Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Going grey  (Read 11662 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Going grey
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2018, 03:38:28 PM »

Not.  Worn by a hairdresser.  It's also very dry looking  :-\

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2018, 08:40:55 PM »

The grey is coming through nicely now.  I know theres quite a trend for young women to dye their hair grey and wonder whether this would work for me to hasten the process.

I am hopeless with anything to do with hair (despite having plenty of it!) so if I got it dyed grey and then let THAT grow out would I be grey underneath.

Probably the daftest question ever asked on here!  ;D

Two hoots

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2018, 12:13:05 PM »

The grey is coming through nicely now.  I know theres quite a trend for young women to dye their hair grey and wonder whether this would work for me to hasten the process.

I am hopeless with anything to do with hair (despite having plenty of it!) so if I got it dyed grey and then let THAT grow out would I be grey underneath.

Probably the daftest question ever asked on here!  ;D

:madeyes:

ellie

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2018, 03:00:15 PM »

The awnser would be yes....but the question is, would you like to go grey overnight so to speak?
   How about having some grey streaks added instead?,

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2018, 01:47:00 PM »

The awnser would be yes....but the question is, would you like to go grey overnight so to speak?
   How about having some grey streaks added instead?,

actually I think I might now I'm getting used to it.

I bumped into a former colleague this morning in a supermarket.  She went grey years ago when she was about 40.  She is pure white and her hair looks stunning.

I was just thinking about her the other day and told her this.  She said she thought I had had expensive highlights put in my hair!  maybe she was just being kind but it boosted me a bit!  :)

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2018, 01:47:51 PM »

Why would she say it if she didn't mean it ;-).

My late FinL saw someone go grey with shock  :-\ instantly.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2018, 06:16:21 PM »

Why would she say it if she didn't mean it ;-).

My late FinL saw someone go grey with shock  :-\ instantly.

Some people say things they dont mean but I hope she meant it.  :)

FiGo

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2018, 08:32:30 AM »

Bottom line Pennyfarthing is that if you had short hair it would take almost no time at all. For those of us with long hair which we've been dyeing dark brown and want to keep the length, it will feel like forever unless we try to meet it halfway by going a little shorter. I've also been advised to use one of these very temporary tints that wash out if I absolutely cannot stand the big grey border but I'm sceptical as I don't think they fade out completely. I took the plunge and went to a shoulder length cut not so much in preparation for going grey but because mine had thinned so much that it had become “not a good look”.  I get about 15mm of grey growth at the roots every 6-8 weeks so even with my shortish long hair I've decided I don't have the balls to get off the dyeing hamster wheel just yet. Im therefore really interested in how it goes for you. I love gorgeous grey so all the best!

Hezzalady67!

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2018, 09:08:15 AM »

In my case, with long hair,  it took three years to completely grow out and, along with menopause and related weight gain, it has only served to make me feel old and frumpy. So I decided to have it dyed again, but the dye wouldn't ‘take' on the fully grey hair! It only showed up on the underlayer where some of my original natural colour remained.

Not sure why it worked when I was only having roots done, but won't stick now...maybe because the rest of it it had been coloured over and over which had changed the texture.

Sorry to be the voice of doom, I do hope everyone else enjoys their grey hair and has better luck.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 09:10:03 AM by Hezzalady67! »

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2018, 04:27:17 PM »

Bottom line Pennyfarthing is that if you had short hair it would take almost no time at all. For those of us with long hair which we've been dyeing dark brown and want to keep the length, it will feel like forever unless we try to meet it halfway by going a little shorter. I've also been advised to use one of these very temporary tints that wash out if I absolutely cannot stand the big grey border but I'm sceptical as I don't think they fade out completely. I took the plunge and went to a shoulder length cut not so much in preparation for going grey but because mine had thinned so much that it had become “not a good look”.  I get about 15mm of grey growth at the roots every 6-8 weeks so even with my shortish long hair I've decided I don't have the balls to get off the dyeing hamster wheel just yet. Im therefore really interested in how it goes for you. I love gorgeous grey so all the best!

Thanks to you and Hezzalady.  The  hairdresser came a few weeks ago and I told her I wanted a couple of inches taking off, we started talking and by the time she had packed her things away I looked on the floor and there were a few wispy bits!  next time she comes I am going to insist she takes off 2 or 3 inches.  Its long and I never have it down anyway so as long as I can just twist it up on my head that will do me.

Hezzalady  - i also feel old and frumpy!  I bought some new clothes and shoes last week so maybe I will feel better when I actually get to wear them.

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2018, 10:36:25 PM »

Grey hair is coarse so doesn't take colour the same way as 'new' hair will. 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2018, 03:57:15 PM »

I now have some lovely white streaks in my hair and its all happening quite fast.  I like it!  I bought some shampoo called A Touch of Silver which is supposed to make the grey nice and tone down any dyed hair so it looks less brassy.  I tried it this morning and can report its lovely.  It makes your hair really soft and it feels better than its felt for ages.

The shampoo is purple which is a bit scary but it doesnt colour the hair purple.  Exciting times!  ;D

hairdresser is coming on Friday and I am going to make her cut off at least 2or 3inches.

Two hoots

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2018, 04:17:40 PM »

My mum has grey hair and was advised by her hairdresser to use that shampoo to give it a lovely shine  :)

CLKD

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2018, 05:02:51 PM »

How long does one leave it on for?  Mum has gone white, hopefully  ;) I may follow
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 03:47:13 PM by CLKD »

Two hoots

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2018, 05:51:36 PM »

It's a normal shampoo except for the purple colour, there are other shampoo/conditioners that are purple to give grey hair a nice shine, apparently not all grey hair is shiny so the purple helps  ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5