Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Which vitamins?  (Read 12310 times)

Shadyglade

Re: Which vitamins?
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2018, 07:22:46 AM »

Okay 👌, if you are happy with that then that's fine for you. However if I were to consider taking K2, which seems to be quite expensive, I would need to see some solid science. And, at the moment, there doesn't seem to be any.

Sorry.

dangermouse

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2018, 10:30:15 AM »

You'll struggle to find double blind placebo research studies on vitamins, minerals and supplements. Only the drug companies can afford to do such thorough expensive research.

Professional advice and trial and error is your best bet. A flexible open mind is needed and we can be at more risk by being risk averse! (My auditor just taught me that).

Shadyglade

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2018, 10:34:51 AM »

I am not risk adverse but I won't take anything with out adequate information. We are all altimately responsible for our own health.

Cassie

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2018, 02:58:01 PM »

Agree Dangermouse but each to their own.

Shadyglade

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2018, 07:51:36 AM »

Well girls you are getting a little rude (Cassie and dangermouse), by implying that I am either scared or stupid, when all I was asking for was more information.  However you have spurred me on to find the information I was looking for.

Firstly there is no test for K2 deficiency, no one knows what the optimum level should be and therefore what would be the right dose to take. 

Secondly the only reason given anywhere for taking a K2 supplement is that modern farming methods mean that cattle and cows are not feed grass.  This, if you live in the UK is a wrong assertion.

https://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/farmingfood/animalfeed/what-farm-animals-eat

Just in case you don't want to read it here is the relevant section:-

Cattle
Dairy cows and beef cattle are usually fed grass during the summer months and conserved forage (grass or maize silage, or hay) in the winter. These forages may be supplemented with cereals and other by-products to increase milk yield or liveweight gain. The diets of both may also include, as available, forage crops such as kale and rapeseed, root crops (turnips and fodder beet), and the pulp remaining from the processing of sugar beet or citrus fruit.

So there you go, mainly grass and even in the winter it is likely to be grass silage or hay (supplemented by other food stuffs).  I would also add that there are vast areas of the planet where beef meat and dairy products are not eaten and never have been. 

I am sorry if my persistance annoys you but I have always lived my life on a 'need to know' bases, and I need to know everything.

Cassie

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2018, 10:43:20 AM »

No one is being rude Shadyglade, you are being overly sensitive, enough said, peace out, take what you like, I repeat, each to their own.

dangermouse

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2018, 10:38:30 AM »

As Cassie says, no offence was intended and being risk averse has nothing to do with fear or stupidity.

I just meant that if we only act on certainty then we may miss opportunities to discover things that make us feel better. I fortunately have and I don't want you and others to miss out from finding your own little gems. There's still so much that science is yet to uncover!

Shadyglade

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2018, 10:40:41 AM »

Well perhaps then you should limit your comments to the content on what I say and not me personally.  I am not risk adverse or over sensitive.

Thank you.

dangermouse

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2018, 12:21:58 PM »

I was addressing everyone (I said ‘we' can be too risk averse, not ‘you'). I can be too risk averse myself but fortunately not over sensitive.  8)

Re. the research, you are not the only person on the forum who has requested research when alternatives or people's off-road personal experiences are being discussed, when these are obviously harder to find research on but can be just as valid as HRT. I'd assumed you felt the same as you seemed to have an open mind towards alternatives too.

Shadyglade

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2018, 12:37:34 PM »

I've moved on now dangermouse, but thank you for your reply anyway.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2018, 10:19:56 PM »

If one eats a healthy, varied diet one shouldn't need supplements or vitamins although having said that, I fell into the trap last year of not getting enough sunshine  :(.  A blood test 5 weeks after I began feeling really tired showed I was low and hey presto! a few weeks of swallowing capsules helped ease symptoms.  I began to think that I had something really serious going on  :-\

In the UK most cattle get access to grass at some points of the year.  As do sheep and pigs across Norfolk, I were watching some yesterday.  Some farmers began allowing their cows to go into and off fields as they wished, going to the milking parlour when they needed relief because the udders were getting heavy. Don't know whether that idea worked or not  ::).  My Uncle was a herdsman ......... sorry, a bit of meander  ::).

I love my greens.  But they gives I wind  :-X.  However.  We eat beef at least once a week, I'm not keen on fish though DH eats lots and we eat curries often, chicken roasted with greens, pumpkin, squash and roasties, I love raw cauli and broccoli: we never have enough garden for the amount of fresh peas and beans that I would love to grow  ........... not as much cheese as when I was growing up although currently I am into Goats' soft cheese for lunch on crackers with lots of grapes on the side.   Does anyone else go 'off' foods that they have enjoyed for
weeks .......  :-\ ?
Pages: 1 2 [3]