Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: What stage do I stop  (Read 1353 times)

Millykin

What stage do I stop
« on: February 22, 2018, 07:17:34 PM »

Hi
Not been on here for a while. Basically I am just wondering how you know when to change HRT or stop or what next?
I was having periods every 3 months years ago, started Femoston 2/10 for year and regular monthly bleed, then bad headaches so went down to 1/10, been on that for couple of years now. I haven't had a bleed for few months now, not a problem, but just wondered when you know to change from bleeding one to non bleeding one ? Or when you are classed as post menopause?

Dancinggirl

Re: What stage do I stop
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 08:57:57 PM »

If you feel good on what you are using now then don't change a thing. Moving to a conti HRT can bring more side effects. Maybe take a break when you get to 60 to see how you cope. Many women stay with the sequi HRT well into post meno to avoid the negative effects of using progesterone every day.
Don't try to fix what ain't broke. DG x

Millykin

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 09:18:50 PM »

Thanks DG just wasn't sure if you are allowed to stay in sequi when bleeding ceases or if you had to change, I feel things are good just now, even better without bleeding! I'm 47 just not sure how long they let you stay on HRT, been on it 5 yrs. GP no good we only have locums and never see same one twice and no one clued up. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 08:29:25 AM »

There are no good reasons to move to Conti HRT unless you find the monthly bleeds a real nuisance. If you are not getting bleeds this probably means your womb lining isn't building up, however you may find they do start again or arrive some months and not others.
The old 5 year rule for HRT doesn't apply now and it was only ever for women who started HRT in their 50s. It's best to review when you reach 60 as after 60 there is a very slight increased risk of breast cancer after that. Many women do continue with HRT well into their 60s and beyond if they are benefiting and do not have health issues that prevent this.
Relax, you need this HRT for the long term health of your bones and heart and don't let your GP ask you to take a break from HRT until at least 55 - even then I'd put up a fight and say you need to keep with this till 60.
The new guidelines are quite clear - as long as a women is  healthy and fully understands the small risks of using hrt beyond 60,  then it should be her decision whether to continue HRT or not. We get so annoyed with doctors who keep emphasising all the risks without considering the benfits to our general health and well-being.
DG x