Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: MRI scan for vertigo-surprising result  (Read 2084 times)

ariadne

MRI scan for vertigo-surprising result
« on: February 20, 2018, 09:25:34 PM »

My husband has been suffering from vertigo attacks since the summer and had an MRI scan recently to rule out things like brain tumour. We went for the result today and the consultant started off by saying there was nothing suspicious causing the vertigo and tinnitus, asked how my husband had been getting on lately (which was good as no episodes of vertigo for a few months) , asked about how much the tinnitus bothered him ( not too much at the moment) and then he casually dropped into the conversation that the MRI scan showed a small infarction indicating that he had had a silent stroke sometime and that he was referring him to the stroke team!

We were shocked to say the least. The consultant did say that many people may have the same but unless they have an MRI scan, they would never know. The stroke team appointment is to assess risk factors to avoid the possibility of further strokes.

All very worrying. But he did discharge my husband from the ENT clinic though as he felt the vertigo had stabilized.

Ariadne xx

Salad

Re: MRI scan for vertigo-surprising result
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 11:19:05 PM »

Sounds a bit scary!!!
Hope he gets on well at the clinic
 :foryou:

groundhog

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 12:15:13 AM »

Hi Ariadne,
Think that's the trouble with these tests.  I've had loads tests since bowel perforation 3 years ago.  I too developed tinnitus in the midst of it all and  had a head MRI.  Nothing wrong with my ears but they found a brain lesion!  Said it could have been there forever and I too wouldn't have known about it had it not been for the mri.  MRI are so sensitive these days which is a good thing but can cause worries too.  They told me the lesion was nothing to worry about but what do I do - worry, sometimes if  get a headache or anything like that. 
Hope your husband gets good news at the clinic xx

ariadne

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 07:41:30 AM »

Thank you both. Yes he's worrying now about headaches and fuzzy head feelings, as am I. Let's hope the stroke team can give us more information than the ENT consultant as dropping it casually into the conversation didn't provide us with the full details.

Ariadne xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 12:07:46 PM »

In other words, the ENT Consultant isn't particularly worried or your DH would have been referred from that Clinic.  It is true that many of us have potentially problematic issues that remain unseen and don't go on to cause any problems  ::) until someone drops it into the conversation.

Is your DH able to take a cancellation appt., if so, once the appt. arrives give the Hospital a ring and make the suggestion.  If he can be ready at the drop of a hat ......... or you may find that the appt. isn't too far ahead.

I have various sudden pains in my head and the fuzzy head feelings, but I have a cold right now ...........