Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: HRT patches  (Read 1143 times)

Emma L

HRT patches
« on: February 24, 2018, 11:20:41 PM »

Hi. I'm looking for some advice on HRT patches. To cut a long story short, I was diagnosed a few years ago with early menopause at the age of 29 and have had a bit of a rollercoaster since as I can't find any treatments my body likes! I was in eleste duet but put on so much weight and felt all over the place. Then I went on the contraceptive pill but its given me really heavy bleeding. I'm now on nothing whilst my gp and consultant work out the best way forward. Only Bern off the pill less than 2weeks and hot flushes have returned, migraines,spots and feeling very down. I feel like I've been all over the place for nearly 3 years and still no further forward. They said I will need hormone treatment tiill I'm about 50 - I can't go on like this for another 18 years!! They are considering putting me on patches. Do people think these are successful? Do they cause weight gain? My self confidence with going through this so young with the added pressure of feeling so fat is getting on top of me!!!

hoping4best

Re: HRT patches
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 02:35:22 AM »

Hi Emma,
I was post-menopausal before 40 due to premature ovarian failure. It is so frustrating! I'm 43 now.

I have been on a patch plus oral or vaginal micronized progesterone for about 4 years. I bled intermittently on continuous progesterone, and then had almost a year of controlled bleeding on cyclical which was much better. But I've been bleeding for the last 35! days so may need to make a change. I think mine is caused by adenomyosis.

I do think the patch can work if you can get the bleeding to be predictable or successfully surpress it with daily progesterone. (I wish there were more options other than a hysterectomy, which I'd rather not do!)

Other than bleeding, I have significant hair loss/shedding that I help a little with minoxidil. Those issues aside, I feel good in other ways on the patch - good energy, emotionally stable and healthy.

If you have POF, you might want to check out the Daisy Network if you haven't already.

Dancinggirl

Re: HRT patches
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 09:07:38 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM Emma L

I started the meno in my mid 39s so understand your dilemma. Finding the right hormone combination is tough.
The weight gain is probably nothing to do with the HRT but more to do with simply being menopausal!!! When any women reaches the meno, she tends to find the weight can creep up so I'm afraid it's about permanently reducing the amount you eat-  so eat small meals regularly, cutting out as much sugar as possible and make sure everything you eat is well balanced and highly nutritious.
Exercise is crucial as well - 10 mins of brisk walking 3 times a days into you daily routine can make a big difference. If you can do some dance classes or some aerobic exercise, all the better.
Now to the HRT- I would stick with a sequential HRT and put up with monthly periods as at your age it is probably better and taking any progesterone all the time can result in more side effects eg mood swings or PMT -  progesterine in Elleste is the worst for this and your gynae should have known this.
I would ask to try Oestrogen only patches( Estradot are best) or you could try Oestrogel ( which I always preferred). You will then need progesterone for 10-12 days each month and this could be Provera or Utrogestan - all progesterones can bring side effects but these are the kindest.
Another alternative would be to have a Mirena fitted and then use seperate oestrogen as patch or gel and this usually results in no bleeding at all.
I personally wouldn't use the continuous combined HRT patches as I suspect you would have similar problems as before.
There is another option: there is a BCP which might be suitable called Qlaria - this has bio identical Oestrogen and I believe can often be effective for younger women.
If I were you,  I would stick to a sequential HRT regime, as I have highlighted above, or have a Mirena fitted and have separate oestrogen. Do change your diet and try to get more active and hopefully things will settle.
Look under TREATMENTS on this site and print off everthing to discuss with your doctors.
DG x