Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Tachyphylaxis  (Read 2644 times)

blueblue82

Tachyphylaxis
« on: February 19, 2018, 03:28:58 PM »

Hi. I have been on Estrofem for 2 months for my symptoms. It worked amazingly but horrifyingly I have developed tachyphylaxis. Nothing works now, not creams, not gels, not pills.

I was wondering two things:

Has anyone successfully reversed tachyphylaxis? How?

And I know tachyphylaxis to bioidentical estrogen translates to tachyphylaxis to synthetic estrogen, but does it also translate to tachyphylaxis to phytoestrogens? Or might those still work for me?

Thanks. :'(

Dotty

Re: Tachyphylaxis
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 04:22:15 PM »

Who has told you that you have got tachyphlaxis?

blueblue82

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 04:34:33 PM »

My endocrinologist said it seems like I have it, and there is simply no other explanation. My body simply won't react to estrogen anymore no matter how much I put in it.

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 04:36:07 PM »

Tachyphlaxis usually happens with oestrogen implants.

Have you only been on hrt for 2 months?

blueblue82

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 04:37:48 PM »

I was on and off it for a month, and then steadily for 2 months. I believe my dosage was too high and that's what caused it.

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 04:41:13 PM »

Have you tried a different hrt and a different dosage?

blueblue82

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 04:42:00 PM »

Absolutely, I've tried lower and higher dosages, as well as creams, gels, patches, and synthetic pills. All work for a few days, and then stop.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 05:04:08 PM »

Hi blueblue82

:welcomemm:

Whereabouts are you in menopause and what were your periods doing before you started the HRT? I presume you are not in UK as I haven't heard of that one and it's not listed on this website as an HRT type?

Also what are the symptoms you are seeking relief from?

You can only consclusively say you have tachyphylaxis if your oestrogen levels consistently show higher levels than physiologically usually during the menstrual cycle. There is some information here on John Studd's website: http://www.studd.co.uk/implants.php ( scroll down).

Also I found an article here:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/getting-hooked-on-hrt-1326963.html

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

blueblue82

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 05:12:19 PM »

Thank you for the links. I have read those, but unfortunately they don't mention any solutions. I am only a few months in, and my periods were steady up until they basically disappeared before menopause. I am in the US, Estrofem is an estradiol pill. I am going to get my blood tested, but I am sure it's the problem.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 07:39:39 PM »

Sorry I couldn't help - but also I don't think phytooestrogens will work instead. They are very weak oestrogens with mixed evidence as to their efficacy and might work a little for some women with very mild symptoms.

So you had regular 4 weekly periods which then stopped? When was your last natural one and how long after they stopped did you start HRT?

I'm also wondering what you are using for the progestogen component of your HRT - do you have a Mirena perhaps?

Also what symptoms do you have that you feel the Estrofem is ineffective in relieving?

Hope you don't mind the questions but just trying to understand a little more to see if any of us can help further?

Hurdity x