle tomorrow,

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 09:18:59 PM »

Artmouse, you might have to be very pushy to get Oestrogel and insist that you will not accept anything else.  You could try waving the NICE guidelines in front of them which state you have the right to ask for the HRT of your choice. 

From what I have read on here, it's a bit hit and miss as to how easily GPs dish it out.  It's all about cost because gel costs about £10.00 and patches are under £5.00 although the NHS will pay considerably less than that with greater purchasing power. 

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Stephjkm

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 10:01:58 PM »

Prices of all forms of HRT are listed in the link below. Oestrogel costs about the same as all the rest. It comes in a 64 pump pack so lasts a minimum of 16 days and max of 32. Cheap cheap cheap - especially when compared to the cost of a fractured hip or benefits paid because peri/menopausal symptoms stop one from working.

My GP automatically went to prescribe me patches as that was what she was used to prescribing. When I asked for the gel she checked it was stocked by the pharmacy and then prescribed it, no problem.

Cost really isn't an issue so don't be too stressed when you approach your GP. Good luck 😊

https://bnf.nice.org.uk/medicinal-forms/estradiol.html

Artmouse

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 11:38:47 AM »

Yay, got the Oestrogel!  I really hope it helps, fed up with patches and strongly suspecting they aren't working that well for me.

Thanks for the link Stephjkm - how do you find the gel?

Stephjkm

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 12:08:59 PM »

Great news, well done.

I like the gel, I have full control over the dose and it is easy to use. I worried about using the same application site initially but that really hasn't been an issue. I use one pump on inner thighs and outer arm/shoulder daily and try to rotate so that one patch gets a rest every three days, but I usually forget where I am in the routine. I've had no skin problems from the gel. I started in January on two pumps and am now on three, I'll see how that goes for another couple of weeks and may increase to four if needed.

Hope it works well for you ☺

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 01:37:58 PM »

I was on Estradot patches, adhesive irritated my skin and they would often migrate and I didn't get good symptom relief.
I changed to estrogel and haven't looked back! I definitely absorb it better.

Artmouse

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 01:47:21 PM »

It's all sounding good so far! 

Does anyone know how many pumps are equivalent to an Evorel 50 patch?  I was prescribed two pumps (GP had to look it all up in prescribing book, had never heard of it!).

Tinkerbell

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 01:59:03 PM »

I was on a estradot 75 patch and use
3 pumps.

Artmouse

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 02:05:32 PM »

Thanks, two pumps sounds about right then :)

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 04:31:41 PM »

How interesting. I went from gel to patches but I seem to be absorbing nothing. My ostrogen levels are very low still. So, back to the gel.

Mary G

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 07:25:07 PM »

Artmouse, that's good news!  It sounds like it was really easy to get Oestrogel so well done.  I think you will like it and I would start on 2 pumps as others have said.  The good thing with the gel is that you can easily adjust the dose to suit your needs.

Stephjkm, that price list is interesting.  If Oestrogel is about the same price as patches, it is strange that some GPs are reluctant to prescribe it. 

Tinkerbell

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 07:53:22 PM »

One GP was reluctant to prescribe estrogel to me when I asked to change from the estradot patches as she said it was the surgery policy to prescribe patches, I had to be quite pushy!

Stephjkm

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 08:23:07 PM »

Artmouse, that's good news!  It sounds like it was really easy to get Oestrogel so well done.  I think you will like it and I would start on 2 pumps as others have said.  The good thing with the gel is that you can easily adjust the dose to suit your needs.

Stephjkm, that price list is interesting.  If Oestrogel is about the same price as patches, it is strange that some GPs are reluctant to prescribe it.

I think, as was the case with my GP, that they just don't prescribe it so know nothing about it. My GP was very interested to hear how I got on with it as she said that every time she offered it women said that they wanted patches, so that was what she was use to prescribing.
Pages: [1] 2