Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Calcium deficiency  (Read 3472 times)

Juneo

Calcium deficiency
« on: February 19, 2018, 06:03:59 PM »

So I'm learning all the time from the fan knowledge the ladies have on this site and I've ow realised I have been suffering with VA for approximately two years and was not picked up by my gp I pushed to see a gynaecologist and saw her two years ago she told me to use epaderm ointment internally twice a day and use steroid cream if it got really bad and there was no follow up and this is what I put up with. My daughter did her own research and asks me to go back to my gp to ask for blood tests she was adamant I was lacking in something and after three trips to the gp and three doctors later I was finally sent for my blood test, the result was I'm post menopausal and my gp then suggested eleste estrogen patches and then I was given vagifem. I feel like I'm finally taking control of my own body instead of going through the motions its early days but if it wasn't for my daughter and the ladies on here I would still be going through the motions. I had a vaginal hysterectomy when I was 32 with both overlies left in but had to have one removed 15 years ago at the age of 38. I have been on adcal for the last 3 years as my calcium levels were low just wondering what anyone thinks about that? I am on 100mg of sirtriline. I am tired all the time palpations are awful my memory is shocking and libido non excitant I have been married for 35 years and I am 53 I have arthritis in my foot and was diagnoy with an under active thyroid at 50. I am trying so hard to stay positive I really appreciate the advice I have been given thankyou :)

Dancinggirl

Re: Calcium deficiency
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 06:35:16 PM »

I would like to start by saying you have been brave and resourceful - you should be proud of yourself.

Now you are on the systemic and local Oestrogen things should gradually improve but it will probably take time.
If you can, I'd try to get diet and exercise optimised and really relax as much as possible to allow the hormones to work their magic.
Once spring is underway, get out in the fresh air and sunshine to get the Vitamin D - if you can do brisk walks of 10-15 mins, 3 times each day, then this can work wonders. I do hope you are taking vitamin D and magnesium supplements as these are vital for calcium absorbtion. The symptoms of vitamin D deficiency are: fatigue, lowered immune system and low mood - so it's a vital supplement.
You might want to review the Sertraline? - as you start to feel better, maybe you can begin to wean yourself off this slowly to see if you really need it.
I wish you all the best - you are in the right road. DG x

Juneo

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 09:13:18 AM »

Thankyou dancingirl your advice has been amazing and your kind words I take Adcal-d 3 -600mg calcium carbonate and 10 migrograms of vitamin d3. To be honest it wasent explained to me that this to could effect fatigue and low mood etc I should have looked into it myself thankyou for letting me know. And I agree about the sirtriline I will be reviewing this once my mood etc improves. I'm at my lowest at the minute but I now feel I have a sense of direction and I think with an under active thyroid,calcium deficiency, low pottasium and depression and to top that low estrogen its finally registered why I am as tired as I am so I am starting today I'm off for a walk and will try to help myself thankyou again x

Meeka

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 09:52:57 AM »

Hi Juneo,

I'm not clear how your calcium deficiency was diagnosed?   I know vitamin D deficiency is quite common and detected by a blood test but not sure why you are supplemented with calcium carbonate.  I know it is often given to post menopausal women to protect bones but recent research found that calcium is usually adequately found in a healthy diet and calcium carbonate can have associated risks to cardiac health.  It is basically an inorganic kind of calcium and not the best kind of calcium to take long term.  Here is a link to some information.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4125316/
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:00:06 AM by Meeka »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 12:16:30 PM »

Meeka - Juneo is taking the calcium under medical advice. I suspect because she was identified as having low bone density and this can emerge for all kinds of reasons. Of course we should ensure that we get enough calcium in our diet but appropriate supplementation is often necessary.
I have a friend who is slim, fit, active and has always eaten a fabulous healthy diet but after she slipped down on a pavement and broke her sacrum, it was discovered that she had advanced stage osteoporosis!!! She was only 55! She had sailed through her her menopause with barely a single flush so hadn't needed HRT.  She was then diagnosed with aggressive Breast cancer. She is fortunately doing well but diet and calcium supplements to help her bones are not enough - she has to have the horrid infusions that can have nasty side effects.
We often have to take or do things that have side effects or consequences just to keep some quality of life. DG x

Joaniepat

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 12:42:25 PM »

Thanks for posting this Meeka, it makes interesting reading, especially as calcium supplementation is the  current received wisdom. We need to research possible adverse effects and not believe everything we are told by GPs. Then we can take informed decisions based on up to date research.
JP x

Meeka

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 01:05:03 PM »

Meeka - Juneo is taking the calcium under medical advice. I suspect because she was identified as having low bone density and this can emerge for all kinds of reasons. Of course we should ensure that we get enough calcium in our diet but appropriate supplementation is often necessary.
I have a friend who is slim, fit, active and has always eaten a fabulous healthy diet but after she slipped down on a pavement and broke her sacrum, it was discovered that she had advanced stage osteoporosis!!! She was only 55! She had sailed through her her menopause with barely a single flush so hadn't needed HRT.  She was then diagnosed with aggressive Breast cancer. She is fortunately doing well but diet and calcium supplements to help her bones are not enough - she has to have the horrid infusions that can have nasty side effects.
We often have to take or do things that have side effects or consequences just to keep some quality of life. DG x

Sorry to hear your friend is having to endure the infusions.  I have found a link to from the National Osteoporosis Society which gives balanced advice with regard to calcium supplementation.  Juneo did specifically ask for opinions on calcium supplementation.

https://nos.org.uk/about-osteoporosis/your-bone-strength/a-balanced-diet-for-bones/calcium-supplements-and-blood-tests/

Meeka

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 01:09:10 PM »

Thanks for posting this Meeka, it makes interesting reading, especially as calcium supplementation is the  current received wisdom. We need to research possible adverse effects and not believe everything we are told by GPs. Then we can take informed decisions based on up to date research.
JP x

Glad you found it interesting.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 07:53:56 PM »

Hi Juneo

I'm pleased to hear you are now on oestrogen patches - how long have you been having these and what is the dose? If you are in UK you are likely to have been given Estradot, Evorel or maybe Estraderm? They usually come in 50 mcg, 75 mcg or high dose 100 mcg.  Depending on hw long you have been taking the sertraline - you should probably have been given the oestrogen HRT long ago instead of the  sertraline but in the absence of periods for docs to determine your cycle, menopausal symptoms would have been missed, and low mood treated in the only way that GPs seem to know ie with anti-depressants! As Dancinggirl says, once you are settled on the HRT you may well be able to wean yourself off these in favour of oestrogen. One of the side effects of ADs can be low libido so you would be helping yourself there by reducing these if you can. The other possibility is taking testosterone (gel) for libido and fatigue but I would ideally try to reduce the ADs first.

You mention underactive thyroid - and fatigue. Do you also feel cold, and are overweight? If so could your thyroid meds need adjusting? Some women find their thyroid condition and the dosage of meds changes at menopause, and especially with some HRT types so maybe time to review - apologies if you are already doing this!

OK none of what I've said has anything to do with calcium and I haven't read the links but just picking up on some of the things that have been said and hope it's helpful :)

Hurdity x

Juneo

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 03:09:19 PM »

Thankyou dancing girl,meeka and hurdity I will try and answer all I was told by my gp around the same time I was found to have an under active thyroid just before my 50th birthday that a routine blood test showed my calcium levels were low I have this checked every six months. I will have a look at the link meeka.Hurdity I started Elleste solo MX 40 patches 3 weeks on Friday and vagifem 10 microgrammes, I was on amyriptiline 40mg for the last three years but have had a few family problems recentley so I was changed two weeks ago to sirtriline. I do feel col I did mention this to my gp he said my fsh levels came back fine and that I need to take my 50mg of levothyroxine on an evening now. Fed up taking all this medication I take pantoprazole and rantitadine as I have acid reflux and a small amount of Barretts oesophagus so the ppi are to prevent acid which is under review in late march.I do feel that the antidepressants were wrongly given the more I think about it as I had a hysterectomy when I was 32 I had one of my overies removed approx 15 years ago it was never mentioned to me about oestrogen or blood tests?. It wasn't until my daughter started to look into my symptoms and use of ad which she has never agreed with and coming on here has really made me think about my symptoms etc and how to move forward xx