Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Leg cramps ? Loestrin  (Read 2470 times)

Lalb1

Leg cramps ? Loestrin
« on: February 22, 2018, 10:46:23 PM »

Hi again,
Just a quick query, I started on Loestrin 20 on Saturday night. Woke up this morning with a cramp feeling in my left calf.
Didn't think anything of it just thought I'd walk it on as a busy day at work planting 300 trees with the kids.
As I walked down the steps in Work it felt like the calf muscle cramped again and it's been painful ever since. Can't place my foot flat on the floor or it feels crampy and I can't walk quite right.
Looked up online and it seems some people do experience leg cramps from this pill?
Do I carry on or go get something else? Might well be  one off but it's painful even as laid in bed, have checked it's not swollen or red or warm to the touch.
Thanks

dangermouse

Re: Leg cramps ? Loestrin
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 06:35:05 AM »

As long as it doesn't get worse, wait until Monday to see if better as I started back last week and my left calf (which used to be occasionally tighter when flying etc.) did something similar. It's now gone away and I remember it takes just over a week to subdue the hormones. Until then, the ethinylestradiol does cause higher oestrogen.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 08:41:39 AM »

Sounds like you have pulled a muscle or ligament to me.
I assume you have just started this BCP?
Do some gentle stretching, keep it warm and if things  don't subside by Monday perhaps pop to the GP for reasurence. DG x

Lalb1

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 07:13:18 PM »

Thanks for the replies Dancinggirl and Dangermouse.

Yeah only started this new brand of pill last Saturday so it'll be a week tomorrow.

Never really suffered with cramps before so this was a weird feeling.
Hurt so bad yesterday whenever I moved leg or toes. It ached all night too every time I moved my leg it felt like it could cramp up again.
Purposely wore boots with a heel today to help with walking as couldn't keep hobbling with the flat foot.
As the day has gone on it's gotten a little less tight and sore. If I move it wrong it still gives a twinge like cramps.

Am guessing as you say it can take a week or so for the hormones to get into my system.
Will see how it goes over the weekend.
Many thanks 😊

On a side note I've noticed the itchiness in my arms is back,no rash at the moment though. I'm seriously wondering if it's a reaction to whatever is in this pill aswell as was in the Microgynon. 😕

dangermouse

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 07:32:34 PM »

Itchiness can be a sign of oestrogen nose diving. I've had it last few days (not just arms though, like skin crawling itchiness all over) as mine was sooooo high last week so hoping the pill has over-ridden my cycle to bring the surging oestrogen down.

I used to get the itchiness after ovulation too, with a lovely feeling of relief!

Lalb1

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 07:47:31 PM »

The itchiness was part of the reason I came off the original pill for a while as I wanted to see where my own hormones were symptom wise.
But can't put up with the weird stuff happening and the horrendous period cramps when off the pill.
So started in the Loestrin, and yesterday I felt itchy all over again. Then last night and today the general lower arm ache and itchiness started again, as I said tho no rash this time and it's actually at a different point in my cycle as to when it was before Xmas and in Jan. (Then it was the week before my period).
Will give this pill a try till next period due and see where my symptoms are .
Thanks

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 08:43:18 PM »

Hi Lalb1

I would be quite cautious if you are getting leg cramps or stabbing pains in one leg. How old are you? Not wanting to alarm you but I would suggest please check out the information on this link and see if you fall into any of the risk factor categories eg re blood clots etc eg if you smoke etc or family history.
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/sexual-health/a8144/loestrin-20-ethinylestradiol-and-norethisterone/

There are other pills which might be more suitable for women going through menopause which contain estradiol rather than the synthetic ethinylestradiol - these are QLAIRA or ZOELY, although the oestrogen dose is lower.

Hurdity x

Lalb1

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 10:23:31 PM »

Hasty and Hurdity,
Thankyou for your replies.
I don't fall into the categories as far as I'm aware. No smoking,overweight or family history of blood clots.
I'm 43.

I was on Microgynon 30 before for about 18months and came off that beginning of January, was off it 5 weeks and now started on Loestrin 20, doc said it was low dose to try and combat symptoms.
I tried asking about the birth control mentioned but the Male doc fobbed me off and spoke over me.
Will see how it goes over the weekend and if no better I will get it checked out.
Thanks 😊