Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Tennis Elbow  (Read 12902 times)

getting_old

Tennis Elbow
« on: February 28, 2018, 10:47:41 PM »

Anyone got any suggestions for curing tennis elbow quickly please?
I've had it for almost 2 months now, in addition to everything else, and it's not improving despite weekly trips to the physiotherapist  :-\

ellie

Re: Tennis Elbow
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 09:08:21 AM »

G .O do you know what has caused it?   It's usually when you do a repetitive movement, for example I used to love to crochet but had to give it up because it was causing  elbow pain . Do you do anything that causes a repetitive movement?.....I had a steroid injection and that helped, have you tried this?

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 09:25:27 AM »

You poor thing, I had it a few years ago for 6 months, really affected me at work, couldn't even use a stapler.  Being the wuss I am I didn't have injections

Hubbys one hasn't long finished and he's was 9+ months x

Jaya Rao

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 10:24:16 AM »

Hi . I have just joined the forum and am a retired medical doctor. Have you tried Acupuncture? This treatment does not entail taking any medication and can help in 50% of cases.

suziq99

• GBX Marine
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 02:56:53 PM »

I was told there isn't really a quick fix. I've had it 7 months now & just starting to get a little improvement, oestiopath helped a bit & using a tens machine on & off. Rest it as much as u can ! & Stretch tendons without causing pain.
I've just started taking turmeric, as in golden paste, as it's an anti inflammatory, hoping it may help.
Good luck.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 03:52:59 PM »

It's wear and tear so no quick fix.  Do you have to do regular exercises?

getting_old

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 07:27:20 PM »

The pain started when I picked up a large bottle of water. It's my left arm and I can't think of any repetitive things I do with it.
I have tried the tennis elbow braces you can buy at the chemist, but I didn't find it comfortable and it kept moving.
I'm not keen on having injections but I think I'll investigate acupuncture, although it sounds like it's just going to take a long time to recover. Hmmmm, I'm not very patient  :'(

Daisydot

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 08:34:50 PM »

I had a problem with my elbow and my physio put a couple of needles up just above my shoulder at base of neck and it really helped xx

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 08:42:20 PM »

Pulled the muscle over the elbow maybe rather than 'tennis' elbow? 

Annika

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 11:54:54 PM »

Honestly hate to be the bearer of bad news but I've had mine for the last six years in both elbows. The doctor says its the way you grip and repeat actions make it flare up. Usually if I spend time sweeping or mopping flooring it starts it off so I switched to a steam cleaner which doesn't have the same type of grip and I go slow. He offered the cortisone shots but I declined after I saw the enormous needle they use  :o at one point I used a velcro brace that wraps around the arm and rests the area and also take 12 hour pain relief that helps a whole lot.

Lalb1

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 09:18:03 AM »

I suddenly developed Tennis elbow last year, hadn't done anything differently nothing with a repetitive movement.
I went to the docs and they said it was tennis elbow and prescribed naproxen.
I was due to go away and didn't want to be in pain so tried allsorts of other stuff to help, a support bandage, ibuprofen gel, heat packs. Nothing seemed to help for long. I was told about some cream something to do with bee pollen? Think it was called propolis??I tried it and seemed to get a little relief.
Must say aswell I found that the hot Portugal sun and swimming in the pool helped loads. It niggled for a while  but touch wood hasn't been as bad since. Still get the occasional twinge but I think it was yet another sign of perimenopause.

Daisydot

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 09:40:15 AM »

I had an mri scan done which showed problems with my discs crumbling in my neck and this was one of the symptoms I had,my elbow absolutely killed,it varies between my shoulder,rotator cuff, and my elbow right down to my ring finger.as I said my oesreopath put a couple of needles,dry needling it's called,into my neck/ shoulder area and I got instant relief but it doesn't last long also it completely disappears sometimes so it could be a pinched nerve,maybe it's the same for you if your pinning your shoulders up against your ears like many of us do it could be that trapping a nerve so try relaxing your neck/shoulders more,once your aware you actually do this you tend to naturally stop and drop your shoulders more.good luck xx

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 12:05:19 PM »

I thought of you when I pulled the muscle over my right elbow yesterday  >:( enough to make me go 'ouch!'.

The tennis elbow needle is small compared with the one into the hip  ;)  :-X

These conditions would heal within about 2 years if the affected joint is rested; but of course we breath, sneeze, lay in bed, need to lift that cuppa/glass to the lips  ??? Some people find the rub in gels give relief, others have the injection which helps, some take pain relief. 

Snoooze

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 02:35:59 PM »

I had an mri scan done which showed problems with my discs crumbling in my neck and this was one of the symptoms I had,my elbow absolutely killed,it varies between my shoulder,rotator cuff, and my elbow right down to my ring finger.as I said my oesreopath put a couple of needles,dry needling it's called,into my neck/ shoulder area and I got instant relief but it doesn't last long also it completely disappears sometimes so it could be a pinched nerve,maybe it's the same for you if your pinning your shoulders up against your ears like many of us do it could be that trapping a nerve so try relaxing your neck/shoulders more,once your aware you actually do this you tend to naturally stop and drop your shoulders more.good luck xx

That's interesting Daisy as I have had a problem with my neck for ages and now get problems in my shoulder, elbow and ring finger.

Daisydot

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 02:56:59 PM »

Another day interesting thing I found out is that oestrogen helps to plump up those discs again partially the neck ones so as my mri scans have shown my discs right through my spine have badly degenerated especially the neck ones so for me another good reason to stick with the hrt.all I'll say is just be careful when they're labelling things ie tennis elbow frozen shoulder etc as it's not always as cut and dried as that.xx
Pages: [1] 2 3